The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That's lots of snow, I can see that it would add considerable load/sag to a FWC roof. Since I also like to camp in cooler weather, I better plan for snow removal as well. Thanks for sharing.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader

For how light and compact you like to keep everything, after looking around for various options, I agree that this would probably be your best option. You could store it up and under the overhang like you have the other things stored if you have enough room. Or keep it inside to keep the sliding mechanism clean and free of debris which is the only downside I see to this type of ladder

gsanders

Observer
What about attaching mast steps or other flip down steps around the perimeter of the camper? FWC markets them as their flip down wall steps. That is my plan that will probably happen this summer. The steps are out of the way unless needed. If you spaced them apart a few feet you could easily stand with your feet on them to brush off snow. Also, they can be used as hooks to hang items to dry outside and you can string up clothesline between them.

rotti

Adventurer
Last edited:

Freebird

Adventurer
Removable light weight step:
I haven't seen one in years, but someone used to make a single step that had curves that looped over the tire in a hook shape. The ones I saw the "hooks" were tubing- you could home make out of pipe aluminum. If there is room behind both front and rear tires the two looping over the tire pipes (big upside down hooks) can come togather in the middle behind the tire after a 90 degree bend on each of the two hooks to meet horizontally (lower better-as space allows on the most restrictive of the four tires). The front/step braces against the tire (depending on width of step/platform, might need additional width to span over wheel on tire). You'd probably want to make this step a small platform with room for both feet.
This one step could be used consecutively on each of the four tires to access and clean the snow off the top/roof with a long handled tool.
Your being tall would help this idea work.

If you are camping in snow country when snow might fall, a T brace of the roof on the inside to share the load might be a good preventive measure. Obviously you don't want to "spring" your roof to a permanent concave structure. Wet snow can weigh a LOT!.... As you well know from this experience!

Great thread! I just found it and read it all in the last few days.

If my above description is lacking, pm me and I'll call you and try to explain better in person.

Not as versatile as a ladder, but small and light, and would allow 4 point access to the top.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I really like this tire step idea, Amazon sells a few, $39.00 for one similar to the above link. Looks like these will fold pretty flat for travel, and even when it snows covered tires stay (mostly) dry.

On my wish list.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks for all the info.

I have not had a chance to look over all the links, but I should be able to once things slow down in the next couple days.

Thanks again guys!

camper101

Observer
Snow hoe looks interesting. I was going to suggest a snow rake (which just has a longer reach because it's designed for houses). I used to carry a snow rake around but we recently realized it's missing a piece so it wouldn't have done any good.

Your story is making me reconsider going without... although I do have a speaker crank.

If you have a hatch without the Fantastic Fan installed, you can pop off the screen and get your head and an arm out to push some snow around with your plain-old windshield scraper. You won't clear the whole roof but you can probably get rid of some weight.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
A good way to remove snow from the roof is with a Sno Brum or Sno Maxx. No chance of damaging the roof.

Best place to buy seems to be ebay.

fvx712540731008w1.ashx

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I got one of these from Camping World to adjust the tilt on my solar panel and to push off snow if I had to with the top of my Grandby popped up. The ladder folds down to about a 4 inch square and just over six feet long and stores perfectly behind my roll over couch.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/6-compact-folding-step-ladder/20318

Fantastic! An aluminum "stick" ladder! (Get it, fanta-stick. ha ha. Sorry, I need to go to bed before I digress any further.)

That is just what I have been looking for, and could not find.

THANK YOU! What a great first post.....

Overland Hadley

on a journey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles