How many miles is to many on Subaru's

wesel123

Explorer
Hey all,

How many miles is to many on a used Subaru. I need to supplement some mile on my LC and was originally looking for a Civic AWD wagon but those are as rare as hens teeth.

So I've been looking at Foresters and such with about 150k to 200k in miles. Most have either had the head gasket problem taken care of and timing belts done, so I'm thinking all the major maintenance is done.

But am I buying a little to old???? I really don't wanna spend more than $3500, so my range is limited.

Help me out boys!!!!

brained

Adventurer
I threw my last Subaru away @ 312,000 miles. That's probably the exception but I hear it's not uncommon either.

We're in a similar situation and starting to look at Foresters. I wouldn't hesitate to get one at 150,000 miles. Especially if the head gaskets and timing belts were done. Replace all the wearing components - hoses, belts, idler wheels, CV shafts and change out all the fluids (diff, tranny, etc) and go for it.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
How many miles is to many on a used Subaru. I need to supplement some mile on my LC and was originally looking for a Civic AWD wagon but those are as rare as hens teeth.

Since you mentioned AWD Civic Wagon, have you seen this inspiring video before?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZzqBPz4sY"]YouTube- Wagon Attack 2[/ame]

The odometer on my suby, WRX wagon, just passed the 80k mark. So it's still young. I plan to keep the suby for a long time along with my LC.

wesel123

Explorer
Yes I have and that vid is flippin RAD. I posted up in the for sale sections at WTB and someone posted that vid......

So I guess I could ask the question...are Subies as reliable as Toyota's and Honda's?????

MotoDave

Explorer
If I were looking for a cheap older high mileage car I would not get something with AWD. Simply more to maintain/replace as it ages. Do you really need 2 4wd vehicles in Long Beach?

wesel123

Explorer
If I were looking for a cheap older high mileage car I would not get something with AWD. Simply more to maintain/replace as it ages. Do you really need 2 4wd vehicles in Long Beach?

Ummmmm yes....when ZOMBIES ATTACK.....duh!!!!:victory:

MotoDave

Explorer
Ummmmm yes....when ZOMBIES ATTACK.....duh!!!!:victory:

:) Good answer.

I took my 03 WRX wagon to 115k miles, and only sold it to get out from under the payment I had left on it. I think a subaru, properly maintained, will do 200k miles as well as a honda or toyota.

durango_60

Explorer
I just returned from a 1800 mile roundtrip in my 04 Outback and crossed 150k along the way. I haven't seen the slightest indication of trouble and plan on continuing to pack on the miles.

wesel123

Explorer
Thanks for all the info so far guys. I looked at a TON of used Subaru over the past few days and decided to go another route. Im going to get a used 1998 Travis 4wd. It just turend over 100k and was owened by a retired teacher from AZ who moved to California. Very clean with all the maintinece records new tires and breaks, not a single leak and he was the original owner.

Mists of the subies I looked at had a tone of miles and a lot of work or it seems the real good ones are not in Cali.

Again thanks for all your help.

We just moved from Va to Az. Our 02 Forester with 160,000 miles carried our canoe, three bicycles, a filing cabinet, a 27" tv, kitchen aid mixer, lotsa shoes a wife a daughter and a hamster. I had never seen the car squat before. I had my doubts when we left, but she never checked. Over mountains and down and into 112 degres in PHX. Never lost a drop of oil and the temp guage never moved.

Wish I could say the same about my Frontier. Kept overheating, had to turn the AC off and run the heat full blast a few times. My Nissan only has 120k and I have much more faith in the Scooby. Thinking of selling my Nissan and buying a second Forester.

Elliot Press

Observer
My 2001 Forester EJ20 5 speed manual has just recently clocked over 200,000 kilometres and it's showing no signs of aging. I've had her since 140,000 and never spent a cent at a mechanic. Done all the servicing myself, including a clutch and she's never even looked like giving up.

Justincredible

Adventurer
I've had 3 subarus: a '98 2.5RS that gave me 280,000 trouble free miles, an '02 WRX that gave me 180,000 of the same with more speed, and an '04 STi that I put just over 80,000 miles on in two years.

They last and take a beating.
I'm currently looking for my 4th (a wagon this time) to drive when gas gets too costly for me to truly offroad anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles