Toyo or Michelin for Mercedes vario 814 4X4

incognito

Adventurer
6x6 like the new sprinter oberaigner 6x6 or Pinzgauer 6x6

that is the best traction and weight distribution a truck or camper can get.some day maybe i hope i'll be able to buy a Sprinter 6x6 and make my second conversion.

the system i was talking about for going off-road is called central tire inflation system. maybe somebody knows a system like this which can be fit to a Mb Vario ?
incognito

Last edited:

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
This company's site says suitable for all wheeled vehicles and trailers. No experience just a google search.

http://www.military-mobility.eu/

I had a play with a Unimog with CTIS and 395/85R20 tyres, and deflating from road pressure to about 20psi took ages! I'm not sure its quicker than by hand :( Inflation too (with the higher output water cooled compressor) was slow. More than long enough to put the kettle on. Nice but expensive perhaps!?

Jason

:)

DzlToy

Explorer
quick inflation and deflation can be accomplished by using Agricultural valve stems which are quite a bit larger than traditional Schrader valve stems. A matching air chuck will be needed. Powertank sells what they call Monster Valves: http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/15 that are essentially the same thing.

For a Central Tire Inflation System to work you must have a pretty robust on board air system and your hubs must be swapped or modified to allow the center air line to pass through them. Not something that is DIY or easily done on most 4WD axles/hubs. Additionally the system has many small parts like seals and o-rings that if not properly maintained in an off road environment, will cause failure, probably when its most needed.

incognito

Adventurer
hy,

maybe you are right too much trouble with a central tire inflation system. i've looked at the video with Monster valves looks quite nice.so maybe a good 12v compressor and some Monster valves for fast inflation/deflation will do the job. do you know a powerful 12v compressor for using offroad?
thanks
mike

docka

Adventurer
Ullie- any chance of some more photos of your conversion, the ones embedded in the thread aren't working for me...
Thanks

Ullie

Adventurer
421804_3507672249837_562343399_n.jpg

320528_2718539362008_1617975975_n.jpg

39562_1676514272032_3563716_n.jpg

Dragonsmaug

Thank You for the pics of the wheels . I am also considering swapping my vario 814da wheels to 19.5 I would be grateful to know how it feels to drive on the bigger wheels , one of the problems with mine is the that 1st is too high and my low ratio is only about half a gear lower.Do you find that you are changing gear more frequently ? Do the ratios feel well spaced ? ChrisP1170578.jpg

Ullie

Adventurer
For me, the vehicle is driving much better with the bigger wheels. More stable and you drive 90 km/h at 1800 t/min, so lower fuell consumption. The ratios feel well spaced and we are certainly not changing gear more frequently as before.
The total hight of our vehicle is 3,70 m.

I would definitely recommend the toyo tyres.

Dragonsmaug

Fuel Consumption

Ullie - what sort of figures are you getting on your fuel usage please?

Tyres will be a factor I am on 9.5 R17.5 Michelin XYZ I am getting 13.5 Lit/100K mainly cruising at 90k/ hr so about 20 mpg on long trips , west africa and back.I hope this helps
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz