U500 autoshift problems

67numberfive

Have an '05 U500 and I am having problems with the automatic mode. It won't go into auto and displays the message requiring flipping out the clutch pedal and driving it in manual mode. I am 2 hours away from the closest Freightliner dealer, and it has been there several times for the same issue. They seem to be able to get it to reset, but the problem always comes back. I am just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the same thing... Getting tired of dealing with the dealers lack of knowledge and dumb excuses.
:)

My friends U400 has the same problem , seems that when starting the engine you have to wait with enough patience that all the lights go out before starting the engine...

If you are to fast , you will need to flip the clutch pedal , drive a few miles , shut off the engine , flip back the clutch and redo the starting procedure , nice and slow :drool:
So be cool and it will work

Good luck

dzzz

Are you always putting it in neutral before shutting down?
Are the two auxillary batteries still good?
Have you spoken to one of the unimog NA guys?

There was a recall for EAS equipped U500s to replace the throwout bearing. The original would slowly ingest air. Did yours get this recall? Call Dave Looney or Traian Grecu of Unicat NA (Nat'l service mgrs) and find out.
Warning: flushing air out of the clutch linkage system with EAS is complicated and REQUIRES reference to the service manual (CD disc or at least notebook) and also a pressurized brake/clutch flusher tool (you can buy them from the US pretty cheap, have to have the right thread for the cap).
If the flushing is not done correctly you will have BIG shifting problems.
http://www.expedition-imports.com/c=bVF4RnsVSK1AbDDTZtHZB8LHJ/category/maintenance.ftools/
for the bleeder tool

Charlie

Last edited:

67numberfive

First off, thanks for the reply's!
Yes, I always wait for all the start-up lights to go out before starting... figured that one out the hard way, pretty quickly.
The batteries are all new (main and auxiliary)... that was my first thought and after talking to a tech, I replaced the batteries. Still has the problem.
Charlie, that sounds like a good idea. I will call Dave Looney and see if it has had that recall done. It had a recall done right before I took delivery of it 3+ years ago, I just don't remember exactly what they said they did.

Is there a fault message?
Mine broke a wire from a microswitch that tells the position of the pedal (there are 2 microswitches) and wouldn't do automatic till I fixed it.
The Star computer gives you the schematic for the circuit involved.
My guess is either that or air in the system.

Charlie

dzzz

A note for the archive:

I replaced all the starting batteries, including the smaller backup batteries. The truck can now sit for months without autoshift problems.

With a "mishmash" of older batteries the truck started fine but had to be driven for awhile before autoshift would work. Unless the truck is worked every month the best low discharge batteries seem to be the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94