Which is better for expedition camper U1300L or U1000L?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Sounds more than fair is everything is in good condition, it certainly has everything you would want in a Mog.

Check for rust, but since all the body parts are either repairable or available through MB I would not worry to much about it.

Try to get some history on it - not many people modify a Mog to that extent - there must be a reason for it.

U1550 is the last of the "small" SBU's - it should be very similar to my U1250 but with the 150hp motor and it's the 3.7m wheelbase, so you gain an extra 1/2m of cabin space and 1.5 tons more load capacity.

dzzz

What's the weight and GVWR?
I would want to know the rpms at 60 mph.

I remember a 2450 L38 selling in the $50-60K price range a couple years ago. That's a bigger truck, but it may not have been as well optioned. I like the 2450 L38 as a camper platform.

3700mm is a long wheelbase for a mog, but a short one for a camper platform - 14' to 15' foot box with a design that carries all the weight forward.

Can anyone tell me the main difference between a U1300L and a U1550L? Is the U1550L just a beefier version of the U1300L or are there significant differences between the two models?

I've seen a U1550L for sale in Europe, details are as follows:

-Long wheelbase 3,7m
-Gearbox UG 3/65
-OM366A engine, turbo, power increased to 230hp
-Hydraulic PTO front
-New tires 405/70R20
-Split gearbox
-Fast axles
-Top speed 120kph
-Very good condition
-Year of production: 1993
-Mileage: 125.000km

Looks like a very nice, clean unit. Cost including shipping to Canada, duties, etc. would be around $57,000 CDN.

Is this a fair price for this model?

Many thanks

polvoson

I'm selling my 1300L in Port Coquitlam
If you would like to go for a drive let me know.its has fast axles, OM 366A and XM 47s.
It will do 98 on the hiway and crawl over anything you throw at it.
I PM ed you with my personal info.
Paul

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Pulled the Trigger!

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a Unimog! I'm going to purchase the U1550L from Germany. It's a 1993 and has a OM366A engine, turbo, 230hp, 3.7m wheelbase, hydraulic PTO on front, split gearbox, fast axels and dual diesel tanks.

I'd like to thank everyone for all of the feedback, advice and support that was offered to me during the selection process. It really was a great help and much appreciated. I'll be sure to post some photos of the camper build as and when it gets underway.

Many thanks

999750908_sT5ie-M.jpg

999751058_4fhL7-M.jpg

999751192_cJSNj-M.jpg

999751821_VRCVZ-M.jpg

999751746_C7oYF-M.jpg

999752370_65acJ-M.jpg

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Congratulations! Looks like are very nice base for your camper.

Any idea about the history of your Mog? Hours? Millage? is it TUEV conform in Germany? Reason I'm asking about TUEV, is that it means the trucks is 100% roadworthy.

May have to come over from Victoria one day and pay you a visit. :smiley_drive:

Cheers

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Well, I'm still looking into options for constructing the camper box, either locally or in Germany. Depending on which option I go with, the Mog may be residing in Germany for another 6 months or so. However, as soon as I get it back to Langley I'll let you know and would welcome any visits from fellow Moggers.

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
I would highly recommend that you contact Peter or Rainer at Archemobil.
http://www.archemobil.de/de/aktuell.html#c45 They both are former co-workers of mine at Unicat. I truly believe that this company is one to watch for in the future!!!

Cheers,
Andreas

Looks like very nice products. However if they are in the same price range as Unicat then I'll have to give them a miss. I also couldn't find an English option on their website so was not able to read any of their information.

Tmax

congrats. looks like a very nice clean mog.

on a side note, the om366A are only rated up to 155 hp with factory specs.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Just came across this old but good thread :) What was the outcome? Are you on the road enjoying your Unimog?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94