Driving slow on fast freeways?

VicHanson

Adventurer
Thanks for all the comments. I realize that it is a problem for truckers to maintain speed, or get back up to speed if they have to slow down, so that is one of the reasons I would like to give them advance warning. I will sometimes speed up to 60 or so if I see that one is not going to be able to pass due to traffic. I also run with my clearance lights on if it is getting dark, whether at dusk or cloudy/rainy, not sure how much they show up when the sun is shining.

The best solution I have found is to drive on the non- Interstate, four lane U.S. highways. There is usually a bit less traffic and the speed limit is 65 instead of 70. They tend to be a bit more scenic as well, of course the problem is there are often stop lights going through towns. That will probably be my choice of preference most of the time, but this trip I was in somewhat of a hurry to get to Minnesota - am enjoying a great family reunion here this weekend.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I don't know if you have a CB Radio or not. If you don't have one, I would get one.

Keep it on CB Channel 19. All the Truckers are listening.

Keep an eye on your rear mirrors all the time, while listening to #19. When you see a pack of rigs coming up fast, you can announce a slow moving camper at mile marker so and so.

Like you are heading up Minn. I-35...just announce "Hey Northbound I-35 Rigs, you've go a slow moving camper at mile marker 49".....and repeat.

They will repeat this to their buddies behind them.

They will actually watch for you and will probably thank you as they go by. You will gain respect on the road from the 18 wheelers.

And a few flashes of the emergency flashers will help alert them as they approach.

PhulesAU

Explorer
If you are not keeping up with the flow of traffic, YOU are the hazard. If you are that worried about fuel milage, stop driving or take the back roads.

VicHanson

Adventurer
If you are not keeping up with the flow of traffic, YOU are the hazard. If you are that worried about fuel milage, stop driving or take the back roads.

The last time I checked the minimum speed limit on most freeways was 45 mph so I think I will just continue to exercise my right to drive on the freeways when I choose to. I wasn't placing any blame on others, I was trying to minimize causing a problem for those who are legally driving faster than me. As far as keeping up with the flow of traffic, which in many places like California, it is often faster than the speed limit. In that case, THEY are causing the hazard.

Vic

thecriscokid

Explorer
I don't know if you have a CB Radio or not. If you don't have one, I would get one.

Keep it on CB Channel 19. All the Truckers are listening.

Keep an eye on your rear mirrors all the time, while listening to #19. When you see a pack of rigs coming up fast, you can announce a slow moving camper at mile marker so and so.

Like you are heading up Minn. I-35...just announce "Hey Northbound I-35 Rigs, you've go a slow moving camper at mile marker 49".....and repeat.

They will repeat this to their buddies behind them.

They will actually watch for you and will probably thank you as they go by. You will gain respect on the road from the 18 wheelers.

And a few flashes of the emergency flashers will help alert them as they approach.

Bingo

njtacoma

Explorer
This is not a "get off the freeway" comment, but have you considered it? Not related to speed my family and I came back from a trip where on the way out we went state highways, etc. IT WAS GREAT! Way cooler route, more interesting everything. The movie Cars kind of had it right.

Again not saying your in the wrong. Your not, I use to drive a 66 VW bus all over colorado and out to California (slow enough to get noticed a lot) and it was always more fun to drive it on the back roads in its sweet spot of 45 mph.

Use the highways if you need, but feel free to enjoy the real America.

63tlf8

Observer
I just drove my camper from Florida to Minnesota and didn't have time to go slow and sight see, so was on freeways most of the way. I can cruise at 60 or 65 with my Isuzu NPR camper but the fuel mileage is terrible, especially if there is a head wind, so I drove 55 mph almost the whole way (2000 miles). If the road was rough or with a head wind I sometimes slowed down to 50. The only problem I had with that is that the semi trucks would come up on my tail very fast and then sometimes couldn't pull over to pass due to traffic. This made me a bit nervous, especially if I hadn't noticed them coming up behind me.

Vic,

I think you are a lucky man. You actually have a choice of paying the price for 65 MPH or taking the scenic way. When you normally travel at 70 KPH then its always the scenic route and you just leave early or miss the event.

Can't help with your traffic issues although there have been some good suggestions, I'd never be allowed on those roads anyway.

Tony

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
This is not a "get off the freeway" comment, but have you considered it?
I'd be the first to admit that it is location and time specific, but in many Western states, a vehicle that can't keep up with traffic flow should often stay on the Interstate over a heavily-traveled two-lane.

In Oregon, for example, there are a limited number of heavily-traveled roads from the valley to the Coast or through the mountains. If the oncoming traffic on these roads is heavy enough that the average driver cannot pass you, you'll end up with a couple dozen very frustrated drivers behind you in no time. No matter how sensitive you are to the situation, there are not always good places for a large truck to safely pull off. In addition, if you have a slow accelerating vehicle, it's hard to get back on the road and back to speed before someone else has had to slow for you.

