Unicat vs Action Mobil.

DarrenM

Why are Unicats so expensive ?

I have a quotation for a New Action Mobil based on their Temet design with the addition of an internal motorcycle garage. Body size is 4.6 mtr and all equipment is top spec. Price €320,000 including VAT.

http://www.actionmobil.com/page9/page9.html

A few days ago I noticed a used MAN EX-44 on the Unicat site, €295,000 for a five year old vehicle.

http://www.unicat.net/en/info/GEX44-MANM4x4.html

Both companies are using the same components to build their trucks. The only difference between the two vehicles is Recaro seats in the Unicat, Solar Power on the Action Mobil.

Buy new or used ???

Attachments

• m_temet.jpg
    m_temet.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 469
  • m_EX44-MANM4x4-560.jpg
    m_EX44-MANM4x4-560.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 466
Are you SURE they have the same option list? The component description on either one of these vehicles is pages long - in my case, 11 pages.
I have been in the Unicat you describe. It is virtually unused. Also, that is an asking price for a used vehicle, and unlike a price for a bespoke new construction, it is somewhat negotiable.
The options for mine were 50-60000 euros.
Do you live outside N. America?
I would think long and hard before taking up valuable interior storage space with a motorcycle garage. The rear storage area of mine is full of recovery gear, tools, ladder, folding chairs, sand mats. Where you going to put that stuff if you store a motorcycle there instead of outside?
Welcome to the Expo forum.

Charlie

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Maybe its like a Harley... people pay extra for the name?

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
I suppose the used one will have had 21k miles worth of a shakedown and any teething problems will be sorted.

I'm very jealous of your dilema. :drool:

DarrenM

Are you SURE they have the same option list?
Do you live outside N. America?
I would think long and hard before taking up valuable interior storage space with a motorcycle garage.

Charlie

Thanks for the responses. My quote from Action Mobil is comprehensive.
It is fully fitted out, central/under floor heating, fresh, grey and black water tanks, roof hatches, solar power, shore connections, water filtration, exterior lockers, proper toilet, additional storage cupboards, air conditioning, 500Ah battery, inverter, two fuel tanks, fridge/freezer, 3 ring stove, teak floor, passage to cab.....etc.

Unicat has hydraulic motorcycle lift, Action Mobil is electric.

The TC45 body Unicat has on special offer (€140k) is comparable on spec and price to a similar size Action Mobil body.

I am considering if storing the motorcycle internally is worthwhile, as you say it will take up a lot of space. They do fit aircraft style runners inside the 'garage' door to secure items. I can also add an internal storage area to overcome this but it will add 400mm to the body length, it will keep the overall length under 7 mtr.

I do love the name 'UniCat'.

Last edited:

DarrenM

I suppose the used one will have had 21k miles worth of a shakedown and any teething problems will be sorted.

I'm very jealous of your dilema. :drool:

It will also make the Carnet cheaper as the chassis is worth about half the cost of a new MAN.

One enormous advantage of the used vehicle: it is Euro III emissions, does not require AdBlue or ultra low sulfur fuel.
If you buy the new MAN chassis, I would consider adding an extra very large AdBlue tank ~100-150L. But you still have the problem of sulfur in the fuel messing up the catalysts (both oxidation and reduction).

Charlie

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I met people that first bought "cheaper" and after the first tour they changed their mind and bought from Unicat!

I also have seen "cheaper" options being ripped apart after the first few off road miles.

Go with Unicat, they keep the value and wont let you down.

Cheers,
Andreas

DarrenM

Thanks again for the responses, it is helping me clarify my choices.
One enormous advantage of the used vehicle: it is Euro III emissions, does not require AdBlue or ultra low sulfur fuel.
If you buy the new MAN chassis, I would consider adding an extra very large AdBlue tank ~100-150L. But you still have the problem of sulfur in the fuel messing up the catalysts (both oxidation and reduction).

