FORM 29'er: Expeditions West

1speed

Explorer
I run Candys on everything INCLUDING my road bikes! If you need a bigger platform Crank Brothers also makes the "Acid" with the same mechanism.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very cool... I agree about SPD versus. I'm right at about 220 and I found I was clipping out of the Crank Brothers (egg beaters in this case) so easily that was dangerous for me. They're not adjustable. I'm on TIME universally since then and love them. They have 3 adjustments for stiffness and work great for bigger guys (or pretty much everyone) and are just as easy to get into. The Crank Brothers do have 4 points of entry though versus everyone else which is two. This is the biggest thing they have going but honestly its minimal. One thing about CB is the cleats wear out so you have to replace them once a season. Times will last indefinitely (I still have a 10 year old set I use).

My wife also tore her ACL because her Shimanos didn't release. Big big consequences and a very dangerous situation to be in. The aftermarket Shimano style (Ritchey makes the best version) are good though, they're basically Shimano without all the Shimano (stripped down to be basic like the Times or CB). I have a set I'll take a photo of. They're platforms on one side, clip in on the other - perfect. They're also on a gorgeous 1954 Hercules turned singlespeed cruiser bike we have, one of our coolest bikes...

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
My wife also tore her ACL because her Shimanos didn't release. Big big consequences and a very dangerous situation to be in. The aftermarket Shimano style (Ritchey makes the best version) are good though, they're basically Shimano without all the Shimano (stripped down to be basic like the Times or CB). I have a set I'll take a photo of. They're platforms on one side, clip in on the other - perfect. They're also on a gorgeous 1954 Hercules turned singlespeed cruiser bike we have, one of our coolest bikes...

This is why I ride SPD/platform combos on both my bikes. Every time I have crashed has been because I couldn't unclip and I have come very close to a tear like this many times before. About the only time I constantly clip in is when I'm on my commute to work but even on that bike I ride with these:

68-764688l.gif

I also just put a set of these Wellgos on my MTB:

wellgo-clipless-single-sided-mountain-bike-pedals-black-wpd-m17c_9005489_175.jpg

Not fancy or super expensive but fairly light and I have a nice big platform for the days I don't ride clipless.

I would like to try the crank bros one day just to see what the fuss is about.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
There is one major drawback to any Egg Beater system. It's possible to ********** the pedal on a rock with enough force to break the springs. Pretty common unfortunately. Has happened to many of my riding crew, including myself. When that happens, you can go from 4-sided entry to no-side entry. The other issue is the brass cleat which does't survive the walking that goes hand in hand with adventure riding. You can buy steel cleats for Egg Beaters, but they're almost scary to ride. Shoe choice is really imprtant with Egg Beaters since the pedal platform....isn't a platform at all.

Pedal choice is as personalized as anything. I favor Time Atac, and upper range SPD pedals. Like many people, I've noticed quite a difference between upper end SPD pedals (XT,XTR) and the entry level, or knock-off SPD pedals (M520, Ritchey, etc).

I'd also point out that a lot of disengagement woes are relative to shoe tread interfering with the pedal body. This plagues many of the platform clipless pedals.

I've tried them all and once again went back to XTR SPD pedals. They have indipendant dual entry in case one side gets bashed. They have adjustable tension. They have higher quality bearings than most. The cleats are steel and last forever. They clear mud and grit well enough to seldom be a hassle. I get about 10,000 miles out of a pair of XTR pedals. Even the triple Ti Egg Betters pooped out by the second season.

Last edited:

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Another distinction between Time/Crank Brothers and the SPD platform is lateral float. SPD pedals allow for only rotational float once clipped in. The lateral positioning of the foot is determined by the cleat position on the shoe and is fixed. Both Time and Crank Brothers pedals allow the foot to move laterally over the surface of the pedal when clipped in. Depending on individual biomechanics this may or may not be a good thing.

I agree with Flounder that most disengagement issues are cause by shoe tread interference. I also agree that high end Shimano SPDs are the most durable platform.

I ride XTR SPDs with Northwave shoes and they work without issue in all conditions including mud, sand and snow.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Excellent choice, Scott. I think you'll find that platform to be enough to inspire confidence when not fully clipped in, yet not so clunky it feels weird under foot. Those small platforms also help rotate the pedal as you go to clip in, which makes engagement feel cleaner. Who knows, might also serve to protect the actual pedal when you smash it agains a rock, not that you ever do that. :bike_rider:

Cool pedals.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
My next pedal of choice! I just need to decided what new frame they will be going on. 26" or 29", having a hard time making up my mind.

Troy

zeroland

Adventurer
Thanks to Scott for letting me have a ride on his brand new, factory clean Form. All I can say is that its an impressive MTB. Feels like I was picking up a road bike.
I am sold on the Hammer-Schmidt front crank. Just beautiful to shift!

Scott - it now needs a bit of dust on its tyres, and new singletrack trails to blast down :)

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
FYI, the new XTR platform of their "trail" spd's are now available on their SLX and lower cost pedals... Nice bike BTW Scott. Being a DH/FR guy I've shyed away from the wagon wheel, but Niner's WFO sure looks like fun. Or Intense's 2951 Proto bike.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles