Hello new to the site.

citysurf

Observer
Hi there, I am the proud owner of a 2001 Mits Montero XLS, I have it for about 8 months now and I love the thing, I am glad I found the site alot of helpfull information.

I was wondering whagt is the bigest tire that I can install on them I am willing to trim the front bumper and the mud guard, I have read that I can go as big as 275/60/16. if I can get any output on this will be great.

Thanks a lot

Sebastian

Monterorider

Adventurer
Hi there, I am the proud owner of a 2001 Mits Montero XLS, I have it for about 8 months now and I love the thing, I am glad I found the site alot of helpfull information.

I was wondering whagt is the bigest tire that I can install on them I am willing to trim the front bumper and the mud guard, I have read that I can go as big as 275/60/16. if I can get any output on this will be great.

Thanks a lot

Sebastian

275/60/16 is smaller in diameter than even stock 265/70R16
You can install 285/75R16 or 255/85R16 or some equivalent. As long as it's not overly too wide.

citysurf

Observer
hey thanks for the answer, so we can pretty much fit 33 inch tires with minor triming.

Sebastian

Last edited:

citysurf

Observer
Any one out there running 15 inch rims on their 3gen? found a really good deal on 15 inch toyota rims would the wheel patern be the same I have not been able to find it yet
thanks

citysurf

Observer
well I have not gone to see them ill go on tuesday but I wanted to find out if they fit before I made the trip.

RttH

Not that I'm a wealth of knowledge...but I was trying to go from a 15" to 16" and the center hub opening was smaller on the 16" (Montero) rim. Glad I stayed with the 15's anyway.

Monterorider

Adventurer
No 15" wont fit nor will most of 16" aftermarket wheels. You need to stick with stock wheels if you dont want to run into rubbing issues

off-roader

Expedition Leader
No 15" wont fit nor will most of 16" aftermarket wheels. You need to stick with stock wheels if you dont want to run into rubbing issues

That's not entirely true. So long as the aftermarket wheel has the same width, offset/backspacing and can clear the calipers it should fit. Also I don't know about the gen III but on the gen I the middle bore needs to be big enough to fit the hub through it. On gen II's if you plan to 'upgrade' to manual hubs, you also need to keep the center bore size in mind.

HTH.

Monterorider

Adventurer
I'm not saying there are no aftermarket wheels but usually what you find are on expesive side. I'm sure one can get some 20" spinners for $$$. But I'm guessing quest is for cheap alternative. I've tried both my 16" alloys with +2 offset I've got on my Gen 2 and my black steel spare also 16" but 0 offset. Neither one cleared calipers. Center bore is not a problem it's only 75mm on Gen3 compared to 107.8 on Gen 2. And then of course there is no way to fit manual hubs on Gen 3.

citysurf

Observer
well im def not looking forward to get spinners on my truck, i want to get off road tires, I love to get black stealies in 15 but ill get 16s if need be with a nice nobby tire.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm not saying there are no aftermarket wheels but usually what you find are on expesive side. I'm sure one can get some 20" spinners for $$$. But I'm guessing quest is for cheap alternative. I've tried both my 16" alloys with +2 offset I've got on my Gen 2 and my black steel spare also 16" but 0 offset. Neither one cleared calipers. Center bore is not a problem it's only 75mm on Gen3 compared to 107.8 on Gen 2. And then of course there is no way to fit manual hubs on Gen 3.

I don't own or can claim detailed knowledge on the gen III's so I instead did some additional research on one of my favorite tire/wheel retailers websites (albeit I wouldn't go there for high end rims).

DiscountTire.com shows 28 different 16" wheels that would fit a 2001 XLS Montero (not sport). Not sure where you were looking for wheels but perhaps their selection was not as complete? :(

well im def not looking forward to get spinners on my truck, i want to get off road tires, I love to get black stealies in 15 but ill get 16s if need be with a nice nobby tire.

LOL, glad to hear you won't be putting spinners on. According to what they show at DiscountTire.com (all 16" or bigger rims) a 15 probably wouldn't fit.

HTH.

Monterorider

Adventurer
I don't own or can claim detailed knowledge on the gen III's so I instead did some additional research on one of my favorite tire/wheel retailers websites (albeit I wouldn't go there for high end rims).

DiscountTire.com shows 28 different 16" wheels that would fit a 2001 XLS Montero (not sport).
Yet suspiciously tirerack only shows 1 16" option for Gen3.
I suspect (quite possibly wrongfully) that discounttire not overly sofisticated software just goes ahead and matches lug pattern/size then spits out bunch of options yet many of them contain rather IMHO egregious wheel offset changes for example almost half of them show -6mm offset, compare that to +46mm on stock wheels. Rubbing would almost certainly be guaranteed on anything larger than stock diameter tires.
Not sure where you were looking for wheels but perhaps their selection was not as complete? :(
It's been awhile since I looked into wheels for Gen 3. More precisely since 2005 when I got mine. I'm pretty positive I was first pretty much in known universe (between US/OZ/EU forums) to fit 33s (285/75R16) on to unmodified Gen 3. At first I ordered what was at the time considered max size that can fit (265/75R16) then realized it's clearly not true returned them and ordered 33". Back when going with stock wheels if you wanted 16" tires was pretty much only sure option (or at least much cheaper).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online