This doesn't apply to lightly traveled roads or travel at times when the traffic isn't heavy. But I submit that if you've got a maximum speed of 55 and slow dramatically on hills, the average driver will generally rather deal with passing you on a multilane than on a heavily traveled two-lane.

FWIW, Camper Mog had a sizeable sig on the back that said "MAXIMUM SPEED 55 on level ground." Don't know how much it helped, but it made me feel beeter and let people know I wasn't just gawking at the scenery.

Outback

Explorer
For me its an issue of respecting other drivers. If you have two lanes going in the same direction then by all means go 55. If your in two lanes with each going opposite directions then it is your duty to go the speed limit or as close to it as possible and safe with your rig (if you have vehicles behind you, if your alone and on a none twisty road then go slow). This keeps idiots from passing you in unsafe spots and or unknowingly pass in unsafe spots like a dip in the road momentarilly hideing an oncoming vehicle. You need to think of others safety over your good gas milage. I cant tell you how many times Ive seen people pass a slower vehicle on a blind turn only because they were in a hurry to pass a slow moving vehicle. I cant tell you how many times Ive had an oncoming vehicle almost hit me or come to close for comfort because they were passing a slower vehicle! Most of the time my wife and children were in the vehicle. If you have the means to go the speed limit then you have the responsability to do so for safety reasons. When no one is around then slow and steady is ok.

My 2 cents worth.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Agreed. Well reasoned and articulated.

..........but I submit that if you've got a maximum speed of 55 and slow dramatically on hills, the average driver will generally rather deal with passing you on a multilane than on a heavily traveled two-lane.

snip

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I understand and generally agree with your position. I usually drive the speed limit or a bit more.

However in your scenario the drivers responsible for performing unsafe passing maneuvers are the ones creating the imminent safety concern. Being in a hurry and using poor judgment are two of the big problems with modern drivers.

I'm not against driving fast, in fact I wish rural speed limits were higher as long as slower drivers would yield to the right as required on multi-lane roads.

$0.015 :)

snip...

You need to think of others safety over your good gas milage. I cant tell you how many times Ive seen people pass a slower vehicle on a blind turn only because they were in a hurry to pass a slow moving vehicle. I cant tell you how many times Ive had an oncoming vehicle almost hit me or come to close for comfort because they were passing a slower vehicle! Most of the time my wife and children were in the vehicle. If you have the means to go the speed limit then you have the responsability to do so for safety reasons. When no one is around then slow and steady is ok.

My 2 cents worth.

KG6BWS

Explorer
If you have the means to go the speed limit then you have the responsability to do so for safety reasons.

And if going the speed limit MAKES you the slower vehicle??

For courtesy's sake, I see someone as having the responsibility to move over and let others pass when they have the opportunity. Thats my biggest beef with people on twisty roads. Everyone seems to think that because theyre out to enjoy a nice slow drive, that everyone else should also.

For the OP's situation, I dont see anything wrong with driving slowly to better your mileage, as long as he at least has the courtesy to allow others to pass. If you're on a 2 lane, pull over when possible. If youre on a freeway/interstate, stay to the right. If I feel like driving slowly, Im going to do it, I just either stay to the right, or pull over when possible to allow others to pass. It is OTHERS responsibility to make sure that THEY drive safely, not mine.

That being said, if I feel like just cruising or taking my time, I also tend to stay on smaller roads, they tend to be less traveled. I have also, many times, stayed in my lane and slowed down waving the other driver by. By slowing down, it gives them more space to safely pass me. That wouldnt work of course with a line of cars, but when I only have one behind or motorcycles, its an easy way to show some courtesy without actually having to stop or pullover.

PhulesAU

Explorer
it is also something to consider, that If there is an accident. the Scumbag lawyer will bring up what A resonable person would do. Most people will find that to be, at least trying to keep up with traffic.

LeadDoggy

Observer
I just drove my camper from Florida to Minnesota and didn't have time to go slow and sight see, so was on freeways most of the way. I can cruise at 60 or 65 with my Isuzu NPR camper but the fuel mileage is terrible, especially if there is a head wind, so I drove 55 mph almost the whole way (2000 miles). If the road was rough or with a head wind I sometimes slowed down to 50. The only problem I had with that is that the semi trucks would come up on my tail very fast and then sometimes couldn't pull over to pass due to traffic. This made me a bit nervous, especially if I hadn't noticed them coming up behind me.

attachment.php

Thanks,
Vic

Now i ain't no professional driver, but when I am coming up on a slower vehicle in the slow lane, i make plans to get around them in a safe manner before I am on their bumper.
At least you are in the slow lane. Here in CA you find the slow drivers in the fast lane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior