Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you outfit this custom LJ?

Default How would you outfit this custom LJ?

What would you do to outfit this LJ as an expedition/overland vehicle? I'm just finishing up building the custom hardtop, and wondering how you guys might outfit it. I do plan side windows, as shown by the paper mockups. Hardtop will also be painted gloss black to match the Jeep body color.

This rear door opens as one-piece "barn door", not a hatch and a tailgate like the factory tops:

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

Very cool! Are you a tent camper or mattress camper? That would really affect the built right there on if you put a sleeping quarters inside or not.

I've also seen someone do a drop down shelf on the rear door on the inside so they have a small platform to put their stove on. Was pretty creative IMO, just using cable/chain as support.

That's all I have for now.
    Bark Bark goes Frankie the Adventure Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by SWbySWXJ View Post
    Very cool! Are you a tent camper or mattress camper? That would really affect the built right there on if you put a sleeping quarters inside or not.

I've also seen someone do a drop down shelf on the rear door on the inside so they have a small platform to put their stove on. Was pretty creative IMO, just using cable/chain as support.

That's all I have for now.
    Being 6' 6", there probably isn't enough room for me to sleep inside unless I removed the passenger seat. This hardtop will support a roof top tent, but I'm not too keen on the idea of sleeping on top.

Shelf on the rear door is an interesting idea, I could use the same mounting points I put in the tailgate for the rear door upper...

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

Man, that custom topper is cool. It kind of looks like an old Land Rover and a Jeep mated and this was their offspring.

For outfitting, a small lift of 2-3 inches with appropriately sized tires and maybe a regearing would be my first modifications. Then a full size spare with some sort of way to mount it to the vehicle, a swing out tire carrier would be best but since it looks like a Rover it might be cool to mount it on the hood. A front bumper with a winch and a bag of assorted recovery gear would be next on my list, straps and shackles and a chain and a snatch block and hi lift jack, that sort of stuff. Next I'd figure out a way to carry some jerry cans, one or two cans would be plenty. They are usually best mounted outside the vehicle somewhere so that you don't get fumes in the cab. Finally an air compressor and some air lockers would complete the package. With the winch and an air compressor a dual battery setup and a high output alternator might be a good idea, and especially if you add high intensity lights.

We're going to have to have a build thread on this jeep.
    Lets leave all our crap where it is and go live in the woods.
    K7WS

I ride a scooter, therefore I am.

I've been following some of your work on the various forums, all top notch.

Outfitting wise I think the 'barn door' is begging for rack system on the inside. Maybe extend the two support bars to the top of the window. flip down table on the bottom (12"-18") then some quick fist's or something similar to hold medium weight items, like shovels, maybe some small ruck sack's for odds and ends.

That's just considering the top. I would also probably do a drawer system and maybe some side rack's on the interior as well. Are you keeping the back seat?
    I really like the white top on the rack and think that's the way it should end up. Cut's down on heat obviously as well.

Good Luck, looking forward to how it turns out.

I would look into some of the Defender 90 rigs and how they are setup as its similar in a lot of ways and they have some serious experience in long distance overlanding.

Lowell, Massachusetts and Denver, Colorado
    If the back of my LJ looked like this (including the bulkhead) I would be one happy camper!

From Mercedesrover trip to James Bay

Cheers,
    Graham
    Graham Fitter

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Wow

I think following the lines of a traditional exploration LR is a great idea. Skinny tires (235/85 or 255/85) with a small lift, basic bumpers, and mounting a spare on the hood wood be SWEET!

Nice craftsmanship!

AEV Highline hood/fenders and the largest tires that would fit with that combination (33s? 35?). Re-gear as appropriate. No suspension lift.
    - 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4
    - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0
    - 2005 Starcraft 11RT
    - Some indeterminate race car project (between whips)
    - My other car is in pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Juntura View Post
    Wow

I think following the lines of a traditional exploration LR is a great idea. Skinny tires (235/85 or 255/85) with a small lift, basic bumpers, and mounting a spare on the hood wood be SWEET!

Nice craftsmanship!
    Yep the closer to stock in all mechanical parts you can keep it the better.
    Remember he's building an overland vehicle not a rock crawler, very different setups.

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast