Crazy Food From Your Travels

Scott Brady

Founder
I am looking through some old photos, and found some crazy things I have eaten through the years. I bet some of you will easily have me beat.

A gnarly "hot dog" from Chile. I couldn't take more than a few bites.
attachment.php

Attachments

• chile_ (1).jpg
    chile_ (1).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 383

j0nny216

I am starting to plan a (short) trip to Chile in hopefully January and was reading up on different things there and came across their famous hotdogs... so thats what it looks like huh. How did it taste?

I ate a guinea pig in Peru. Unfortunately no pictures. It was actually pretty good.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I used to regularly eat the hotdogs at a highway rest stop in Korea, then I realized that everything we put in hotdogs, they sell on the open market. So what are they putting in theirs????

Probably the strangest thing I have eaten was in Spain: squid cooked in its own ink. Had to be careful not to drip on your clothes...

But, like you said, I'm sure there will be plenty of 'toppers.'

jkam

nomadic man
I've put some pretty strange things into the gullet. For me, the winner was when I was in Morocco out in the bush riding my motorcycle and got an invitation to a Bedouin camp. As the guest of honor I was given an eyeball :Wow1: of the goat that was roasted. Just popped into my mouth and down it went.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've put some pretty strange things into the gullet. For me, the winner was when I was in Morocco out in the bush riding my motorcycle and got an invitation to a Bedouin camp. As the guest of honor I was given an eyeball :Wow1: of the goat that was roasted. Just popped into my mouth and down it went.
The only time I ate an eyeball was in Senegal and my host handed it to me on a stick and said in broken English, "Is good. You'll see." Eyeball. Get it?

Fermented camel meat and eggs is the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten. Not once thought about taking a picture of it because it was the smell that told the story.

Zelix

Adventurer
I've eaten shark fin soup and jelly fish tenticles. Of course all manner of sushi and such. :wings::)

haven

Expedition Leader
South Americans enjoy eating several types of rodents. The roasted Guinea Pig in Peru wasn't too bad, but I didn't enjoy the Capybara stew I was served in the Venezuelan llanos.

Cat and dog meat is on the menu in many parts of the Philippines. Pet owners have to keep a close eye on Fluffy lest she appear in a bowl of adobo. Then there's balut, a hard boiled duck egg containing a partially developed embryo. Some people like the embryo close to fully developed, with feathers, feet and beak. I could handle eating the barely-developed embryo, when it's as small as the tip of a finger.

Lots of cultures use blood and organ meat in stew. Haggis, a traditional dish from Scotland, consists of sheep heart, lungs and liver mixed with oatmeal and seasonings, then stewed for hours in a cow's stomach. No wonder Scots drink whiskey!

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Grilled rat on a stick in Malawi. They sell it on the side of the road. No knowing how long ago it was grilled....

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Snake freshly gutted and cooked on a fire, and cooked mopani worms, are the only two exotic foods I can think of right now. I couldn't bring myself to eat raw mopani worms

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Probably the strangest thing I've eaten are century eggs or thousand year eggs in China. Raw eggs preserved in a mixture of ash, clay, salt, lime and rice hulls for several weeks to several months. They look really odd - kind of a a dark emerald green color, but surpisingly taste very much like a soft boiled egg.

With really unusual foods I often find the biggest problem I have is what's going on in my brain, not my mouth.

Century_egg_sliced_open.jpeg

YJake

Adventurer
I really can't top what has already been mentioned :)

I had some cooked Octopus from a greek fisherman once while on an island off the coast of Greece. I say cooked because I'm not sure how it was prepared, but the skin had turned a red color so it was grilled in one fasion or another.

Tasted like chewy tuna, the suction cups were about the size of dimes/nickles and exceptionally chewy.

Then there's the Stingray. Sounded good in forethought and were fun to spear, but tasted like rotten clam meat after frying it... ::hurl::

-Jake

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
When I guided bicycle tours in France we often ate at Chef Eduard Lubet's View Moulin which is a Michelin 2 star restaurant. Half way through one of my $250 dinners (per person) he served a roast squab that was perfectly cooked to well under medium rare.

Nothing like eating a $75 raw pigeon. Bluh.

Doesn't have to be a mystery meat on some dirty corner of a third world street to be gross.

Toyotero

Explorer
That hotdog looks great, except maybe a little too much mayo (or crema?) :-D

The foods that were most unusual my my gringo pallet that I've encountered in my travels were chapulines and tacos made with gusanos de maguey in Oaxaca. I had the chapulines loose in the market, and I was told that they were sauteed with lime juice and salt (which makes anything good!) and again later in a restaurant that had made a sort of pate out of them. I expected their little legs to poke me in the tongue or cheek, but they were quite soft.

In Monterrico, Guatemala I ate at a small restaurant that offered an appetizer of fried squid with a sauce made from it's ink. It was really good... the only odd thing about the place was that it had a swedish chef who reminded me alot of the Muppet.

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of any of these, so I linked to some I found on the net.

DarinM

Explorer
I ordered an assortment of freeze dried crickets in various flavors that were delivered to my office today. It's been fun sharing them with everyone. Not much to them, just a crunchy bit of flavor, but for quite a few of my coworkers it has qualified as majorly exotic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior