Unicat vs Action Mobil.

Regarding MAN and Euro 4-5 emissions:
MAN offers 2 options:
1) AdBlue, catalysts (SCR), no DPF (diesel particulate filter)
2) No AdBlue, but heavy EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) and DPF.

On the face of it #2 sounds better. it was the American solution for 2007-10. But all the Americans except Navistar are going to #1 for 2010. Heavy EGR with active regenerating DPF to burn the clouds of soot produced by heavy EGR eats fuel, dirties the oil and wears out the engine quicker. Fuel mileage in US engines is up 5% for 2010 vs 2007 (Detroit Diesel DD15) to 25-30% (Ford Scorpion 6.7 vs Powerstroke 6.4).
Both options require ultra low sulfur fuel though that can be "bent" for a while, and lower sulfur/phosphorus/ash (SAPS) lube oil which is easily found.
Tough decision, but after 2010 or certainly 2013 #1 will be the only option.
Except it will be #1 + DPF.

Charlie

DarrenM

Thanks charlie.

The rest of the world is catching up.
"By the 25th of November 2008, a limited number of YPF gas stations will began to sell a diesel fuel named “EURO DIESEL” that will contain 50 or less ppm of sulfur. This imported diesel will supply the demand for EURO IV fuel requirements, mainly for high-end cars that could not be sold because of the poor diesel quality."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low_sulfur_diesel

Africa has no plans for ULSD. Perhaps an older chassis with a new cabin is the best way forward for me.

Last edited:

hl3g

Man TGM

Hello I am back; I think it has been more then 1 year that I did not visit the forum. At that time I was looking to build my Expedition Truck based on an Isuzu NPR. Finally the weight capacity made me change my mind (this Expedition Truck needs to suit 2 adults and 3 kids). Decision is made I go for the Man TGM 13.250 4x4 BB (Crew cab). The order is on its way to Man Germany. However I am still hesitating on two options:
Fulltime 4x4 or 4x2 switchable in 4x4.
Wheels size 22.5" or 20"

What do you recommend and why?

Looking forward for your inputs.

Cheers.

Hubert.

If you intend on using the truck in N European winters get the fulltime 4WD.
Regarding wheels, 395/85R20 and 14.00R20 have a bigger footprint
at low pressure than 385/65R22.5. Even 365/80R20 are better in
footprint. Also multipiece rims are workable in the field (20");
22.5" require a big tire machine.
I carry 2 unmounted spares on my roof.

Charlie

haven

Expedition Leader
22.5 is the standard heavy truck tire size world-wide. The 20 inch wheel diameter is used more for tactical trucks and certain off-road machinery. So it will be more difficult to find a replacement tire for a 20 inch rim. Best to do like Charlie does, and carry a couple of spare unmounted tires!

Re full time or part time 4x4, I'd be inclined to choose part time 4x4. Better to get into trouble in 2WD and have 4WD to get you unstuck. If you get stuck in 4WD, in a big MAN truck you may be stuck for good!

But recall that all the AWD trucks have 3 diff locks.
You have less traction with the center diff
open than in part time 4wd. When I start using the diff
lock switch I get careful. Fulltime 4wd is a big
safety factor in winter driving.
If you plan very little off tarmac driving get 22.5s.
Otherwise, get 20s.

Charlie

hl3g

"You have less traction with the center diff
open than in part time 4wd."

Here I just learn something, I did not know that! So better going with 4x2 then 4x4 fulltime.

Regarding the wheels size you recommend 20" for Off road and 22.5" for tarmac. I guess that 22.5" are more comfortable, right?

Thanks for your inputs guys!

Cheers.

Hubert.

hl3g

I checked with Man and the truck comes with 22.5" as a standard. To switch to 20" they are asking 3900 Euros. I guess I will stay with the 22.5".
Can you recommend me with, apart from the Michelin XZL, which accepts low pressure? Apparently from what I heard the Conti MPT81 does not perform with low pressure!
Cheers.

Hubert.

MultiSmog

Action Mobile

I visited Action Mobile in Austria to check their campers, their attention to detail is impressive, production quality is superb and the finess of their designs is "tasteful". No ugly cheap looking flowery type upholstery here.
Every single part either bought or hand-made at their shop is top-notch.

"You have less traction with the center diff
open than in part time 4wd."

Here I just learn something, I did not know that! So better going with 4x2 then 4x4 fulltime.

Regarding the wheels size you recommend 20" for Off road and 22.5" for tarmac. I guess that 22.5" are more comfortable, right?

Thanks for your inputs guys!

Cheers.

Hubert.

NO!
If driving on ice fulltime 4wd is safer; less chance of a spinout!

Charlie

Honestly , I think it will be easier to find an XZL in 20 inch all over the world than an XZL in 22.5 inch .....
But 22.5 in "construction" tread can easly be found.
Not sure about the price , I only have the option code on my invoice . My truck came with Conti MPT 81 , I will do Iceland with them this summer , but I already have two XZL spares and before leaving to South America in 2013 the truck will be on XZL for sure

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Be sure to check into Unicat's reputation and past dealings before handing over massive amounts of cash to them..

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Be sure to check into Unicat's reputation and past dealings before handing over massive amounts of cash to them..

Have you heard things the rest of us have not? I have never heard anyone complain about unicat. Please do share...

Charliearrons,

I am not sure I follow what you are saying about full time 4x4 being better than selectable 4x4. Can you please elaborate on that as well?

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier