Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My ultimate camper combo - HZJ79 + Tischer 230

Default My ultimate camper combo - HZJ79 + Tischer 230

So assuming that money was no object, this would be one of my top choices for the next journey:

I first met a couple traveling with this combination in Australia about 5 years ago.

after much research, I found out about this company in Germany:

http://www.tischer.ch/Home.html

Here is a video of the 230 which fits perfectly in a back of a small pickup and weight only 611 kilo.

Here a few more video from this company -quite impressive I think.

Last edited by Christian P.; 06-23-2010 at 04:12 AM.
    Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

I can't believe that stayed upright though all those donuts. Looks like a great combo.

Love it. I recently bought a demountable camper with a Ford Ranger double cab. Read more here: Overland Live Blog

I am not sure I would like to do the tricks he does with his camper but I can confirm that a few mods on the suspension will allow the unit to be thrown about like that.
    I am now thinking of a LR 130 but am concerned that the narrow wheelbase might make the vehicle lean a lot in cornering. The Ford Ranger has a slightly wider wheelbase plus spaces.

Nice combo too, it's too bad that we don't have these smaller units available here in the US.
    Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

What about the Northstar Escape Pod?
    http://www.northstarcampers.com/Escape_Pod.asp

Quote Originally Posted by snorkel54 View Post
    What about the Northstar Escape Pod?
    http://www.northstarcampers.com/Escape_Pod.asp
    Not bad but I have feeling like the construction is not as good as the German Tisher with their molded shell. Seems heavier. But I may be wrong.
    Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

Love that skylight with the screen.

That seems like a lot of space for the given footprint. I like the fold down sink and all the headroom in the bunk.

Christian, would that unit have served you well on the Africa journey or would it have been too big for (tall?) for certain parts.

Could you expound a little on what leads you to prefer a more space after your Africa journey, or link to something where you may already have explained it?

Thanks.
    Life is short, Paddle often
    '03 Chevy Astro w/ NP233C 4x4 electronic shift transfer case, 5" Overlandvans lift kit, 4:10's w/ Detroit Locker, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks w/ in-dash remote & onboard air compressor, 245/75 16 Cooper Discoverer STMaxx, GTRV pop top w/ sleeper, Carefree Awning, Coleman Fridge, and tons of Thule

2010 Gas Gas EC 450 plated, 2005 Gas Gas FSE 450, plated

Quote Originally Posted by T.Low View Post
    That seems like a lot of space for the given footprint. I like the fold down sink and all the headroom in the bunk.

Christian, would that unit have served you well on the Africa journey or would it have been too big for (tall?) for certain parts.

Could you expound a little on what leads you to prefer a more space after your Africa journey, or link to something where you may already have explained it?

Thanks.
    T.Low,

Sorry for the delay in my response...

After the 9 months on the road, there are 2 requirements that I really want to meet -> more power and a permanent bed. And my gf really insists on a proper toilet for emergency.

As you know there are no perfect solution. For Africa only, a roof top tent is sufficient most of the time. But for our next journey, we want to drive up to Alaska/Canada, then down to South America, then again Africa and finally Europe. So I expect a much greater range of temperature. A roof top tent does not work well in a rainy season or in winter...

Also we intend to do some work on the road so an actual living space inside is important. We also like to spend time around town and it's not easy to sleep in a roof top tent in the middle of the city...

The biggest problem I see with this combo is the height. I am also going to loose a bit of "offroading" capability. On the other hand, I hope that I will be able to just drop the camper and use the pick-up only when we are somewhere for several days.

We have looked a lot at the various pop-up campers on the market (including Marc's excellent XP) but we feel like we want a hard-side camper so we can walk in anytime, for lunch, nap, surfing, video processing, etc, whatever we need to do on the road.

So for in North America, the best truck camper I have found would be the BigFoot 1500. There is only really one problem, it's about 3 inch too wide to fit in a container.

As I said, if money wasn't a problem and the logistics possible, my first choice would be a new HJZ79 with the V8 and this Tisher camper, or the Azalai integrated camper.

+ Tisher Trail

The Hilux is another option I am contemplating too:

Azalai:

Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

Don't know what the final cost would be landed but I would vote for the 79 (twin turbo V8)+ Azalai
    Colin

Inveniemus viam aut faciemus (Either we find the road, or we make it!)

Desert Rat
    '07 FJC TM- Metaltech front bumper, CBI Rear swingout, OME Suspension/lift BFG AT 265-75R-16, ARB Snorkel, MAF auxiliary tank

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast