My Goldilocks Camper - Kimberley Kamper

Romer

Adventurer
I know, didnt I just buy an Adventure Trailer Horizon last year? Yes and it's a great trailer (For sale :) in classifieds)

I started out with a Jayco Baja. The Jayco Baja was really comfortable, but the wood would fall apart when I went on a mild trail, so I sold it and bought a Adventure Trailer Horizon. At the time I wanted a Kimberley, but there are like 20-25 in the states and hard to come by. I ended up buying an Adventure Trailer Horizon. Very capable off road with lots of capabilities. The tent I installed had a changing room and was fine when it was just me in Moab. With Rachel, it was smaller then I would like. It would fit 3 people fine.

Then I saw an ad for a 2002 Kimberely Kamper and after thinking about it for 10 days, I bought it.

This camper is just right for me. I can take it off road on mild trails

The Jayco Baja took about 20 minutes to setup, the AT took 10 minutes ( 20 with both awnings). If I am just camping overnight, this takes 3 minutes and has lots of room.

The cool thing about this is its expandability depending on what you are doing

The roof quickly folds down expanding the tent with it. All you have to do to be fully setup is expand one bar inside the tent area and then pull out the kitchen. Takes about 3 minutes

Quick and comfy area with storage under the bed. You can also sleep two on the floor with pads. LED lights at the back of the bed for reading.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There is a lot of expandability to this camper, and I didn't want to figure it out on the trail so I put it up in my backyard today.

First you add the bathroom and then the awning

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

When you are going to stay in a place longer and need more protection from the weather or you have more people to have room for, you add the walls

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lots of room inside:bounce:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There is also lots of storage. There is the big box in front. There is a big storage area behind the stove and even a small one in the sink part

Then there is a sliding metal basket under the bed and and small compartment in front of it. You can also strap a bunch of stuff to the roof if needed

Mine is a 2002, the newer ones have two gull wing boxes on the front instead of the big box and are longer. They have a slideout fridge/freezer.

I have two fridges and will just set one on the ground in the kitchen area and keep the other in my cruiser

Kind of interesting, I think (but not sure) there are like 20-30 total of these in the US. Of the 6 here on Expo Portal, all drive Toyota's:smiley_drive:

I just ordered the Heatsource 2000 from Martyn at Adeventure Trailers and a 10 AMP AGM battery charger to replace the lead acid type current installed. I still plan on buying all my parts from Mario and Martyn when I can.

Honu

lost on the mainland
curious how much you got it for ? if you dont mind sharing :)

also a big congrats I love the kimberly setups

whats cool is trailers are seeming to become more popular ? having had my trailer I now want a karavan :) some of the kimberly and conqueror karavans are pretty darn cool somehow I can see mylself in the future becoming a 2 or 3 trailer family depending on where we are going ;)

congrats again nice looking setup and love all the canvas

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Nice and congrats on the purchase.
I love the design of both the teardrop by AT or a flip top by KK or AT.
Mainly I want to be able to still use it when we retire (yeah years years later). I think long term here. :)
Going up ladders not at night or climbing down at night is not my definition of fun. :Wow1:

Anyways - nice, once you get her on the trails, post up some more pics!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Honest question because I am just curious:

Is the extra tenting basically just a large tarp supported by poles and guy wires? There's really not any more framework? How long does it take to set that part up?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Congrats Ken on your new KK!! :wings: Not that I'm biased or anything.:elkgrin:

On the questing about additional awning structure I assume the 2002 model is similar to my 2006. I have stretcher bars that go both out from the trailer and across the middle of the awning to form a cross hatch of bars supporting and stretching the canvas tight. It's pretty stout when fully set up.

Romer

Adventurer
Honest question because I am just curious:

Is the extra tenting basically just a large tarp supported by poles and guy wires? There's really not any more framework? How long does it take to set that part up?

Congrats Ken on your new KK!! :wings: Not that I'm biased or anything.:elkgrin:

On the questing about additional awning structure I assume the 2002 model is similar to my 2006. I have stretcher bars that go both out from the trailer and across the middle of the awning to form a cross hatch of bars supporting and stretching the canvas tight. It's pretty stout when fully set up.

Mine has that to. I had not installed it in the picture. Saw them and figured where they went and thought it was close enough for the backyard.

Took 3 minutes to set up the clam sheel

then step #6 (Beer)

The rest took longer as I spent a lot of time going "how does ...?", What's this for . . .?" , " where the hell ...?" "Which panel is this?"

The bathrroom took about 5 minutes

The awning over the hitch took about 5 minutes

The rest of the awning took about 30 minutes, could probably do it in 10-15 next time

then step #6

The walls took the longest because I did not know what went where and I had to move them around a bit. Took me about an hour. Could probably do them in 20 minutes the next time

Step #6 PLUS a cigar

The long pole in tearing it down is folding all the panels so they fit nicely into the bags

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I wonder if there is as many as 20-30 in the USA? I would like to know but I wonder if KK even knows how many are here as there have been a couple owners?

Romer

Adventurer
I wonder if there is as many as 20-30 in the USA? I would like to know but I wonder if KK even knows how many are here as there have been a couple owners?

I thought I read that somewhere

Didnt the guy in the south originally import 6-8 2002's

You guys custom ordered yours, wonder if there are more

Then they tried to sell a few after that

BTW - I know someone who wants one if you hear of anymore for sale

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'll keep my ears open but don't think mine will be for sale anytime soon (ever?).

Your guess of 20 may be pretty close... if the original 2002s were 8 or so, then there are a few 2006s (Brad's) and our 2008s...

A buddy was asking me a couple days ago how many KKs are in the USA, I guessed less than a dozen, but somewhere between 12-20 night be the number.

Very few :sombrero:

I thought I read that somewhere

Didnt the guy in the south originally import 6-8 2002's

You guys custom ordered yours, wonder if there are more

Then they tried to sell a few after that

BTW - I know someone who wants one if you hear of anymore for sale

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
We must have done a bad job as a dealer, when we had them no-one wanted to buy them. Now they are the hit ticket. Imagine that. :D

PS, I have two boat loaders for them here if anyone needs such a thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior