Any built 300tdi D1 owners here?

LtFuzz

Explorer
You may not plan on it, but what if circumstances dictate that you have to sell it? Then you are stuck.

The best part about the Land Rover community is that there is always somebody looking to buy your pile of junk from you. :ylsmoke:

syke

Adventurer
It really just comes down to wanting a D1 with a diesel. No amount of justification/economics/etc would ever make it a rational choice. :sombrero:

I agree that going with an older D1 would be ideal. Sourcing an older one, pulling the v8, stuffing it into my D1 and selling my truck. Makes sense on the surface.
I'm afraid I would be trading one set of issues for another though. I have owned my D1 for years now and have just about gone through the entire truck. I really don't want to start that process all over again, especially since I can not get enough money out of my current truck to help justify it.
I am going to just stick with what I have and make it work. Having talked with a few guys that have put diesels in DII's (with slabs,bcu's,climate control,etc) it sure sounds like my early obd2 (without slabs,bcu,climate control) truck will be easier. Not saying it won’t be a pain in the *** or that I wont be chasing down systems that need to be re-wired, but it is completely doable.

Between the Australian and UK LR forums and youtube videos the amount of tech support out there is astounding. It's absolutely awesome to find groups of people that just flat out want to help you reach the end goal.

junkyddog11, I've read some of your posts on pirate. Quite helpful.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Be sure to post a build/conversion thread here or on another board. I am sure there will be a lot of people interested in reading it. Good luck with the project!

Roverx

Observer
I have had a built Defender 300 tdi for 9 yrs and 125K and have no real issues. Fast no, but it will do 70 mph all day long. It's a truck what do you want. I just finished a 300 tdi 5 speed Saudi Spec Discovery 1 as a more family truck. Again it's a truck and drives like one. If I wanted to speed down the road I would get a X5. On the plus side, they both average 25 mpg and I get cheap Bio diesel.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 22

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
I have had a built Defender 300 tdi for 9 yrs and 125K and have no real issues. Fast no, but it will do 70 mph all day long. It's a truck what do you want. I just finished a 300 tdi 5 speed Saudi Spec Discovery 1 as a more family truck. Again it's a truck and drives like one. If I wanted to speed down the road I would get a X5. On the plus side, they both average 25 mpg and I get cheap Bio diesel.

I'm not a fan of the color, but it looks nice and it's clean. So what's so special about the saudi specifications? I am aware of the saudi spec grills, which is just a different design (perhaps allows more airflow??). What else is special about them? A bigger/robust cooling system, different airfilter? It gets just as hot in the US desert southwest (where LR tests there vehicles) as SA, so i can't imagine there being much of a difference. Where did you find the saudi specs? I have searched and didnt find anything. I am interested in what those specs are.

By the way, did you get your tires & wheels from Rovers North? I saw where they were selling the same tire and wheel combo (XZLs and white vented steel wheels) for $373 each.

See... http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-12752-tire-wheel-combo-michelin-750xzl-on-vented-rim.aspx

Last edited:

Roverx

Observer
I love the two tone on the Disco. Saw it on a MOD Disco 1, flat green and white roof and loved it. I just had it painted from silver. I'm so tired of red, white or green Discovery's. Also I had to match the grey interior. The blue is really nice up close and one of may favorite LR colors.

The difference with a Saudi Spec from what I can tell is really just the grill. ( mine is not mounted yet) All wire mesh and better air flow. For all intensive purposes it's just a ROW Discovery 1. Different dash, gauges in kilometers, no sunroof, different markers lights, no air bags, no ABS, no computer,no electric seats. Best of all NO RUST. Doors did have a good bit of sand though. From my view, have a Disco w/o all the crappy NAS stuff it's perfect IMHO. I looked for something like this as it's a perfect candidate for a Tdi. I live in TN and they are pretty open to conversions. I went front channel and it went right through emissions w/o issue. They even changed my reg to diesel. I have a deal to get B100 for $2. per gallon so diesel make sense. Granted I have to do almost all my own service work but could be worse.

As for the tires, I got them the same place RN did so I paid just about 1/2 that price. Shame they are no longer available:( I got them for the rims as the tires are just OK. I will use the tires until I have extra money to get different ones as I don't love them at all. Bad in the rain, Bad in the snow and only OK in daily use. They do look cool so I will give them that.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
...The difference with a Saudi Spec from what I can tell is really just the grill. ( mine is not mounted yet) All wire mesh and better air flow. For all intensive purposes it's just a ROW Discovery 1...

... I live in TN and they are pretty open to conversions. I went front channel and it went right through emissions w/o issue. They even changed my reg to diesel. ...

As for the tires, I got them the same place RN did so I paid just about 1/2 that price. Shame they are no longer available:( I got them for the rims as the tires are just OK. I will use the tires until I have extra money to get different ones as I don't love them at all. Bad in the rain, Bad in the snow and only OK in daily use. They do look cool so I will give them that.

Oh ok, so its the grill to be added that makes it Saudi Spec.

Where in TN do you live (I'm from TN)? I saw the plates and wondered how you got it through inspection if you live in Nashvegas or Memphis.

Regarding your tires, you can sell those for probably $200-250 each and that will pay for a brand new set of quality tires. You might call John Lee at Expedition Exchange and ask him if he knows anyone who is interested. XZLs seem to be popular out west where the roads are always dry and they wheel on sand, dirt and dry rock.

Roverx

Observer
I have only lived in TN for the last 6 years up in Hendersonville by Old Hickory Lake. Originally from Cape Cod MA.

TN was really easy with the tdi swap. I have a few friends doing this and it is not an issue here.

As for the tires. I would sell them tomorrow for $250 each :) Can't believe people want them. Probably someone who has never driven on them hahah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior