expo riders gear checklist

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The packing lists have too much stuff they don't need, and are missing a whole bunch of things they do need.

The comments have some decent info though . . .

scarysharkface

Explorer
1 tire spoon? I find it's significantly easier (more enjoyable?) to spoon a tire with 3 of them.

As for individually listing tools, I build a kit based upon what I've actually used to work on the bike. I leave the valve-adjustment stuff home but take stuff to do most anything else (which is far fewer tools/sockets than one might expect, at least for the KLR).

With regards to kitchen gear, it strikes me that they're packing more for a Jeep trip than a bike trip.

Too many flashlights, knives and I'd substitute a Camelbak and one collapsable water container for the 4 canteens.

I would also substitute a couple pairs of ExOfficio or similar travel underwear, a couple of similar T-shirts and 3 or 4 pairs of merino wool socks instead of "lots" they've listed. Rinse in the evening and usually stuff is dry by morning.

As the comments have been made, zip-tie spare clutch/throttle cables alongside the existing ones for a quick swap if needed. A small pair of vise-grips is good and I always hide a spare set of keys somewhere I can get to without needing a key...

This is just stuff off the top of my head..

Labrador is a great trip.

John

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Where are they going? - 5 gals of extra gas?
What bikes are they using? - my bike could not hold that much stuff
Too many cloths - 4 pairs of gloves????
Too much cooking stuff - they are on motorcycles yes
Hiking boots? How do they plan to secure there 250lbs of stuff when they are hiking?

They need to purchased a SPOT and add soap and a towel and dump 1/2 of the stuff listed.

They dont need half the crap they are packing.

I've done about 40,000 miles of motorcycle trips and packed most all of that.....

I've never successfully patched a motorcycle tube, therefore I bring spares based on riding partners. If they are on KLRs bring 1 spare tube each. If I am going to Mexico or in the desert, I'll bring definitely pack an extra. For example: Mexico 2009, BMW F650GS Dakar, KLR650, and my XR650l--- all 21" front tires, so 3-21" tubes. The Dakar and KLR have 17" rear wheels, so they brought 1 each 17" tube. I brought 2- 18"tubes. We had 2 front flats and 2 rear flats.:costumed-smiley-007

My unprofessional suggestions for them:
Spare clutch cable. Chain repair tools. 2-3 master links. Lighter on the clothes. 2 or 3 tire spoons.

My problem has always been packing the appropriate sleeping gear. A warm enough sleeping bag that packs down small enough is stupid expensive.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
My problem has always been packing the appropriate sleeping gear. A warm enough sleeping bag that packs down small enough is stupid expensive.

I bought a Lafuma bag from REI for <$60. It's good (tested) to 40 degrees and packs to smaller than a loaf of bread. I've used it under 30 degrees combined with a poncho liner inside the bag and was plenty warm.

Edited to add: I looked for a long time at snugpaks. I like what I see and was just about to buy one for a bit over $100 when I saw the Lafuma on closeout (extra tall size was on closeout- I'm 6'3"/210, and have always dealt with too short bags)

I bought a Lafuma bag from REI for <$60. It's good (tested) to 40 degrees and packs to smaller than a loaf of bread. I've used it under 30 degrees combined with a poncho liner inside the bag and was plenty warm.

Edited to add: I looked for a long time at snugpaks. I like what I see and was just about to buy one for a bit over $100 when I saw the Lafuma on closeout (extra tall size was on closeout- I'm 6'3"/210, and have always dealt with too short bags)

I do have a coleman 32* bag, packs down that small. But, these guys are going up north right????

scarysharkface

Explorer
I do have a coleman 32* bag, packs down that small. But, these guys are going up north right????

I did Labrador in June a couple of years ago, and there was snow on the ground. I think the answer is a light 40-degree bag (because some nights it may be quite warm) with the ability to layer as-needed.

John

billy bee

Adventurer
This is hte best mc camping checklist I've ever found. Completely customizable. http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

The best advice I got was to unpack everything after a trip and make two piles: one of the stuff you used and one of the stuff you didn't. Easy to eliminate extra stuff for the next trip. But I had to over pack for the first big trip. Learned to pack more economically for the second.

lastly, I recommend this book. It really simplifies the sport: http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-lightweight-touring-book.html

bb

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I find using a liner and layering to be the answer for handling a wide variety of temperatures.

