Cabritos 2000 KLR650

That's funny, I was just going to comment on how good that fender looks, then I read all the way through your post.

Fender looks awesome bro.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Stripped caliper bracket update

When attempting to install my oversized rotor kit I stripped one of the holes on the caliper relocation bracket. In trying to find just the bracket I was finding that they only get sold with the rotor kit and not separately.

The good news:
EBC is sending me a replacement bracket - For free!! :wings:

I contacted Dual-Star and EBC about getting a replacement and the cost associated with that. While I was waiting to hear back from Dual-Star I got an email from EBC. They spoke to Dual-Star and decided to just give me one at no charge.

EBC wants me to send the one I stripped back to them so they can have Devol check it out. Devol Engineering makes them for EBC.

Customer service at it's best.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I hope that you will find "imitation as the sincerest form of flattery".

I REALLY like the newer front fender that you installed on your KLR. I have been watching every now and then for a good buy on one. I passed over a burgundy metallic one a couple times before I noticed that the underside was black. It had been painted. At $10 it was worth a shot.
Sure enough the paint was easy to remove and underneath a shiny black fender emerged.

fender.JPG
fender2.JPG

It does have one scuff. A little rubbing with some 2000 grit. Heat it up to a shine and all but a few of the deep scratches are left. It turned out pretty good.

The aerodynamics do look better. I like the way the black fender tends to hide itself better than the big green sail. The taper on the back really looks like it opens the airflow to the radiator. That was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for blazing the trail and sharing the idea :victory:

Oh, one more thing. What tires are those pictured on your KLR? I am considering the Shinko 700 as my next set of tires. Are those what yours has on it?

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Thanks Henry,

Yeah man that front fender changes things. It's more stable in the winds.

I'm not sure what tires I have on there. I'll check and get back.
I have a set of Knobbies that are going on this week in time for the Hollister Rally next week.
I'm planning on getting a set of Gripsters pretty soon. My back tire is just about toast. The front is like new but I'm going to get a set of tires rather than run mis-matched.

Big changes afoot for the beast.

Eagle Mike fork brace has been installed and an Aluminum skid plate in black.
These things along with the fender have produced a much more stable ride in the heavy cross winds. Now I can feel the winds, but the front end no longer feels lite and unstable.

I also have a cheap pannier rack I ordered from Ebay that will go on hopefully this week. I'm putting some old CHP motorcycle bags on it. (I think)

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Watch your clearances with the fork brace on there. One guy trashed his front fender when the suspension compressed. Those running the low fender have not had problems. From what I read the second gen fender and the fork brace are a mistake for offroad stuff. I had also been considering a fork brace, but now I think I have talked myself out of it for what I do with mine.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Watch your clearances with the fork brace on there. One guy trashed his front fender when the suspension compressed. Those running the low fender have not had problems. From what I read the second gen fender and the fork brace are a mistake for offroad stuff. I had also been considering a fork brace, but now I think I have talked myself out of it for what I do with mine.

Interesting. Did you read about that on one of the KLR forums? I've seen some of your posts on KLR650.net.

I did a lot of fork brace searching before I got mine and did not see anything about that.

I can't even imagine how I would compress it that far. I don't expect to do any real off road riding other than fire roads. I'm way too small for any real aggressive riding on this big bike.

I was just thinking that the fork brace was one of the best additions that I've made so far when it comes to improved handling. - Time for some searching on this subject over on the KLR forums..

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
It was a magazine or blog review. The evaluator is an older gentleman who has owned and tested hundreds of bikes. I mentions that he does like the KLR very well and has owned many of them over the years. I believe he has moved on to a Suzuki for now.
I have not been able to find the article here. Maybe I can find it on my laptop later.

Doing a quick search I found these: Fork brace clearance , Brace hits fender

The problem reported was on the second gen. I can see that their fender does extend lower than the first gen stuff. We may or may not have issues.
I will be two up offroad, so I want to make sure before I try a brace.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Thanks for the info.

Just read the link you gave for Thumper talk. Good info there. I might need to break out the dremmell tool and do some trimming if it happens to me.

I will need to read the other one later becuse that KLR forum is blocked here at work.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I found the article: Verle Nelson - KLR 650 over 18k miles chronicled. Spend some time reading his works. Lots of common sense. He doesn't fall prey to the forum hype and modification traps. Seems pretty well informed and lays it all out. He has gone back and updated key points and shines light on what worked, was wrong or the hindsight experience and time brings.

I wouldn't be installing a fork brace if I hadn't already ordered one. Update: this fork brace made no noticeable difference in the KLR's propensity for waggling at speed. It did stop the twisting motion of the forks during hard braking. It does hit the fender! It hits the inside lower portions that are curved around the fork boots. If the KLR is capable of full suspension travel, at least 1.5 inches of this part of the fender will have to be cut away.

Now bear in mind that this is in reference to a second gen with larger diameter forks than ours. The brace may have more value on an older bike.

I'm not sold on it now though. I think I'll spend that on a less wiggly set of tires. I don't like the feel of the Kenda knobbies on the street. They are ok offroad, but I think I can do better there too. I like the reviews I have seen on the Shinko 700. Well all but the wear. It is a less than 5000 mile tire. I can live with that if it performs.

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Henry -
To answer your question on my tires -
Dunlop K750's front and back. They seem pretty good, and probably work ok off the pavement. I don't like the way they look though.
I'm still going with some Avon Gripsters in the neare future. I've had them on both of my previous KLR's and loved them.

I'm totally sold on my fork brace but plan to read all the links you sent me. If I need to I'll consider shaving my fender down, but was thinking that might take some of the rigidity out of it that is helping in the windy conditions.

My ride from work has some really windy spots with knarly cross winds and since putting the fork brace and the new fender I have a much inproved experience.

Keep the info coming. you do great research.

Thanks dude..

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Read his stuff on the older KLR's he has owned. On a couple he dropped to a 19" wheel and wider tire to improve handling.
Something like that might fit right into your needs. A better contact patch up front.

Tall and skinny works pretty good for my terrain. I don't get into the sand much if I can help it. The benefits of better matching the tires does intrigue me though.

Red Zebra

Adventurer
Your KLR is looking good. The best thing about them is the user groups-support and the after-market parts and farkles available. I'm on my 2nd KLR--an 'o4. The over-size rotor should really help. I went with stainless lines and Galpher pads front and rear. It made a huge differrence in brake feel and shortened stopping distance by a noticeable margin. You'll find your wallet will run dry before the farkles will!

Enjoy it! Friends and I just finished Arkansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico TAT and then slabbed it back to our starting location. It's a solid bike for trails and road. Yes, that's a Hatchet handle protruding between the saddle bag and fender. I acquired the gas can after a fellow rider ran his KTM 690 dry and cut it close too many times...and I acquired the cheapo wal-mart tent after he lost tent poles and bought this one. (Yes the KLR is also a mule for others :) )

Attachments

• DSCF1387.JPG
    DSCF1387.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 74

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Ha,
You certainly have that thing loaded. Nice IMS tank... I've been adding more farkle than I'll ever really need. I'm just having fun with it.

Front rotor upgrade is on hold until I rebuild my caliper.

I installed the Eagle Mike Fork brace and DS aluminum skid plate a few weeks back. Big difference in windy conditions. Much improved.

I've had the new knobbies on it for a few days. Takes a little getting used to.
IMG00055-20100919-1756.jpg

IMG00065-20100921-1116.jpg

I also just installed some pannier racks for the back. I have a set of old police motorcycle cases that will go on. For now I put one of my real old ones to play with positioning. I'm liking it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles