In search of the perfect can opener.

DrMoab

Explorer
So walking through Wal-Mart tonight my wife and I had a lively discussion on the benefit of a good can opener. She seems to get along fine with the .99 cent specials that, well...seem to need replacing after every trip. I showed her a can opener that cost the ungodly amount of $7.95 and she shuttered at spending the money. I tried to explain to her that no proper overlander should be without a can opener that cost at least $11.95 but she wasn't having any of it.

I'm hoping in this thread you geniuses of overland cooking perfection can not only help my wife understand the finer art of a great can opener but also recommend a great one for camping.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

So walking through Wal-Mart tonight my wife and I had a lively discussion on the benefit of a good can opener. She seems to get along fine with the .99 cent specials that, well...seem to need replacing after every trip. I showed her a can opener that cost the ungodly amount of $7.95 and she shuttered at spending the money. I tried to explain to her that no proper overlander should be without a can opener that cost at least $11.95 but she wasn't having any of it.

I'm hoping in this thread you geniuses of overland cooking perfection can not only help my wife understand the finer art of a great can opener but also recommend a great one for camping.

Your Wife is Very Wise!

Shuuuuu!....:ylsmoke:

DrMoab

Explorer
I can't say that I agree.

We have replaced at least eight or nine of the $.99 jobs. That brings the price pretty close to that golden $11.95 super douper overlander can opener that is so elusive.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

OMG!

I hope she is not reading this.....or you are in Big Trouble!:sombrero:

All of my soup cans come with a pop top! Problem solved.

User_Name

Adventurer
Maybe it's not the cost of the can openers that is causing you too replace them but the fact that you are shopping at Walmart

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
How about the opener on many multi-tools?

Or, how about one of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Safety-Lifter-Black/dp/B000I7GST2/ref=pd_sim_k_13"]those [/ame]that separates the lids from the cans leaving no sharp edges?

taugust

Adventurer
The only manual can opener worth anything (IMHO) is the original Swing-Away. We use them camping and in the home. They are American made and last forever, if you don't lose them. They are getting harder to find locally with all the Chinese knockoffs. Search online, or look in hardware stores. The large grocery/big box discount only carry Chinese. I know, because I tried to replace one I had since the late 80's that I lost. A great piece of kit.

DrMoab

Explorer
Maybe it's not the cost of the can openers that is causing you too replace them but the fact that you are shopping at Walmart

We were not shopping at Wal-Mart for can openers. We just happened to be there and see the ones that they had.

dms1

Explorer
I use [ame="http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Touchables-Can-Opener-87000/dp/B003AP3SHO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1280991263&sr=1-8"]this[/ame] can opener at home and camping - my wife likes it too. It also has a bottle opener.

41urakKXjFL._SS500_.jpg

paulj

Expedition Leader
My camping can opener is a P38, with the opener on my Swiss Army knife as backup. At home I use a Kohn Rikon that splits the seam, and cost about $8 at TJMaxx.

jcbrandon

Explorer
...I tried to explain to her that no proper overlander should be without a can opener that cost at least $11.95 but she wasn't having any of it...

I've designed my own can opener, and am currently interviewing local fabrication shops to find one qualified to make it. I want an individual artisan, self-taught, who has personally driven the length of the Americas, so that he (or she) will know what makes a superior can opener.

Also, I'm having trouble sourcing the titanium.

When we get the first unit made, I will begin designing a carbon fiber mount to attach it to a roof rack.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I just had an epiphany.
My wife and I had an old Echo can opener when we got married. I had already been using it for years at that point. It finally gave up somewhere around our 25th anniversary. We have been through at least a dozen can openers since then, everything from the $0.99 type to the $12 type. They never seem to last more than a few months.

Here's the epiphany part;
I'm going to hit a couple of thrift stores and see if I can find another old school Echo can opener. If I find one in fairly decent shape it should last the rest of my life.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
What do you do to a can opener that makes it bust so easily? I'm 23 now and bought a can opener in the $5-$10 range when I was 17 and moved out of my parents house and it is still in perfect working condition and it isn't even a particularly heavy duty unit. Its even survived camping trips and dutch oven contests.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
The only manual can opener worth anything (IMHO) is the original Swing-Away. We use them camping and in the home. They are American made and last forever, if you don't lose them. They are getting harder to find locally with all the Chinese knockoffs. Search online, or look in hardware stores. The large grocery/big box discount only carry Chinese. I know, because I tried to replace one I had since the late 80's that I lost. A great piece of kit.

+1 on the Swing-Aways. The OXO are very good too.

brained

Adventurer
Pampered Chef Smooth-Edge Can Opener

Cuts differently than most. Cut edge is not sharp and you can put the lid back on the can after opening. Won't camp without it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94