What is the difference between a grill and stove?

12husky

Adventurer
I am going through my cooking gear and looking to make some changes. The part I can't seem to get through my head is what the difference is between my propane grill and my propane stove?

I am thinking of consolidating to a grill and a wok burner as opposed to a grill, 2 burner stove, and a single burner. This shoud allow me to just carry a griddle and a wok and get rid of my pots and pans.

The grill will handle grilling (obviously) and a cast iron griddle on top should handle eggs, scrapple, etc.

The wok should handle anything that would have gone in a pan that the griddle can't and anything that would have gone in a pot.

Besides a dutch oven, what am I missing?

Thanks,

Matt

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
The major difference, other than the cooking surface, is a stove's burner is concentrated to direct heat to optimize use with pots and pans. The grill's burner takes an opposite approach by spreading the heat over a larger area to cook meat evenly.

I think your proposed setup would work well. You should tailor your cooking gear to how you cook. This would be a simple setup that still affords versatility.

As for what you are missing, that depends. You won't know you are missing something until you start using your setup, but I think you have a great start!

Last edited:

12husky

Adventurer
Thanks Beau for the reassurance. I am going to try this set up on our next outing to see how it would work, but I am designing my Kitchen box now. I am trying not to make the box ultra specific to the gear that is going in it, but that is the path it is currently taking.

We don't get fancy with our cooking while camping and in my head this set up should offer everything we need while eliminating 2 pots and 2 pans. Anyone else doing something similar?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
No coffee pot?

I think you will still want a big pot to heat water for washing dishes and personnel hygiene.

We do a lot of those boxed rice and potato side dishes so a medium sauce pan is handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior