Toyo or Michelin for Mercedes vario 814 4X4

Ullie

Adventurer
Here a picture of our vario 4X4 in its current form.

422427_3507671289813_1212735488_4635936_1371053895_n.jpg

423569_3507673849877_1212735488_4635940_506454024_n.jpg

Tyres are Toyo tyre M608, 285/70 R19,5
We bought the rims at Twiga Travel car. (http://twigatravelcars.nl/index.html)

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Ullie,
The van is looking great!
Did you (or Twiga) have to do any work on the van before fitting the single rims?

The reason I ask is because an email request about the conversion to Twiga suggested it could only be done in their workshop!

I'm also looking to embark on a very similar project so any other build information you can share either publically or privately would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Last edited:

Ullie

Adventurer
No work to do to fit the single rims. At the fender its a tight fit, but it fits, even with suspension full loaded. (We've tested it to see if there could be a problem going off-road.)

Build information? We sold the crane, which was a platform you just had to unscrew and cut the powercables and hydraulic liquid tubes.
Then we builded the subchassis ourself and than the vehicle was brought to a cabine builder to build a cabin. (www.ormocar.de) Now we are going to do the interieur ourself again.
We had to ask a permission to Mercedes to rebuild the vehicle as a camper avoid further administration problems in the future.

If you want to have a website with a lot of information about building on a vario and vehicle specifications, I can recommend http://4x4fulltiming.com/default.aspx

Good luck with your build.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Ullie,
I took the plunge and bought a Vario 4x4 in auction yesterday. Three questions if I may -
1) Can I ask you the approx cost of the single wheel conversion? PM me if you're ok sharing but don't want to post publicly.
2) What was Ormocar like to deal with? They are top of my list for the box but I just wanted to check with someone with firsthand experience.
It looks like you changed the front fender (bumper). Where did you source it?

Thanks Again

Ian

Ullie

Adventurer
Ullie,
I took the plunge and bought a Vario 4x4 in auction yesterday. Three questions if I may -
1) Can I ask you the approx cost of the single wheel conversion? PM me if you're ok sharing but don't want to post publicly.
2) What was Ormocar like to deal with? They are top of my list for the box but I just wanted to check with someone with firsthand experience.
It looks like you changed the front fender (bumper). Where did you source it?

Thanks Again

Ian

1) Rims and tyres included we came up to +/- 3500 €
2) Ormocar was superb. We had our drawings with measurements (inside measurements foor everything is the easyist for them, so they will make the outside fit) of what we wanted, and they builded it like that. When they had doubts, they phoned us to know what to do. Before signing the contract, we had a visit at the workshop and they showed us everything and they even gave us details for things we wanted to do ourself. Also afterwards, they gave us usefull tips on how to realise some things. I really recommend to get in contact with them to visit their workshop and have discussions about what you want te build. They are super friendly and willing to help you. Proof of the quality and customer minded approach is the number of vehicles waiting to be build up.
First contact we had with Ormocar was at Bad Kissingen.
3) We want to fit a bullbar and therefore we changed the fender. We build it ourself. (my father-in-law is a very good welder) The bullbar still has to be made, also by my father-in-law.

Good luck with your build.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Thanks for that. I'm heading over to Bad Kissingen next weekend and will meet up with Ormocar guys. Send me that father-in-law when you're finished with him :)

incognito

Adventurer
Hy, i would keep the rear double wheels.
just did a 8 month 25 000 miles tour of the Usa with a Sprinter double wheels( a little bit of offroad also) and double are stronger, get you a better rear grip and for safety reasons is a lot better if you have a puncture at high speed or even off road you can continue becose you'll force less the rear tires let's say going uphill with a lot of load on a sharp rock gravel road . and dually or singles in the rear you will have the same rigid suspension, which in fact is the problem of the double rear wheels trucks going offroad.

here is my Mercedes Sprinter conversion:
https://picasaweb.google.com/107357551176877076198/MySprinterConversion

I want to sell the sprinter and by a vario 4x4 and convert it for Europe trips next year. I'll leave the double wheels in the back but will try to buy a system to deflate the tires by a button which is great having offroad. Is there a company in Europe how sells this sytems ( Saw them on Unimogs)

I have some questions : WHICH USED VARIO IS BETTER THOSE BEFORE 1997 OR 1997 TO PRESENT?
Do the newer ones (1997 and up ) have the same complicated electronics as the Sprinters? is there an affordable scanner tool available for the Vario ?
which is the maximum speed for a Vario, didn't find that information on web.
have safe travels
incognito

Last edited:

Anton2k3

Adventurer
hi incognito,

The main problem people seem to have with double rears (when used off-road) is rocks getting caught between the two tyres which can potentially puncture both.

I'm still not sure whether to change to singles, but by doing so would get more ground clearance. That with some spacer blocks would improve off-road capabilities.

Sorry I cant really help with questions, apart from speed one. Our vario (fully laden, tanks full etc) will easily do 70 on motorways, and tops out around 85 (on a long flat). However, ours is the 2x4, not 4x4....not sure if that will make a difference.

Ullie

Adventurer
Single tyres is also better in loose sand. Front and rear wheels follow the same path, with double tyres, they have to make a new path for the back tyres.

No idea if the older Vario is better than the one's after 1997. There are such a lot of different versions after 1997 that it is very difficult to say what's better. The recent Vario's have ad blue, our (1998) doesn't. Maybe recent vario's have more electrics, but oure has not got much electrics. Just simple basis electrics.

We have a 814 (7,5 tons possible and 140 horse power) and it runs easely 110 km/h on the motor way. But in europe you're limited tot 90 km/h because its heavier than 3,5 tons). With the single wheels (bigger diameter) we drive 90 km/h at 1800 t/min of the engine.

LukeH

Adventurer
Speaking from personal (and costly) experience. The twins in soft sand are no better or worse than singles. The tyre that follows in the fron tracks is on disturbed sand so grips less, the trye that rides on new sand grips better. The two major problems are:
stones in between (as mentioned they puncture both tyres, slowly by wear)
But also if you air down twins the tyres end up touching. The contact between tyres heats up a surprising amount ans on or other (if not both) will blow out spectacularly. I know this because it happened to me crossing the Banc d'Arguin park. I was furious with our "guide" because he harassed us to air further down than I wanted and then let us on a wacky races style chase between dunes at speeds my poor old Daily didn't like.

Nigel Evans

Observer
My 1998 814D 4x4 has no electronics or particulate filter. On it's current Michelin XZT 215/75R17.5 it red lines at 65mph. I'm no expert at airing down but I'm not convinced this will work with 17.5 or 19.5 rims. Perhaps someone has experience?

incognito

Adventurer
Hy,
that is i want the system which deflates the tires by pushing a button, for sand and sharp rocks . a very important thing : mercedes are heavy trucks that is why the stress especially for the rear wheels add a camper box and all the equipment and will be heavier. with double tires also it will sink less in sand, mud.
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-bl...t/1/1318977789/filename=18_vers-telluride.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjjPco80Q5Q
https://picasaweb.google.com/107357551176877076198/Sprinter

last dollar road very nice if you go from Ouray, Co to Telluride, Co. at one point i came back becose the road was too bad and my tires and suspension too stiff . i had the impression that every bolt will become loose becose was too much vibration inside.that is when i realised that stiff suspension of Mercedes trucks with double rims in the back , which is very good when adding the weight of a camper, will need deflated tires on bad roads.
at 75 mph on highway with double in the rear i feel safer.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107357551176877076198/Sprinter

have safe travels
incognito

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Just an observation but no Dakar race or support trucks have double rear wheels and I can't think of any Unimogs with doubles.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles