2007 Jeep Wrangler

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I found these two pictures on the web, one of the Gladiator interior, and one of the 2007 Wrangler interior - a camoflaged test mule. This strongly suggests to me that the Gladiator is a really good indication of what the forthcoming Jeep Wrangler is going to look like from the B-pillar forward. This has been confirmed by some in various Jeep forums, but this is the best evidence that I've seen.

68055943_64fd107db9_o.jpg

Here's a picture I took at Camp Jeep this past summer.

33939396_d1022df2d4.jpg

From what I've heard, I don't think they plan on producing the Gladiator - at least not in the 2007 model year, but since it seems to share the same platform as the 2007 Wrangler, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Gladiator, or something like the Gladiator for a later model year. I'm just speculating.

They created a finished concept that everyone thought was going to go into production back in 1997 called the Dakar, but they never really did. Actually, they did produce the Liberty, which borrowed styling from the Dakar and the Jeepster - but it didn't have the rugged characteristics and functionality that everyone loved about the Dakar concept. :(

Regarding the 2007 Jeep Wrangler, here is a good consolidation of information about the upcoming model. I'm sure its largely accurate.

http://jeepin.net/blog/?p=10

There will be a two-door version, and four-door version. The four door version is rumored to be called the "Jeep Rescue", not to be confused with the concept, but I'm sure its styling will be inspired by the Rescue concept.

I'm really excited by the four-door Jeep. It looks like it may be a really neat vehicle with alot of space compared to the traditional SWB Jeeps. I love my Cherokee, but I'm sure I'm going to have Jeep envy once its finally unveiled. :)

jeep_jkspy2.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
I'm really excited by the four-door Jeep. It looks like it may be a really neat vehicle with alot of space compared to the traditional SWB Jeeps. I love my Cherokee, but I'm sure I'm going to have Jeep envy once its finally unveiled. :)

jeep_jkspy2.jpg
Did you also read about the top having removable panels rather than a traditional ragtop? I wouldn't dare say this to "Jeep people" (oh so afraid of change, they are...) but I think that is cool. If I'm visualizing that correctly. It'll probably still have Cool Factor 10 and widespread hot-chick endorsement.

Can't wait to see it.

Mark

Scott Brady

Founder
I am watching this new model with great interest.... If it comes with a diesel, it might be more than I can take :ylsmoke:

Though I am also considering a "freshening" of my current Wrangler as an option. I just dont like car payments.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

kevin said:
I wonder if it would be the same diesel offered currently in the Liberty model?

2005 Jeep® Liberty 2.8-Liter Common Rail Turbo Diesel Engine, rated at an estimated 160 hp at 3,800 rpm and with 295 lb.-ft. torque at 1,800 rpm. 5000 pounds towing ability.

05_liberty_diesel.jpg

<<SANTA YNEZ, CA - There were a host of new things to try and do at the first-ever Camp Jeep California, but, for us, driving the updated 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel with its new common-rail turbo diesel engine was critical. This new offering from DaimlerChrysler is groundbreaking in the North American compact SUV market. With fuel economy a growing concern, Jeep engineers say the new powerplant delivers the fuel consumption of a four-cylinder while still providing the acceleration of a V6 and the torque of a V8.

CLATTER LEVEL BETWEEN KENWORTH AND VOLKSWAGEN

Unwanted noise and vibration limited the appeal of old diesel-powered vehicles, so Jeep tried to quiet its new mill by installing a noise-reducing engine cover, balancing shafts, an air induction resonator, and a torque converter turbine damper. Thus, when we twisted the key of the Liberty to fire the engine, we expected quiet. It wasn’t. The 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel is definitely not as hushed in operation as Volkswagen’s impressive TDI engine. On the other hand, neither was it as loud as a clattering 18-wheeler, or your local garbage hauler that doubles as a Saturday morning alarm clock.

GOOD FUEL ECONOMY AND TORQUE FOR TOWING

Displacing 2.8 liters in an inline-four configuration, the 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel’s engine is rated to generate 160 horsepower at 3,800 rpm and 295 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,800 rpm. Power flows to the ground through a five-speed automatic transmission. Thanks to the increase in torque, the Jeep Liberty Diesel can tow an impressive 5,000 lbs., more than double a four-cylinder gasoline Liberty and equal to the V6 model. With a 20.5-gallon fuel tank and mileage predictions of 22-mpg city and 27-mpg highway (compared to the regular Liberty four-cylinder at 20/24 and Liberty V6 at 17/22), driving range is close to 500 miles. Fuel is delivered to the cylinders via direct injection at up to 24,000 psi. Direct injection burns the fuel more efficiently, thereby reducing hydrocarbon emissions. Compared to diesels of the 1980s, this engine is approximately 60 percent cleaner.
TURBO TWEAKS POWER DELIVERY THROUGHOUT REV RANGE

Diesels have also been criticized for their sluggish performance. Consequently, Jeep has attached a turbocharger to provide extra boost for improved acceleration. A moveable vane inside the turbo determines the impact of the turbocharger on engine power. During launches it acts like a “small” turbocharger to increase low-end torque, while at higher revs it works like a “large” turbo to provide better top-end power. The new Jeep Liberty Diesel is also quick to start, needing only two seconds to warm up the ceramic glow plugs.>>

http://www.aicautosite.com/Reviews/2005-jeep-liberty-diesel.asp

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I love the Gladiator and I think the 4 dr wrangler is going to be hot. I did a photochop of it- I overlaid the Gladiator onto some spy pics and the hard lines match up so I believe a SUV-Gladiator will be the 4dr Wrangler

I'll see if I can find my photoshops...

