Uwharrie,NC Camping/Wheeling Advice

JakeMate

Adventurer
Planning my first overnight trip to Uwharrie National Forest sometime in July. Will be taking my 7 year old son and will be joined by my buddy with a modified Comanche and his dad. Looking to do some easy to moderate wheeling, sight-seeing, hiking, and maybe some fishing. Will be there on a Friday and Saturday.

I found this site showing some of the trails: http://ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/Uwharrie/trails.html

And this site showing some of the camping areas: http://ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/Uwharrie/camping.html

We'll be tent/jeep camping and can bring everything we'll need. Any advice on which camping area to use and a suggested trail route would be appreciated.

Thanks!

WoldD90

Adventurer
Uwharrie is a great place to wheel. There are plenty of designated camping sites, with both bathrooms and showers, and there are several primitive camp sites within the trail system. I would recommend some of the camping site on Baldwin lake.

Most of the trails are pretty mild, unless it has been raining. Start with the easy trails before you head to more complex stuff.

Make sure you bring your recovery gear and be safe.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Agreed with the previous poster, if its been raining it gets really tough, the slick mud at URE can be a real challenge.

If you have good weather, you should be fine, avoid dutch john and daniel trails unless you know what you are doing, depending on the level of your rig dickey bell and parts of rocky mountain loop might be tough for you.

Also you can get all of your supplies and trailpasses at The Outpost(the big BP by the main entrance) great people there.

If you need any other info let me know, as soon as my rig is back up and running i will be out there

JakeMate

Adventurer
Hopefully, mid-July will be fairly dry. Does anyone have a more detailed trail map or any GPS info?

AxeAngel: Can you tell me where exactly is The Outpost? What road, near where? I'm such a planner...I like to know exactly where I'm going and set up all my waypoints and routes before I go. :smiley_drive:

EDIT: Found it. Eldorado Outpost. Looks like a cool place. It sounds like they have a restaurant there?

Last edited:

pinzmog

I just took my family up there yesterday to check out the new Art Lily campground. I'm not sure what to think of it, the parking lot is fenced in so you can't camp with your vehicle to use awnings or other things attached to your vehicle.

If you want showers or running water you'll need to look at Arrowhead campground........I don't think Badin campground has showers and has very limited water access.

I used to use West Morris Mtn. Campground/hunt camp on the otherside of NC109 from the trails. It's a lot less crowded and you don't have a bunch of yahoos running around creating dust storms like yesterday. There was a nice open area on top of the ridge just before you get to Art Lily where you can park and camp, that might not be too bad. Good breeze at that spot yesterday too so we used it for lunch, I'll put a photo below.

Trail Conditions were fine yesterday, if you haven't been to the Uwharrie before just be prepared for lots of rocks. Careful spotting or good under belly protection is a must.

Here's some photos from yesterday......

2rdkuiv.jpg

2e21pas.jpg
[/IMG]

This is the camping spot before Art Tilly we used for Lunch.....I'm surprised it hasn't been blocked off yet.

hu5cw1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

JakeMate

Adventurer
Great info. I wonder if that restaurant does breakfast?

pinzmog: Thanks for the photos and info. That camping spot sounds nice. I'd love to hear more about it. Any chance you could get a more precise location? I couldn't seem to identify the trails you were talking about.

smkymtns

Adventurer
I have also stayed at one of the FS campgrounds that cater to the horse folk. They kind of look at you funny when you pull in but never had a problem. Better accommodations for us since we were pulling big trailers like the horse people. Showers and bathrooms too. I would say to pray for a little rain but not too much. The dust can be miserable at URE.

pinzmog

Hey JakeMate,
On that map that 97tjguzzy posted the link to, look at the bottom left corner and find the Art Lilly Memorial Campground and Forest Service Road #516 (FS 516) leads into it. Just before the brown line becomes blue on the map (FS516 becomes Falls Dam Trail) the campsite in the photo is on the Right if you are driving it (left side on map). It's a ridgeline that's climbing up towards the campground. It's a pretty big area and it sounds like your whole party could find room.

West Morris Mtn. Campground isn't on that map, but it's listed in that link you put in your 1st post.......

West Morris Mountain Camp
Located near the intersection of SR 1303, West Morris Mountain Camp is located .75 miles off the Uwharrie Trail by way of the West Morris Mountain Connector Trail. There are 16 campsites, each with fire grate, lantern post, table, and tent pad. Vault toilets are centrally located, and there is NO potable water.
West Morris Mountain Camp Fees

$5.00 per site per night

Here's another map: http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrierecmap.pdf

Look at the campground symbol with the number 8 .....it's near the word "Uwharrie" in the center.........that's West Morris Campground. It's only a few miles from the trails, but you won't have all that dust to contend with!!! :wings:

I only live about 30 minutes away and have been going there about 27 years now. If you need any information, I can try and help you out. Just send me an email or message.

Here's one more link with fairly current information:
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm

Also, another view of the camping spot near Art Lilly where we ate lunch.....you can see it's a big area.
10z2qmc.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
nice D1, looking forward to seeing everyone on the trails in a few weeks. My D2 will be back at it, Kodak Rock here we come...

Brock63

Observer
Our club goes up a few times a year...we are going in July if you and your friend want to camp and ride with us since it is your first time. The trails are all different levels of challenge and most have GO AROUNDS for the tricky spots....and erosion and weather will dictate how hard the hard ones are and how easy the others are...with Daniel and Rocky Mountain Loop being the two most challenging....but I have done both before in a nearly stock FJC with only 33 inch tires and rocksliders.

I usually stay at Arrowhead campground, in the upper loop around 22-24 depending on what is available. Private sites that are prepared with grill and bench and within walking distance of the showers and bathrooms...with most separated by foliage to give a sense of privacy. I have also stayed at the Biden Lake Group Campground and it is nice as well. Our club may be getting one of the Group Camp sites if still available and it is a one price for everyone deal...welcome to join in if you desire.

Good luck and if we dont see you up there....be careful and enjoy the ride.

I use this site to make my reservations:
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/A...ode=NRSO&parkId=73839&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/B...ode=NRSO&parkId=73841&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/B...ode=NRSO&parkId=73840&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Last edited:

JakeMate

Adventurer
Wow...great information everyone. I really appreciate it. I want to make it fun for my son and I and this really helps.

pinzmog: Thanks for the info. Your last post really helps pinpoint the area.

Brock63: Great info also...thanks. What club are you with and do you have a date for your July trip? Joining a like-minded group would be great.

tiger_rag

Bringing this thread out of the ashes. I'm looking to maybe head to Uwharrie this Sat-Sun. My main question is are there Forest Service roads within the National Forest that are worth riding around on, or are all of the trails in the URE OHV park area? I just like to ride around in the woods for a few hours and find a camping spot. Any insight from you guys familiar with the area would be greatly appreciated.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Bringing this thread out of the ashes. I'm looking to maybe head to Uwharrie this Sat-Sun. My main question is are there Forest Service roads within the National Forest that are worth riding around on, or are all of the trails in the URE OHV park area? I just like to ride around in the woods for a few hours and find a camping spot. Any insight from you guys familiar with the area would be greatly appreciated.

The trails are closed for the season.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
The FS roads are open. There are several campsites along the roads that you can get to, they were all open last weekend! Saturday is a workday, meet at 9am at the Hunt Camp - they open the trails for the volunteers to drive out to work sites. Many folks take a few extra minutes at the end to ride more trails. Lots of dirt roads on the other side of HWY 109 to drive (look up low water bridge)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles