How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If it were me, I'd make sure those rear windows could be popped open for some ventilation, minivan style, heck maybe even use the windows from a Dakota or Ram Club cab?

How's this for ventilation? The hardtop is modular so the side panels are removable, also the rear barn door upper is easily removable :) (took this photo before I shot it in black primer)

HardBikini5.jpg

But to more directly answer your question, for now I'm putting fixed windows in, but I can swap the side windows for sliders in the future. I did consider "flip open" rear quarter windows (like minivan) but decided if I needed more ventilation, sliders in the place of the large windows would be a better choice because they would provide direct air for the back seat.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Τhis top makes the jeep look bigger and the lires look smaller...
So a lift and bigger tires...

Agreed it makes the Jeep look bigger... currently has a 2" BB lift, and 245/75-16 MTR tires. When these tires wear out I'll replace them with 265/75-16's.

tweenerlj

Adventurer
How's this for ventilation? The hardtop is modular so the side panels are removable, also the rear barn door upper is easily removable :) (took this photo before I shot it in black primer)

HardBikini5.jpg

But to more directly answer your question, for now I'm putting fixed windows in, but I can swap the side windows for sliders in the future. I did consider "flip open" rear quarter windows (like minivan) but decided if I needed more ventilation, sliders in the place of the large windows would be a better choice because they would provide direct air for the back seat.

Have you though of any way to carry the side panels on top? I like that feature if it could be accomplished while on the trail. Maybe add some soft side panels that could be easily stowed as another option.

Also, do you plan to fit a wiper on the back glass?

Flyn G

Observer
I'm doing an LJ right now but the progress is slow.

I'd look at Undercover Fab or Savvy for some skid plates. That's next on my list.

BCC rails, I needed steps for my kids to get in so I bought these as an upgrade/jack point. Good value and excellent service from Brook.

Locker in the front. I went with an Aussie. Still new and in the break-in period, but excellent so far.

Flyn G

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Any opinions on rooftop racks? I've got an XJ Cherokee rack installed on it now, and the hardtop design includes roll-bar tie-ins for the roof rack, so weight isn't an issue.

I'd say figure out a way to do a basket style rack, and then stick with the Land Rover style and put a small ladder up the back side.

mountainsoul

Adventurer
Being 6' 6", there probably isn't enough room for me to sleep inside unless I removed the passenger seat. :( This hardtop will support a roof top tent, but I'm not too keen on the idea of sleeping on top.

So what are your plans for sleeping arrangements?

I really like the top btw. I would just add the usual suspects I guess. Extra driving lights. Bumpers with a winch. Some armor. Some interior storage. A roof rack with recovery gear, jerry cans and RTT. Maybe a side awning. Throw my MTB and IK on and hit the road.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Have you though of any way to carry the side panels on top? I like that feature if it could be accomplished while on the trail. Maybe add some soft side panels that could be easily stowed as another option.

I have two designs for open/soft sides.

Design 1: Running the roof as a hard bikini, with roll-up soft side panels:

SafariBikini.jpg

SafariBikini2.jpg

Design 2:

A side panel that provides for snap-in soft windows, or hard windows:

SoftWindows2.jpg

I've got the mold ready for the side panel for the snap-in windows, just haven't gotten around to molding it yet. Maybe next week.

Also, do you plan to fit a wiper on the back glass?

Yes, I designed the rear door upper with a cavity just below the window to contain a wiper, it's a little hard to really see it in this photo, but there's abut 2 1/2" of depth in the door to put a wiper (or to make a storage compartment), it's the area in the upper below the window and between the "stakes" that mount it to the tailgate.

RearDoorMockup8.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'd love to see this top photoshoped onto my Jeep...

If you can send me a photo that's a straight side view, I could put the top on it like I did with these photos:

InAction.jpg

Highline2.jpg

Oh BTW, since the top is modular, there's a half-cab version too:

HalfCabPhoto2.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
For starters, I'd go with Hanson front and rear bumpers, AEV progressive springs and rear spring relocators, Currie 4" lift short arm kit. GenRight long range fuel tank, Off Road Only U-turn steering, Off Road Only swaybar in front, 33" MTR tires...

oh wait, that sounds like my rig :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'd say figure out a way to do a basket style rack, and then stick with the Land Rover style and put a small ladder up the back side.

I was thinking the same thing, here's a concept drawing of the rack:

PhotoXJRack4.jpg

And the ladder...

Ladder.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So what are your plans for sleeping arrangements?

I've also got some trailer design concepts, based on the same fiberglass hardtop components. Maybe that's a better choice for sleeping. This is a very rough concept, finished camper trailer would probably be somewhat different but this does illustrate how the same modular fiberglass components could be used to make a trailer:

Camper1.jpg

SGNellett

Adventurer
I was thinking the same thing, here's a concept drawing of the rack:

PhotoXJRack4.jpg

And the ladder...

Ladder.jpg

I like that idea! :victory:

I've also got some trailer design concepts, based on the same fiberglass hardtop components. Maybe that's a better choice for sleeping. This is a very rough concept, finished camper trailer would probably be somewhat different but this does illustrate how the same modular fiberglass components could be used to make a trailer:

Camper1.jpg

You are killing me here with all this stuff! I can't even draw it in mspaint, and you just go out and build it like legos! If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living, is all this fab part of your day-to-day? I can't even fathom what you must have wrapped up ($) in all your projects!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles