Chomping at the bit ...

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I'm chomping at the bit to outfit my latest Cherokee. Work and home keeps me extremely busy, and I don't really have much of a budget to work with at the moment. :(

57563133_ce6ed63c60.jpg

In any case, I have the OME suspension ready to install, but I want to wait until spring and run the stock tires down more through winter before I get a slightly larger set. I also need to pick up a fixed output yoke conversion and some shims to tip the rear pinion up a little for a new double-cardan rear driveshaft setup.

What isn't quite as foreseeable is the ARB bumper suite I want to install on the front - Warn winch, 800XS lights, and my radio antenna. I could really use the front recovery point, too.

I can't forget rocker armor. Its not as high on my list as it should be. Every time I put off rocker armor, I regret it - but I have a bit more restraint nowadays, and I'm no longer that active at the off-road park, so it shouldn't be a problem.

There's still more that I want to do, but after this basic equipment, I'll be ready to be more adventurous with the vehicle.

Around here, if you want to drive off-highway, you're going to a pay-to-play location such as Rausch Creek Off-Road Park, or Paragon Adventure Park. These are both sizable plots of land, but not nearly as vast or as interesting as the wide open spaces I've seen pictured out west. Its really quite frustrating.

I'm long overdue for an exploratory road trip out west. Its almost a dream to drive out west, or go on a long cross-country trip with off-highway destinations. It must seem silly, since many of you folks aren't far from these interesting locations as you read this.

As a matter of fact, I was just showing my wife, Jen, pictures of some pacific northwest scenery that I saw on another forum, and I asked her if she'd be interested in moving. Unfortunately, she's very close to her roots around here - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. :D

CLynn85

Explorer
Chris, that's a very clean looking Cherokee you got there, love the body-color moldings and trim. They're really popular around here, very reasonably priced and a ton of aftermarket for them, and the 4.0's are nearly indestructable.

I hear ya on the desire to venture out west. Back home there's not a whole lot of legal wheeling, you have to do some traveling for that, and you're still not getting much at that. Down here in blacksburg I've found there to be a bit to explore in the mountains, but you're still "fenced in" by other civilizations. I'd love to take a trip out west for a couple weeks sometime and check out all this stuff that the west coast guys are posting.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
CLynn85 said:
Chris, that's a very clean looking Cherokee you got there, love the body-color moldings and trim.

Thanks, Carl! :)

The BN Guy said:
What about this for a front bumper?

img1.jpg

Good approach, winch mount, lights, etc.

Its okay. Functionality aside, I'm not fond of the pre-runner styling. That approach clearance very nice though! :cool:

Honestly, I'm a bit of an ARB fanboy, but I like to think that my seemingly obsessive interest in ARB products is justified due to their quality, functionality, and great styling. Nevertheless, I try to remain objective, and I am receptive to non-ARB products. :)

Today, I took a picture of a Cherokee just like mine that had the same Old Man Emu suspension (930/JC1B) that I plan to install. The only difference is, I plan to run slightly larger BFG ATs. Anyway, its nice to see what it will look like when its done. It helps me decide on tire sizes, and trim packers.

69246924_7e8fa86ad8.jpg

I'm really excited. I could feasibly get new tires and install the suspension right now, but there's not much purpose. I have no off-pavement outings planned this winter, so I might as well wait. Boooooring. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior