'04 x

7echo

Adventurer
Hey Nissan folks,

I looked at a 2004 xterra, 46k miles, 4 x 4, looked great inside and out. Any known issues with this particular model? It is on a dealer lot and they are asking $13k.

Comments are appreciated!

zaxtvnz

By the way, I have a 2004 X and I love it. It is plenty capable offroad in stock condition and is fun to drive. It is a little under powered but I've heard it is just because of the gearing.

So when I bought my Frontier (later we got an Xterra), we test drove both the Gen1 and Gen2.

We test drove the 2004 with the Nismo package, crew cab, 2wd, 3.3L V6... The salesman, wife, infant daughter, and I drove up this big hill near Renton, WA. The trucked dogged out and really lost power up the hill.

When we got back to the dealership, we got in a 2005 SE crew cab, 4wd, 4.0L V6... We went up the same hill... We POWERED UP THE HILL and it wasn't even a challenge for the vehicle.

So I chose what I could afford at the time, an SE 2005 for slightly more $$$ than the 2004 Nismo model.

I would suggest looking for a 2005+ Xterra vs a 2004- Xterra... Just my opinion, and you know those are just like **************, every one has one.

Slicky72

Adventurer
It depends on what type of driver you are , if you're expecting to haul *** then as mentioned above you may want to look at a second gen. However imho the first gens were built with a stouter drive train. I have an 02 X and love it , very reliable but thirsty on the gas . The only thing to watch for on the first gens other than the obvious used car stuff is the timing belt but with that low mileage you would be good for quite some time.

adrenaline503

Explorer
FYI, there was no 2004 Nismo model. Nismo started in 05. Not to say there wasn't a few Nismo parts or stickers on it, but I digress. The Frontier and Xterra share the same drive line, interior and front end. My 04 is slightly underpowered but not sluggish. I do think its more due to the gearing, off road I have never wanted a lower gear that 4lo first. As far as problems go, the steering is weak and the mileage sucks. Front suspension is torsion bar and not coil, bummer there. Otherwise, they are beasts off road.

XJINTX

Explorer
You don't mention if it's super charged? The first gens... are fun vehicles and can be prety capable but for 13K I'd look for a 2nd gen. Not only are 1st gens underpwered but gas milage sucks for what you get and even with the SC you need premium and only get a mild boost in power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94