powdered pudding on granola

cruisertoy

Explorer
So I took 7 boys up a 6000' elevation gain hike here in Utah (Lone Peak 11275') this week. I always bring instant pudding pre mixed with powdered milk to use as dessert on these outings as you just add water and throw it in the creek for a few minutes. I have been trying to teach these boys the finer and cheaper points of light weight backpacking so they ate Mountainhouse, cup of noodle soups, Instant potatos and Stove Top Stuffing as they really only need water to taste good. I also bring a zip lock bag of powdered milk for use on granola. This time I forgot the powdered milk but had two bags of Banana pudding still in it's powdered form the first morning. Necesity is the mother of Invention. I can honestly say that Banana instant pudding mixed to milk consistency on Granola was GREAT! It was like slicing bananas into your granola at 10000' without using dried ones or lugging fresh ones up the mountain. I may try a few other flavors here at home before my next trip out. I have an Engel fridge for the cruiser, but i think I will still do this with the family when we go camping as well.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
That is an awsome Idea. We are going to have to try that this weekend. We took the scouts up Humphreys peak this june and we had granola and powdered milk also. It was great and the boys were totally surprised that they liked it. They still cried for there moms though.

cruisertoy

Explorer
The good thing about this trip we were on was it was a good mix of boys between 15 and 18yrs old so they were a little older than the average scouts. I wouldn't dare take 11-13yr olds up there. Lone Peak has a false summit that you come to first and then it is a 50 yd traverse accross a jagged rock edge with a 700' cliff on one side and a 1000' mixed cliff/slope tallus on the other. You traverse about 5' from the 700' cliff edge. Sweet exposure but safe enough when rules are followed. After the 3000' vertical feet in less than 3miles to the summit from our camp, we ate PBJ at the summit. The boys were complaining in camp that we were going to eat lame PBJ, but up top they thought I had served them a 5 star meal. In reality they were so tired that I could have filled the sandwiches with dirt and they still would have loved them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior