How many miles is to many on Subaru's

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
No amount of miles is "too many" on most any car, as long as it's properly maintained. In my opinion the concept of a car gradually deteriorating with age is a misnomer that stems from peoples tendency to allow their cars to deteriorate rather than repair things as they wear/break.

Personally I'd rather begin an expedition in a 700k mile car that had been carefully inspected and maintained on a rigorous schedule by a knowledgeable and skilled person, than the average 100k mile car. I have two cars with over 300k miles that I consider to be "mechanically like new" and would confidently begin a trip anywhere in either.

In fact, when buying a used car I usually tend to leverage this fact to my advantage. A higher-mileage car that's been very well maintained will cost much less than a low mileage one, but could potentially have more life left in it, and prove more reliable. One benefit cars with more age (and possibly more miles) have going for them is the identification and probable repair of any major pervasive design flaws which could affect reliability or safety.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles