"Hand" Parking Brake

AlexJet

Explorer
I'm trying to make a conversion to "Hand" Parking Brake instead of a "Leg" one.
I know FJ Cruiser has one which I can source out. I was interesting if other vehicles may have it as FJ seems to be expensive.

- FJ Cruiser
- 3rd Gen 4Runner

Any other trucks had it?

01silvapathy

Observer
All of the R50 (96-04) Pathfinders have handbrakes, although not Toyota you may be able to use some of it. It comes in pretty handy, you know for when i go drifting :bike_rider:

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
I used the lever hand brake assembly from a old Ford Pinto to do the conversion in a fairly radical IHC Scout 800B. You could also use the Lokar aftermarket assembly.

BTW, the optimum location is on the left side of the driver's seat. This lets you hold the brake, operate the throttle, and shift from 1st to reverse all at the same time, if your caught in one of those 'challenging' situations!

BTW 2, Marine maintenance/supply places can make short sections of 'control' (brake) cables with whatever fittings you need on either end.

The lever hand brake is MUCH more useful off road than a "T" handle or foot operated emergency brake.

BlueBomber

Adventurer
I always wanted one from a Toyota MR-2 (I think thats what its called). The handle is by the drivers door and after you pull it up to set the e-brake, you can push it back down to get out. Not sure how it would be useful in a truck that has plenty of space, but I still think it would be cool to have.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
FJ60's use the ratcheting type of hand lever for the parking brake.

The lever that I would want were I doing this from scratch is from a Volvo P1800 (& maybe other Volvo's too, but I only know for sure about the P1800's). On those you have to push the button in to latch the lever, rather than having to push it in to release the lever. I find this to be advantageous to spirited driving.

rynosurf

Adventurer
I was wondering if I could swap mine out too. I think the manual 05+ Tacomas have the old style pull out hand brake by the right knee, but I'm not sure if it would swap into a 4runner or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior