expo riders gear checklist

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Here is my list on a 3 day trip good for temps down to 32°(not including gas)...everything fits in my Moto-Sport soft bags, aftermarket fixed bike storage compartments and the 12"x27" sea bag.

Tent w/ rain fly
Tyvek tent ground cover
Inflatable mattress
Sleeping bag w/liner (variable 55°-30°)
Pillow
Chair
Waterproof sea bag for the above 12”x27”

Jet Boil-coffee press w/ coffee storage
Eating utensils
Insulated SS bottle
3 Days of food – Mountain House mostly
Snacks
Heavy duty aluminum foil
Olive oil
Spices

Convertible pants
2 shirts
Hike able flops
Swimming trunks
Towel
Basic toiletries items
Fleece vest
Maps
Ultra-light fishing kit

On an everyday basis I carry the following:
All needed repair material and spares
Tools
CD of FSM
Electric air compressor
Tube
Tire irons x2
Dish soap
1 gallon collapsible bladder(good for any liquid)
First aid
Water
Spare key
Miscellaneous survival stuff
iTouch(music, videos, and wyfi)
Camera
Flashlight
Cell phone
SPOT tracking device
Spare batteries
Rain gear
Trash bags
Miscellaneous cold weather gear
Mora Craftline all-around knife
Kel-Tec PF-9mm

Travel weights varies slightly with time of year and destination

Total weight of all above - ~50lbs

Left bag 8.5
Right bag 5.0
Tools 10.0
Food-Kitchen 5.5
Sea bag 19.0

hyperboarder

Adventurer
^ How do you carry the 9mm? I'm heading out for a 7 day trip in a week and bringing my XD45 with me, still trying to decide where to put it. I'll have at least 2 Jesse Panniers (might bring a top case too) and an Ogio tank bag on my KLR, just not sure where it would be best protected/accessible if needed.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
^ How do you carry the 9mm? I'm heading out for a 7 day trip in a week and bringing my XD45 with me, still trying to decide where to put it. I'll have at least 2 Jesse Panniers (might bring a top case too) and an Ogio tank bag on my KLR, just not sure where it would be best protected/accessible if needed.

The PF9 is a pocket carry weapon for me. I see it like riding gear does not do much good if you are not wearing it:costumed-smiley-007

Attachments

• PF9.jpg
    PF9.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 18
Pocket (low, not rib cage high) or in my tank bag is where i stick my compact .380 pistol similar to the one above.

Never needed it on a bike though. No brainer in the truck.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Comments are always the best part...

I invaded Afghanistan with half the ******* you're carrying.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"I invaded Afghanistan with half the ******* you're carrying."

mmm and the big green machine REMF's

just behind did'nt help at all I suppose !

hyperboarder

Adventurer
I'm leaning towards tank bag right now but I'm questioning local laws. I don't think I can leave it loaded, but I think I can keep a loaded mag and the pistol in the same area. Doing a loop from CO to about a mile of NM, AZ, NV, UT, and back. Don't have a cc permit. Any thoughts?

Lesson learned... NOOOO! Don't do aluminum.
IMG_0076.jpg

Talk to me. Why not aluminum? Or are you referencing metal panniers altogether? And what's the problem with using them?

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Talk to me. Why not aluminum? Or are you referencing metal panniers altogether? And what's the problem with using them?

Can't say what L.O.T was referencing in particular, but there is a school of thought that hardbags on a more dirt-oriented bike risks a lower leg injury by getting your leg caught between the hardbag and the ground or wedged between the hardbag and a big rock as you drive by. Another complaint I have heard is that, tough as they are, they may not be as impact resistant as soft luggage because they have no give to them. Not sure there is any empirical evidence of either, but definitely some logic there.

Personally, I would rather not have the weight of them on a lighter bike. I'm very happy with my Ortleib dry bags. Not sure how much a set of metal panniers weighs, but probably over 20 pounds. My Ortleibs are probably a good deal under 5 pounds. I also have a Stormcase on the tailrack for some lockable storage.

Can't say what L.O.T was referencing in particular, but there is a school of thought that hardbags on a more dirt-oriented bike risks a lower leg injury by getting your leg caught between the hardbag and the ground or wedged between the hardbag and a big rock as you drive by. Another complaint I have heard is that, tough as they are, they may not be as impact resistant as soft luggage because they have no give to them. Not sure there is any empirical evidence of either, but definitely some logic there.

Personally, I would rather not have the weight of them on a lighter bike. I'm very happy with my Ortleib dry bags. Not sure how much a set of metal panniers weighs, but probably over 20 pounds. My Ortleibs are probably a good deal under 5 pounds. I also have a Stormcase on the tailrack for some lockable storage.
Oh yes, definitely read up on that. I figured that was what he was referencing, but asked in case there is something else I am missing.

I have two 20mm Ammo Cans on the back of my bike, and I think they weigh in at 22lb ea EMPTY, but I have a big 650, so I think it's an easier fit than say on a 250.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have two 20mm Ammo Cans on the back of my bike, and I think they weigh in at 22lb ea EMPTY, but I have a big 650, so I think it's an easier fit than say on a 250.

44 pounds of box is a lot of weight. Add in 40 pounds of gear, and the bike gets heavy pretty quick. When I hit the dirt with the 800, I lose the hard bags due to the weight and the added risk to the tib/fib.

44 pounds of box is a lot of weight. Add in 40 pounds of gear, and the bike gets heavy pretty quick. When I hit the dirt with the 800, I lose the hard bags due to the weight and the added risk to the tib/fib.

I haven't taken the panniers off the bike for the FS roads, but I am much slower and kinder when out there than if I was on my dirt bike.

I am considering different boxes, but for right now these are working out well for me on my daily commute.

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Good resource, thanks man. I had looked before and it confirmed my earlier thoughts. My only concern now is very specific definitions. The plan is the carry the gun unloaded with a pair of loaded clips nearby. Legit?

Your best bet will be to contact the state police wherever it is you will he traveling. Laws change all the time and as we all know the Internet is not always populated with accurate information. If you feel the need to carry that strongly why not take the logical step and apply for a permit?

Colorado State Patrol Gun FAQ
Arizona Concealed Carry Laws
New Mexico Concealed Farry FAQ
Utah Concealed Carry FAQ
Nevada CCW recent Changes

I found all that in about 10 minutes (nevada was a pain, for some reason) using Google. Your best bet if you want to be sure is to contact an LEO for the states you are going to pass through just to be sure. Do your research thoroughly, chances are you could risk it and not get caught (criminals do it all the time), but for me it's not worth it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles