Micheal Slade is responsible for our dutch oven addiction

James86004

Expedition Leader
We were camping recently with another dutch oven user. he commented that our dutch ovens are the most thoroughly seasoned he had ever seen, so it was obvious we use them a lot. We started trying to figure out how we got into dutch oven cooking, and it just came to me. New Year 2002 or 2003, on the Mojave Road with a lot of other Land Rover owners, and Micheal Slade cooked something real simple and delicious for us all in a dutch oven. When we got home we immediately bought a dutch oven, and then another one, and have used them so much we have forgotten half the things we have tried to cook in them.

So, thanks, Micheal! :sombrero:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've been privy to a Chef Slade dutch oven desert in the middle of the Great Salt Lake Desert. I can think of few treats I've enjoyed more. Go Slade! :cool:

Michael Slade

Untitled
I remember that meal well. We were sitting around the campfire at the base of those dunes and someone had a bag of potatoes. We found some garlic, some butter, some olive oil, salt, pepper, threw the lid on and let her simmer.

About 30-40 minutes later we could smell it and I knew it was done. I have never cooked potatoes like that ever since, but yes, I do remember how dang yummy they were.

That whole trip was very amazing. I think I have some photos of it around here somewhere...

Oh yes, here they are.

If I have served as the catalyst for you to enjoy your own Dutch Ovens, then I am glad. Be sure to spread the love. I learned how to appreciate them from others and am just passing it along. :victory:

EDIT: I just picked up a smoker last week and did a turkey breast. Man, there is going to be a lot to learn I think with how to smoke various meats properly. I think that the dutch ovens and the smoker just might make a nice pair of culinary tools.

We were camping recently with another dutch oven user. he commented that our dutch ovens are the most thoroughly seasoned he had ever seen, so it was obvious we use them a lot. We started trying to figure out how we got into dutch oven cooking, and it just came to me. New Year 2002 or 2003, on the Mojave Road with a lot of other Land Rover owners, and Micheal Slade cooked something real simple and delicious for us all in a dutch oven. When we got home we immediately bought a dutch oven, and then another one, and have used them so much we have forgotten half the things we have tried to cook in them.

So, thanks, Micheal! :sombrero:

Last edited:

James86004

Expedition Leader
Kelly said the potatoes were excellent, and she doesn't even really care for potatoes.

This past week on Mt Graham we cooked peach cobbler, pizza, and taquitos in our dutch ovens.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Oh, and don't say smoker around Kelly. We have looked at them and the ones that look like they are good are expensive.

EricG

Explorer
Oh, and don't say smoker around Kelly. We have looked at them and the ones that look like they are good are expensive.

Smokers don't have to be expensive to work. Its not rocket science. You can get one for about 30-40 bucks at Wal Mart. Thats what I have. I have a big one that is stored in my mom's garage in TN. I move too much to drag it around. A friend of mine competes in BBQ events and has a big ole smoker. I can do just as good or better in my little one.

Now I'll drag cast iron all over the country.

Errant

Explorer
The majority of my camp cooking has always been done in a DO or other cast iron, unless backpacking or on the motorcycle, or course. It's also my most used cookware at home :)

mesha

Observer
I've been privy to a Chef Slade dutch oven desert in the middle of the Great Salt Lake Desert. I can think of few treats I've enjoyed more. Go Slade! :cool:

I remember that meal well. We were sitting around the campfire at the base of those dunes and someone had a bag of potatoes. We found some garlic, some butter, some olive oil, salt, pepper, threw the lid on and let her simmer.

About 30-40 minutes later we could smell it and I knew it was done. I have never cooked potatoes like that ever since, but yes, I do remember how dang yummy they were.

That whole trip was very amazing. I think I have some photos of it around here somewhere...

Oh yes, here they are.

If I have served as the catalyst for you to enjoy your own Dutch Ovens, then I am glad. Be sure to spread the love. I learned how to appreciate them from others and am just passing it along. :victory:

EDIT: I just picked up a smoker last week and did a turkey breast. Man, there is going to be a lot to learn I think with how to smoke various meats properly. I think that the dutch ovens and the smoker just might make a nice pair of culinary tools.

These two are responsible for my old camping gear addiction. I shop for old stuff now more than new. Sounds like Michael is quite the influence(sometimes for good;))

bftank

Explorer
you can use a large grill like a smoker. just keep the meat off the hot side and the wood on the hot side. works fine.

cheap smokers can be found on craigslist too. i got mine for free. but thats a story for another day.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I don't have too many pics of that trip because it was pre-digital-camera. I have so many memories I wish I had recorded photographically, but I was a lot more careful with how much film I used than I am with pixels.

It has been 13 years, but I am still upset with the lab for losing the roll with the photos I took standing through the sunroof while the Range Rover was surrounded by bison at Teddy Roosevelt NP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles