In search of the perfect can opener.

Radio

Observer
I use the one on my swiss army knife. Thousand of cans later, still going strong. I can usually out open any one with a fancy can opening tool. AND... it has never failed. Good engineering never goes out of style. Besides, its always in my pocket!

geojag

The can opener on a swiss army knife will last forever, if it gets dull sharpen it. Use it a couple times and you will be able to open a can in no time at all.

Bob95065

Mo' bettah:

p38p51.jpg

From here: http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml

That is what I use too. Simple, small, light, easy to store and they'll outlive me.

That link has the Shelbys which are the good ones. No cheap knock-offs there.

TwinStick

Explorer
Yes sir, P51 will outlast us all. So will the P38 but it is small. P51 works soooo much better/faster. Mine have been in use since 1981. No failures. And, you can get 100 of them for $40. Put some everywhere. Give to friends. etc....

Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
A P38 can opener is great and a fine backup or backpacking but if you're carrying a whole chuck box might as well bring something that is quicker and more effective.
I love the side cut can openers that don't leave sharp edges. It also allows you to clean out the can and use it as an extra impromptu storage container.

Junkinduck

Observer
Well I have been on the can opener quest fo a while. My swing-a-way wore out so I replaced it with the same, or so I thought. It was the china made. Seems that swing-a-way went there. So one day while lookin for something that would open a can other than my Swiss army knife I stumbled upon this: http://www.sierravalleytrading.com/Can-Opener--EZ-DUZ-IT--Model-89-_p_1555.html
The ez-duz-it is the old USA swing-a-way. Amazon has them as well and so far they are simple and work great. Just like the old swing-a-way. Bought one for the house and one for the camper. They will also rebuild the old USA swing a away openers.

These are now at our local Wal Mart. USA made and all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles