1966 Unimog 404.114 Pricing Query

ozymandias24

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and wanted to get some opinions on the value of this Unimog:

It's a 1966 Unimog 404.114, Ex-German Army radio box.

• Mercedes M180 engine; 2.2 litre, 6 cylinder petrol
  • Left hand drive, registered under standard license.
  • Roof tent - AutoCamp Safari 1.3 (1.3m x 2.2m)
  • 2 x 60L tanks (standard) and 5 x 20L jerry cans (under the vehicle)
  • Dual burner / grill stove on butane
  • 40L Engel fridge
  • 750W alternator to charge main (24V) and auxiliary (charged at 24V, discharged at 12V) batteries as well as 2-65W solar panels (12V), and a small 950W generator
  • 24V; 12,000 lb (5443kg) Champion Winch
  • Electronic ignition system fitted
  • Custom made roof rack
  • Two spare wheels
  • Immobiliser
  • 35,000 miles on the clock
  • 12 months MOT
  • Tax exempt as a historic vehicle

As you can see, it's one of a kind and very well looked after. Was just wondering about the price. Saw something similar on www.xor.org.uk for £8000.

Thanks!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Forgot to attach an image!
That's a nice looking truck. In general, the issue with 404s is whether they have enough power and whether the cab is physically big enough for the driver and, if applicable, passenger. If it meets these criteria, the biggest issue becomes its general condition. The rule of thumb you most often hear is that it pays to buy the very best one you can afford, rather than figuring that you'll fix things later. Rust is particularly a concern and a rust-free unit is considerably more valuable than one needing rust repairs.

I'm no expert, but it seems that well-running, no issues 404 troop carriers go for $7-10K, so the unknown would be the value of the nice camping setup. I'm thinking, in the US, that maybe $12-15K is about right if the truck is nice. But I have no reason to think that Mogs are worth the same in the UK, so it'd be nice if one of the Mog experts from your area would offer a guess.

Toby2

Observer
Good 404 in the UK is going to be in the order of £2500-£3000. Mine is in good condition, canvas troop carrier. Paid £1800 for it but then another £1200 for 4 good Tyres. Haven't seen 404 actually selling for more, seen advertised for more but still around months later. Think the £8k is unrealistic although understandable from the sellers point of view if they have put alot of time / money in. Unfortunately hard to achieve at 8k, given you can get a tidy 406 (Atkinson Vos via has a couple on at the moment) or even a shabby but solid 1300. Again Atkinson vos has examples.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94