Roughin it in a Mercedes

Doin_It

Adventurer
I forgot about reading Jim Rogers trip in his neatly modified Mercedes, till "DesertDouglas" said "It's like deciding that a Porsche would be the perfect expedition vehicle"

Anyway.......... here is a link to ones guys idea of roughin it in a Mercedes 230/G Wagon.

http://millenniumadventure.com/

haven

Expedition Leader
even more impressive

JIm Rogers' trip was impressive. It would be even more
impressive if they didn't travel in a caravan with a
Unimog carrying spare parts and a couple of mechanics.

They say money can't buy happiness. However, money
does buy a big helping of convenience.

Chip Haven

kcowyo

ExPo Original
:iagree:

They say, Adversity introduces a man to himself. I wonder who sees in the mirror....?

That Mercedes is, um, it's.... well you could say it, uh.... it does have ahhh... Aw hell, the only positive thing I can say about that outfit is it's yellow. Veeeerrrry, very yellow.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
C'mon,
That's a pretty sweet trip and rig.
Granted, the budget was probably a bit large but the guy obviously used some marketing and business knowhow to facilitate a dream and have an adventure.

I have not looked through all the information but at first glance it looks like they had fun!

bootzilla

Adventurer
Ahh - remember seeing that rig in Car and Driver a few years back. Pretty neat...not sure how that translates to writing and selling books, but I didn't really read about what he is doing on the site...

kcowyo

ExPo Original
mcvickoffroad said:
C'mon,
That's a pretty sweet trip and rig.

Sweet trip? Oh yeah, definitely.
Sweet rig? I'm guessing Max still isn't letting you get any sleep? :punk03:

Hey, I tried to be positive....

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I would highly recommend reading Rogers' book "Adventure Capitalist". It is a very insightful read into world economics & politics.

fwop

zzzzzz
I would also highly recommend 'Adventure Capitalist'
-- I just downloaded the audiobook version to listen to while traveling and it had me wanting to keep driving just to listen to more...
the audio version is narrated by Jim Rogers himself and you can sense the excitement and pleasure in his voice recounting his amazing trip.
I would also recommend his first book 'Investment Biker'. It's his account of his around the world motorcycle trip. Great stuff.

overlander

Expedition Leader
THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I have been struggling over the last few months trying to figure out what vehicle Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie should drive for next years "A Simple Life goes on safari"!! Bamm! Now I know! I'm off to the fan website to let them know!!!!

WEWWW what a relief!

P.S. and it even has a cute motocycle enclosed trailer for Paris's little dog's carrier when he's sitting on her lap in the drivers seat (oh wait, Paris doesn't drive anymore....hmmmm. guess that leaves more room for shopping bags)

Scofco

Observer
Another vote on reading his books, I couldn't put them down. He is a fantastic writer and a very interesting character.

I had a chance to see that Mercedes up close briefly as he passed through town, it's what sparked my interest in overlanding. The Expeditions West crew solidified it though.

fwop

zzzzzz
that would be his girlfriend(now wife) they were married during their travels. Documented in 'Adventure Capitalist' -- there was another woman with him in 'Investment Biker'

even if you don't like his vehicle you've got to admire his resiliency in making 2 around the world trips traveling with women -- (my girlfriend has issues with daytrips and a weekend would be pushing it...)

haven

Expedition Leader
one style of adventure travel

Not seen in the photos is the chase vehicle that followed Jim Rogers on his travels. It was a truck with a mechanic and lots of spares, plus a guide who spoke the local language.

Money may not be able to buy happiness, but money can rent happiness for a while.

Chip Haven

Incusus

Adventurer
haven said:
Not seen in the photos is the chase vehicle that followed Jim Rogers on his travels. It was a truck with a mechanic and lots of spares, plus a guide who spoke the local language.

Money may not be able to buy happiness, but money can rent happiness for a while.

Chip Haven

Thats the second time you've mentioned that. Personally, I say all the more power to him. I'll travel according to my budget, let him travel according to his.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior