How would you outfit this custom LJ?

fstrat

An inspiring build! Great work. I like the LandRover Defender-esque style (if it's okay to say that). The basket rounds out the look. It's a good thing you reinforced the top, makes it all the more usable. Your other projects are fantastic as well.

Enjoy your creation in good health!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
An update on this project - lately I've been finishing up a few optional details for the Safari Cab, things I designed when I did the main hardtop design, but left for later when I did the main build.

When I was at SEMA a few weeks ago, I saw this new roof top tent (and tested it for size - I'm 6'6"):

RTT1.jpg

That inspired me to get around to fabricating and installing the roll-bar roof rack supports I had designed for the hardtop. This is a set of brackets that support the rooftop rack directly on the factory roll bar. All weight on the roof rack is transferred to the roll bars, so the fiberglass roof doesn't bear any of the weight of the cargo on the roof. I got the brackets fabricated and installed, and then did some weight testing. With these brackets installed, the rack can easily support more weight than it would be safe to drive with. A roof top tent, for example, could easily be supported, which would have a safe "driving weight" but a much heavier "sleeping weight".

Here's a digital edit of the tent installed on the hardtop:

SEMA_RTT.jpg

And a real photo of stuff in the rack basket:

RackTest5.jpg

And I've installed the rear wiper/washer in the barn door, here's a "caught in action shot":

Washer.jpg

DAMAGE_ctrl

Awsome job...

That is an awsome job..Really enjoy every aspect and the thought you have put into it...One question, do you plan on adding a laddder or some sort of steps to access the cargo carrier? The ladder may also be used for you roof top tent?:drool:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That is an awsome job..Really enjoy every aspect and the thought you have put into it...One question, do you plan on adding a laddder or some sort of steps to access the cargo carrier? The ladder may also be used for you roof top tent?:drool:

Thanks!

This particular tent comes with a ladder for getting into the tent, but for cargo usage, being as tall as I am I find that I can either stand on the rear bumper or on the top of the rear tires for loading/unloading.

A ladder might be more convenient though, I have designed one, here's a drawing:

Ladder.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's another tent I saw at SEMA:

RTT3.jpg

Just for fun I've digitally installed that one on the Safari Cab as well:

RTTc.jpg

wild1

Adventurer
roof top tent

Your jeep is looking great, I like the roof ladder design it's very clean. Who is the manufacturer of the first roof top tent in your latest post?

CharlieV

Adventurer
Jeff,

Nice to see your project on this forum.

The Maggiolinas have always looked like the quickest to deploy, but both the Hannibals and the Ez-Awns are popular in http://vtxs.org/, the club in which I'm a member. Determine what your most important feature is (length, ease of setting up, etc.) and choose accordingly. Different brands of RTTs have plusses and minuses (not that I'm any kind of expert).

I'm getting ready to build a sleeping platform to use when traveling alone in my scrambler that will work with the passenger seat flipped forward. A RTT on my jeep which is 6'8" to the top of the hard top would make it too tall for use on the trails in NE if it were also equiped with a RTT. An Oz-tent is on the purchase list for next season when I take a navigator along.

I look forward to commenting more after I have time to read this thread in its entirety.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff,

Nice to see your project on this forum.

The Maggiolinas have always looked like the quickest to deploy, but both the Hannibals and the Ez-Awns are popular in http://vtxs.org/, the club in which I'm a member. Determine what is your most important feature is (length or ease of setting up, etc.) and go from there. All the RTTs have thier own plusses and minuses. I'm getting ready to build a sleeping platform to use when traveling alone in my scrambler that will work with the passenger seat flipped forward. A RTT on my jeep which is 6'8" to the top of the hard top would make it too tall for use on the trails in NE. An Oz-tent is on the purchase list for next season when I take a navigator along.

I look forward to commenting more after I have time to read this thread in its entirety.

Hi Charlie,
RTT's wouldn't be my sleeping accommodation of choice, but I looked into them when I was designing the Safari Cab because I wanted to make sure I designed a hardtop that could support the weight of a RTT. With the weight testing I did last week I proved that the design of the hardtop is up to the task of supporting a RTT, so my goal has been achieved.

I'm on to my next project now, the Safari Cab work is done. Feels good to have this challenging project successfully behind me :).

Jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Will your top have enough head room for troop seating on the fenders if i modify the roll bar.

There is 31" between the top of the inner fenders and the bottom of the roof. Not sure how much room you need.

Since the hardtop is fully modular, I've designed an alternate taller roof panel which offers another 3" in the back, but I'm not sure if I'll ever make the mold for this one:

InAction2.jpg

BTW, the Safari Cab roof is about 1/2" higher than the Jeep World Cab hardtop roof, for which troop seating was offered from the factory, but the TJ/LJ inner fenders are higher than the CJ-8 inner fenders so overall there's a little less room for troop seating than there is in the CJ-8/World Cab combination. The Safari Cab on a Scrambler would offer plenty of room for troop seating, here's an ad from the 80's for the World Cab:

world2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior