2007 Jeep Wrangler

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
That new Jeep looks pretty exciting. Only thing that concerns me is there is alot of junk hanging below the rockers, exhaust seems ready to be eaten by rocks...otherwise, it would be great lifted w/ some 33's. 4dr w/ removable top and solid axles...really cool. If it had a diesel, I would definitely be checking one out. With a street V6...dunno, it becomes much less appealing

I really like the Unlimited Rubicon as well. With mods, it looks great.

As for the D44, I hear the "corporate" 44 is not as strong due to aluminum included in the mix. The axles look really small as well...durability issues flash through my mind.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Life_in_4Lo said:
As for the D44, I hear the "corporate" 44 is not as strong due to aluminum included in the mix. The axles look really small as well...durability issues flash through my mind.

The aluminum only pertains to certain Grand Cherokee models if I'm not mistaken. All Wrangler 44 housings are good ol' fashioned cast iron. :)

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
The 3.7 v6 is good engine. I have one in my Liberty. Yes, this is my opinion, but I do like this motor. To my limited knowledge, I don't think they have a more powerful v6 in the works. It is not the I6 but they are struggling to pass the I6for emmissions reasons. The I6 motor has lived a long life and run its course.

For obvious cost reasons, they will dip into their parts bins and use what is available. A few years ago, Chrysler really started sharing everything with Jeep, even entire platforms will be shared.

I'd really dig the idea of the 4.7 v8 in the Wrangler.:jumping:

Power is a funny thing. It can be utilized properly with the right combination of gearing and transmission. Even if that "perfect" low torque isn't there. Compromises; we will make do with whatever they give us because our options are few:(

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
calamaridog said:
The 3.7 v6 is good engine. I have one in my Liberty. Yes, this is my opinion, but I do like this motor. To my limited knowledge, I don't think they have a more powerful v6 in the works. It is not the I6 but they are struggling to pass the I6for emmissions reasons. The I6 motor has lived a long life and run its course.

For obvious cost reasons, they will dip into their parts bins and use what is available. A few years ago, Chrysler really started sharing everything with Jeep, even entire platforms will be shared.

I'd really dig the idea of the 4.7 v8 in the Wrangler.:jumping:

Power is a funny thing. It can be utilized properly with the right combination of gearing and transmission. Even if that "perfect" low torque isn't there. Compromises; we will make do with whatever they give us because our options are few:(

The 4.0L I-6 has only been around since the late '80s. It is not that old for a engine. The thing that makes this engine so desirable for off road use is the fact that it makes 80% of it's torque at idle. With a manual transmission, this is a very good thing. Even in 2-hi I can load the engine down to less than 250rpm and it will keep running. On technical trails, this is very beneficial. The v-6 will stall at these speeds/loads, requiring you to use more throttle input to keep the vehicle running. As we know, the more you have to use the throttle, the less control you have, and the easier it is to break things. I'm not saying the v-6 is a bad engine, but it simply will not offer the same performance off road as the 4.0l will.

The one good thing I can see coming out of the 3.7l in the wrangler.....it will make it much easier to swap in the little CRD out of a liberty.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I agree the I6 is better for crawling around. But it isn't being updated and modernized and it has been killed:ar15: So what you are stuck with is a decent v6. In a perfect world, the 4.7 v8.

Also, the number of Wranglers (and other 4x4's) equipped with automatics increases each year.

The whole arguement is mute when they introduce the CRD Wrangler. I bet they do this by the 2008 model year. Then you can have your low end torque.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I would not buy a wrangler with a v-8. If I need/want a vehicle with that much power, it won't be a short wheelbase utility vehicle.

I'm holding my breath for the Unlimited Rubicon Wrangler CRD (providing they still offer a manual transmission and a soft top with it)

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't want the V8 in the SWB version. In this larger 4 door version, with the added weight of the Rubicon equipment and the upgrades, etc., I think the 4.7 v8 would be a good package.

I'm thinking of the 4 door version as more of an expedition type rig, that could be outfitted with more accessories than the SWB version.

Not holding my breath but I can dream.

Of course, the CRD would provide plenty of torque for either situation, I think.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I'll be honest, as much as people like to make fun of the Jeeps unreliability, at least they had some great benefits:
Rubicons have tons of aftermarket, sfa and the I6. No matter what, at least you can say it is a real offroad rig w/ performance to match it's looks.

The new package is much less appealing with the V6, even w/ sfa. This thing needs the diesel or some engine with some low end grunt...

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
I am thinking this last year model of the rubicon unlimited with the I-6 could be the best out the box rig ever massed produce. I have a feeling that in 2008 when Daimler releases the CRD in the wrangler it will have a IFS. I don't think we will ever get a unlimited rubicon with dual tops SFA CRD and a six speed.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
sacto_patrol said:
I am thinking this last year model of the rubicon unlimited with the I-6 could be the best out the box rig ever massed produce. I have a feeling that in 2008 when Daimler releases the CRD in the wrangler it will have a IFS. I don't think we will ever get a unlimited rubicon with dual tops SFA CRD and a six speed.

IFS is still a long way off for the "traditional" Jeep. The next generation is definately solid axle, and the last two generations have each lasted 10 years. I can only speculate as to whether or not we'll see a CRD, but I don't think they'd completely reengineer the vehicle after only one model year.

That being said, I agree with you. I think the 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited may be the glorious end of an era. I'm very open and receptive to the forthcoming changes, and I have little doubt that the future Jeep vehicles are going to be fun and capable to great degree, but there may come a time when we look at the end of the TJ run and say ... "They don't make 'em like that anymore." :)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Pictures and some information regarding the 2007 Jeep Wrangler have been leaked before the embargo was lifted. They were published in the February issue of MPG magazine. I'm still excited to see the official photography from DC.

NOTE: These linked pictures may expire, but I'm sure there will be more to come in the near future.

Jeep1.jpg

Jeep2.jpg

Jeep3.jpg

There are some design cues that will take some getting use to, but overall, I am pleased with the next generation Jeep Wrangler.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I agree Chris, I think overalll it looks very good. It maintains the basic lines of the traditional Jeeps, with a more updated look, IMO.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
sacto_patrol said:
Did they switch from MTR to BFG Mud's?

It looks that way, if those are pictures of a production vehicle. That's fine with me, because I am perfectly happy with BFGoodrich, but if that is the case, it'd be interesting to hear whatever story there may be behind the switch. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94