CLynn85

Explorer
I'm very excited about the next generation Wrangler. Some of the die-hards arent' too happy but neither were they when the TJ came out. I have faith that DCX won't disappoint us and I really like the idea of a slightly more livable 4-door. Can't wait til they unveil it at the NAIAS in January. :jump:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Start writing them letters. If they get a big enough response they will more than likely put it or some version of it into production. I'll write a letter too if you like. Lemme see if I can't get teh information to send it off to.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Fat_Man said:
I hope they change their minds.

I don't think they plan on it yet, anyway. A Jeep pickup has been bouncing in an out of the rumor mill for the past several years at least. I think the Gladiator is a sign that they're heading in that direction. :)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Now we're talking.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Aut...ly_Edition_Sept_30-Oct_3_2005.S173.A9375.html

If this picture doesn't work, click on the above link. I would re-host and post, but I think The Car Connection is cracking down on that. :)

10489_JQARAZKPMGSRN.jpg

I can dig what I see so far. There's a little bit of belly-aching on other forums, but I don't see anything to complain about. Modernized styling is inevitable, and its still body-on-frame with solid axles, removable door, removable top, etc. :)

+ d

Adventurer
i'm pretty optimistic, i think it could be good.

i need a little jeep morale boost after the IFS on the grand cherokee and the goofy commander styling.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
A real Jeep?

I really pissed some people off on another forum when I suggested the 2007 Wrangler would be equipped with IFS and aluminum front diffs, like my Liberty:p

I'm excited about body on frame construction, 4 doors, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a solid front axle.

Can we hope for D44's front and rear? How about 4.11's and 31" tires too. Standard? I don't want to have to fork out the "Rubicon" cash for good features.

One thing people have not discussed is the likely drivetrain changes. I believe the 4.0 I6 is out folks, replaced most likely with the 3.7 V6. The 4.7 is from the same engine family but I wouldn't hold your breath.

The 2.8 CRD is not emmissions legal in 5 states:rolleyes: Pretty lame if you ask me. I'd really like to see more diesels available too.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I was aimlessly wandering around a jeep dealership yesterday (stopped by the showroom after ordering a couple parts for my TJ). They mentioned the demise of the 4.0l as well, claiming that "people really like the 3.7l v-6". They had a hard time understanding why I told them the [off-road] performance will never match the 4.0 due to the torque curve being so high in the engines RPM range....they also didn't understand why I told them the commander will never be as capable off road as the wrangler (keeping in mind that we were discussing stock vehicle capabilities). There is some hope on the horizon though....because naturally the conversation drifted to diesel engines in the wrangler.....they believe it is only a couple years away (keeping in mind that these were sales people, not engineers). They did have 6 (yes, six!) diesel liberties on the lot, so I took one for a spin around the block. I was pleasently surprized. The rear seat leaves alot to be desired (way uncomfortable for a long ride), but great head room and leg room for a compact rig....the engine is noisy (not as bad as my 12 valve cummins, but every bit as noisy as a friends 24 valve cummins CRD), handling is tight (of course, my dodge has the typical "wandering ram" syndrome, so by comparison the libby is obscenely tight). Decent power, and there is at least *some* aftermarket support, so a small lift and 31 - 33" tires would be obtainable w/o major amounts of custom work.....

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
calamaridog said:
Can we hope for D44's front and rear? How about 4.11's and 31" tires too. Standard? I don't want to have to fork out the "Rubicon" cash for good features.

One thing people have not discussed is the likely drivetrain changes. I believe the 4.0 I6 is out folks, replaced most likely with the 3.7 V6. The 4.7 is from the same engine family but I wouldn't hold your breath.

The 2.8 CRD is not emmissions legal in 5 states:rolleyes: Pretty lame if you ask me. I'd really like to see more diesels available too.

I don't think it'd be unreasonable to expect a Dana 44 - in the rear at the very least ... or possibly an AAM axle of some sort. All current Wrangler Unlimiteds, and of course Wrangler Rubicons are equipped with the 44. This leads me to believe that they might've finally wised up. I could be wrong. :)

You're right about our beloved 4.0L I-6 being replaced by a V6. :(

Unfortunately, I still think the good stuff is going to be on a Rubicon (or equivalent) model. The majority do not take full advantage of the off-roadability of a Jeep vehicle - so I don't think it'd really make sense to offer off-road improvements in anything but a particular package or two.

While Jeep still makes some very capable vehicles (thankfully), the brand itself has been watered down. Legendary off-road capability is no longer the primary selling point, as they try to manufacture a vehicle for everybody, instead of catering to an off-road niche.

To compare them to Hummer, not in terms of capability, but in terms of marketing ... GM took a risk, while DC played it safe with its product line. As an off-roader, I would've preferred to see DC take more risks, but who knows what the outcome would have been? Aren't Hummer commercials great? :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz