Toyo or Michelin for Mercedes vario 814 4X4

andylod

Tea Drinker :-)
I think thats a sensible option. Sand seems to be the only time 4wd would be great for our size of van although i think flat tyres and diff lock might work, Off road, down stoney undulating lanes and a slimy fields seems to be the norm.... being able to gently manoeuvre over an obstacle instead of using momentum and consequently hearing the entire contents of your cupboards being shaken to bits...... the diff lock will definitely help with this.

Yeh the tests are all good :) ... i will do a proper write up and post it on the Diff lock thread.
Andy

docka

Adventurer
Great, and no doubt cheaper than merc parts! So, are you going to be writing up a guide with pics for us rear diff lock wannabes? Are you still considering 4x4, or will this suffice?

I've been giving it some thought recently, and although the dream was always 4x4, I'm not entirely convinced its practicable for us. From what I've found out so far, it would reduce top end , and increase fuel economy due to it being permanent. Storing and dismantling a van while i swap things over also seems to be a hassle. And how often will we be doing serious off roading, which would warrant full 4x4, I'm not sure of. Anyhoo, that's where I'm at on 4x4 vs. rear diff lock.

Did the bench tests see everything working correctly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One less competitor at the next auction perhaps?:drool:

docka

Adventurer
Great to see the truck in action and being enjoyed by the whole family.
Do you have any more photos of the interior?

Ullie

Adventurer
10402397_10203885621600262_6697194051330732100_n.jpg

10405697_10203885621760266_1552316345792781717_n.jpg

docka

Adventurer
Thanks, look very neat and crisp.
Where did you get the rear seats and how are they attached?

Ullie

Adventurer
They are from FASP. They are attaches with steel bars through the basement (50 cm) to the subchassis. They are the only seats we could get approved to transport people in the back in Belgium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94