I agree. I usually carry a 45* liner (packs into almost nothing) in addition to what ever sleeping bag I plan on taking. I rarely use it, except when the 'real sleeping bag' I brought turns out to be on the warm side -- then I use the liner as a stand alone bag. Extra socks/shirts/etc to tweak comfort as needed (usually it's not).

FWIW, I do the same when backpacking . . . and that is actually a good way to approach moto-camping. Pack just like you would for a backpacking trip.

The best advice I got was to unpack everything after a trip and make two piles: one of the stuff you used and one of the stuff you didn't. Easy to eliminate extra stuff for the next trip. But I had to over pack for the first big trip. Learned to pack more economically for the second.

This is also good advice. I would never take a long trip without doing a 2 or 3 day CAMPING shake down run first. Best to do within 4 weeks of said trip.
A) it helps you figure out your packing system.
B) Helps eliminate things you wont need. "Oh those heavy wool socks wont be necessary in arkansas in July........." "Dang those mosquitoes sure were ferocious! I better bring 100% deet and treat my tent with repellent too!" "Oh look, there is a hole in my tent"
C) Helps you get ready for those long trips!

That being said. I've only gone on one trip where I planned it out for months. Over packed. My best and longest trips have been organized and taken within 2 or 3 weeks. I am going to Colorado on the 17th, I just asked my boss yesterday if I could take off that week. I've got an idea of what I want to do... and will have NO time to prep for it.:sombrero: Of course its a 4x4 trip so... no worries.

I agree. I usually carry a 45* liner (packs into almost nothing) in addition to what ever sleeping bag I plan on taking.

FWIW, I do the same when backpacking . . . and that is actually a good way to approach moto-camping. Pack just like you would for a backpacking trip.

I agree with you too. I finally learned to pack a liner too.

Backpacking set ups should be used, in my utmost opinion. With the additional space and weight of moto gear and tools, our kits get heavy. On my very first trip, my kit weighed in around 70lbs. I have since cut that down to less than 40lbs for spring/fall trips and less than 50lbs 2+week trip or winter (south) trips. Screw camping in the summer down here. I'll hotel it.

Maybe I'll post my packing list later.... but photos speak loudly.

9031_541297538851_62002887_31871871_7376826_n.jpg

9031_541382673241_62002887_31875365_4056436_n.jpg

Mexico.
In saddle bags I had, tubes, air compressor, tool kit, spare clutch cable, rain jacket, 1 nights food, 1.5 night water, stove, emergency blanket (real one), first aid kit.
In camel back: water, granola bars, patch kit, batteries, spare camera, bandana, chapstick, maps, small tripod.
Tank Bag: batteries, video camera, memory cards, MiniDV tapes, maps, candy, chapstick. Front fender bag: front tube, 2 tire irons, CO2 air.

I dont remember what I had, but this is a good packing setup. The alpha bag is somewhere in South America right now on the adventure I couldnt take...
SundayJan15Dirtloop015.jpg

Having the Vstrom was like a blur... 11k in commuting in less than a year.........
Did do a couple 2000 mile trips... here is one from a LOOOOONG weekend in Arkansas with my brother who met me for a couple days (drove up).
IMG_0026.jpg

Same basic setup as with the KLR above.
The DRZ had tent, sleeping bag, and just some clothes.
My bike unloaded and out of its element... Credit to rider, I kept up with,fell fewer times, and needed help over the same obstacles as the KLR and XRL I stupidly followed...
IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Louisiana to Kentucky on an XRL.... can anyone say "Monkey Butt"
Did Deal's Gap too....
DealsGap2.jpg

DealsGap5.jpg

Drug saddle bags in a good left hand up hill switchback with TKC 80s.

Mexico on XR650L
IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

P1010432.jpg

OK packed F650GS Dakar
P1010492.jpg

Well packed KLR650. Everything he had was top of the line back packing light weight junk.

Lesson learned... NOOOO! Don't do aluminum.
IMG_0076.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online