Frogi Truck Tent

billy bee

Adventurer
While this thing is kinda funky looking and too high profile for any off-roading amongst trees, this is a cool low-budget truck camper option at $495. Anybody have one? They claim the design increases MPG. That's hard to fathom.

http://www.ustrucktent.com/shortbed_240.php

sb240_big.jpg

bb

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Interesting for sure.

After seeing the cover of my RTT baloon up and flap in the wind (especially when it's hot)

And having driven canvas covered Military trucks, I also have a hard time believing the MPG promises.

Wouldn't that flat back create more drag?

It would be really cool if it collapsed/folded down over the gear in the bed.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Well, it's a clever piece of work, for sure. Looks a little more "Erector Set" than one might like, but maybe that's a good thing for rigidity and all. Interesting how it can be a ground tent, or be left behind. I wonder if it might work to cover up a motorcycle carried in the bed of a longbed truck.

Anyway, someone buy one and let us know if it's cool or dorky. :)

billy bee

Adventurer
Wouldn't that flat back create more drag?

If a cab-over Peterbuilt were tailgating you it might do better. But assuming the air flows more smoothly over the rig, which is difficult to imagine due to increased frontal area alone, there is a lot of dirty air to tow around...

Still is an interesting option. The testimonial on their website is compelling.

bb

keithert

I have one of these tents. It does not help gas mileage. I loose about 2 mpg with it on my Ram 1500 V8. I love the inside space it has. I can make a bunk so I'm not sleeping on the floor of the truck and have a nice living area to stand up in. A small space heater will keep it warm down to 30 degrees out. My only complaint is that it is not waterproof at all. There are a ton of seam holes where it is sewed together and even after putting seam sealer on them they still leak. The material itself also is not waterproof. I'm planning to make some sort of cover out of heavier material to use as a rainfly. I want to keep the ability to drive with the cover on. It is great being able to just pull in somewhere and have to do minimal setup before sleeping.

Attachments

• 20161005_070144_resized.jpg
    20161005_070144_resized.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20161021_071120_resized.jpg
    20161021_071120_resized.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20161015_113150_resized.jpg
    20161015_113150_resized.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 38

Forum statistics

Threads