Charlie

I believe MAN Trucks are one of the few that don't require any additives to achieve Euro 5. In 2014 the regulations are getting tighter, I think that may cause problems.

Am I correct to assume the sulfur destroys the catalysts but does not affect running only emissions ? I had a similar problem with my motorcycle exhaust system using leaded fuel.

I met people that first bought "cheaper" and after the first tour they changed their mind and bought from Unicat!

I also have seen "cheaper" options being ripped apart after the first few off road miles.

Go with Unicat, they keep the value and wont let you down.

Cheers,
Andreas

The core components they use for the build all come from the same suppliers; Seagull Filtration, AGM Batterys, Sealand Toilets, Webasto heaters....

Action Mobil can supply a body mounted to a chassis for €150k (excluding VAT), Unicat €160k. Both have identical specifications. The Unicat is a special offer price, reduced by €60k. At normal pricing that would be a 30% difference in price.

As you say Andreas perhaps it has to be down to build quality. I think a visit to Germany and Austria is needed before making a decision.

Do we have any Action Mobil owners on here ???

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I have not seen anyone who has an AM on here. Personally I think they are pretty nice vehicles though. Of course I have not traveled to see them, so I can only speak from what I have read online.

I fully agree with Charlie, and I Can tell you that many people here see him as a stand-up good guy, who knows his stuff.

I also agree that the Euro III will make a huge difference, everything I have read tells me that those newer engines, and the same with the USA new engines, terrible to take out of the first world countries.

I do not know about Action mobile, but I do know that Unicat is VERY customer oriented. When you buy a new one (and I do not know if they do this for used) they will take you out on a trip and stay with you until you feel comfortable and have learned everything you want to know about the trucks. That is pretty cool, in my opinion.

Good luck in your choice, we would love to hear all about your trips, and what you glean from them.

Layout wise... I personally think that the Unicat layout is really nice, IF You happen to have a little ball and several little pins to knock over. Otherwise the AM has a much more open concept layout. I feel claustrophobic just looking at the photos of most unicats.

Cheers
Brian

Last edited:
The MAN TGM series does not need ad blue even in the new Euro V configuration.
De bigger series TGS , TGA do require ad blue.
The higher sulfur did not (yet) destroy our PDF filters trough our latest Africa trips ( not in the trucks and neither in the Jeep Jk's Crd). The PDF gets really hot and simply burns the sulfur. Exhaust trip gets a nice green color :)

My very very personal idea on Unicat, and I do not want to offence anyone, : they deliver very good stuff , but they have a hughe workshop to pay and lot's of craftsman on the payroll.

I think there are other constructors , who spend less money on public relations who deliver also good material and are lots cheaper for equal quality.
And ,by the way, there's is also a difference in price between the Unicat series and the Terra Cross series.

And at Action Mobil you can choose between more "sporty" trucks and more "luxery " trucks , and there will be a difference in price for sure

And latest remark : to bee honest , building a truck with an inside motorcyle garage and max; length of 7 metres , will be a hard challenge I think.

Our truck is is 6.99 m long ( without spare tires on the back) and like Charlie says , the garage in the back is full off equipment , material , foodsupplies etc.. and a bike inside would only be an option for weekend trips. On a longer body maybe but on this body lenght ???

Last edited:

DarrenM

Again thanks for all your responses.

I have a design to fit a motorcycle inside and 500+ Liter of extra storage. Total length 7.07 mtr excluding spare wheel on back.

I will keep you informed of my decision.

Last edited:

dzzz

.......... I think a visit to Germany and Austria is needed before making a decision.

Do we have any Action Mobil owners on here ???

I think you will very much enjoy visiting both vendors. Victorian here is a former Unicat employee. I don't recall any Action Mobil owners.

Good luck and let us know your decision.

mike_monster03

Hello,
it sounds great do have the choice bedween Unicat and AM but I totally agree with fluoristrada camper: check out the other european companys. There are some others who also build in high quality and reliable standard to reasonable prices.
Best regards
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94