The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

chvy39z

Observer
Probably a hook or similar piece of metal on each side of the frame in the rear.There were 3 bolt holes on each side of the frame that secured the hitch.There were also 2 bolts through the back bumper. Tomorrow I will actually weigh the hitch but I am telling you it was really heavy when I unbolted it.

craig333

Expedition Leader
You just never know when you might need to tow something. Friend broke down? Good samaritan? Really need that load of cement? I can't imagine not having one. There are lighter models available if you don't need maximum weight capacity.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...

Thoughts?

I agree with you... a truck without a hitch is, well, less useful. I have trailers.
Recovery point for the rear is important, but a nice strong drag point too, as the long rear overhang of pickups means it's easy to hit/drag them, and the hitch is likely much stronger than the bumper.
I also like to think of a hitch as another crossmember.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Well in the last five years the only thing I have used the hitch for is climbing in and out of the back. Odd as I used to deal with trailers all the time. We will see what happens, but I will admit that I was crawling under the truck looking at what would come off. There is a tow bar incorporated into the rear bumper, so that might fit my emergency needs.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Installed faucet!

img1520e.jpg

img1521uw.jpg

I needed to decide on a faucet to go with the water system. I looked at shower/faucet systems, but they are made for a pressurized water system and are expensive. So in the end I decided on a simple spout, as that is all I need with a manual pressure system.

I have used these Whale extendable spouts on a couple boats, and have never had an issue with them. They are easy to keep out of the way when not needed, and can be extended to fill large pots or water bottles. They also have a nice steady flow of water.

24081.jpg

WHALE TELESCOPIC SWIVELLING FAUCET

Frosty_1

Adventurer
Nathaniel,

Great thread so far! Your attention to detail is awesome!

One question though: I never saw the definitive list of options you ordered with the Shell? Would you mind sharing? Thanks!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Options List

Nathanael,

Great thread so far! Your attention to detail is awesome!

One question though: I never saw the definitive list of options you ordered with the Shell? Would you mind sharing? Thanks!

Thanks! Some people have other terms to describe my attention to detail, I guess it depends on what I am working on.

The option list from the factory is as follows:

FWC Eagle shell

Black and Grey "German" Interior
Jacks with Aluminum Plates
Screen Door
Polar Pack
Rack Tracks-Full Length
King Slide Out Bed

The rest I am sourcing myself. :)

Last edited:

youngson

Are the Rack Tracks-Full Length for solar panels or? How much weight do you think you will be able to raise on the roof without the pnumatic lifts? I am really enjoying your build. I am saving for a Hawk shell. I also think the German interior option is very nice. I think you have the tan pop-up fabric. Do you think the interior lighting is better with the tan or grey fabric? I look forward to your flooring install.

chvy39z

Observer
Lubriplate the bolts as you put them back in either the frame or the hitch if you take it off. I use an air wrench and can have the hitch back on in a maximum of 5 minutes. My bumper is also strong enough to put a ball through one of those holes that are left from the hitch and can tow most lighter weight applications.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Are the Rack Tracks-Full Length for solar panels or? How much weight do you think you will be able to raise on the roof without the pnumatic lifts? I am really enjoying your build. I am saving for a Hawk shell. I also think the German interior option is very nice. I think you have the tan pop-up fabric. Do you think the interior lighting is better with the tan or grey fabric? I look forward to your flooring install.

Good for you on the future Hawk shell. I can now say from personal experience that it is well worth it, FWC makes a good little camper.

I got the full length tracks to facilitate carrying kayaks or a canoe. I would not want to lift the top with much extra weight, a little snow on the top and it is a real grunt to get it lifted. I am still thinking of using gas springs for the top, just going to do it a little different than most people.

I am very happy I went with the german interior. I have the normal grey pop-top fabric. They have since changed fabric and I think the new stuff lets in more light. Any light that makes it through my fabric is then blocked by the polar pack, not much of a problem with the nice windows though.

I am trying to wait with the flooring until I have more of the interior finished, but I am temped to put it in sooner rather than later.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Lubriplate the bolts as you put them back in either the frame or the hitch if you take it off. I use an air wrench and can have the hitch back on in a maximum of 5 minutes. My bumper is also strong enough to put a ball through one of those holes that are left from the hitch and can tow most lighter weight applications.

Were you able to weigh the hunk of steel you took off? If you do get a weight maybe you could post a photo of your hitch. Mine has 20 bolts holding it to the frame.

I tried to take mine off buy could not break the bolts with my simple hand tools. So I have more time to think it over.

chvy39z

Observer
It weighs 55 lbs. I am also going to install tabs on each side of the frame in a bolt hole. There are just 8 bolts holding this hitch on ,3 down each side and 2 through the bumper. If they put 20 bolts on yours they must have been thinkin about pulling stumps or something with your truck! Here is a picture of the hitch.
IMG_2685.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I decided to leave this area in the front of the cabover bare aluminum frame. So I cleaned up the wiring, putting it in a protective sleeve and running it behind the lifting panel. I like how it looks now, although condensation could become a problem and if it does I will cover the framing with something.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
It weighs 55 lbs. I am also going to install tabs on each side of the frame in a bolt hole. There are just 8 bolts holding this hitch on ,3 down each side and 2 through the bumper. If they put 20 bolts on yours they must have been thinkin about pulling stumps or something with your truck! Here is a picture of the hitch.

Thanks for the exact weight and photo. My hitch mount is a lot beefier, so I would think it also weighs a bit more.

I looked at the TorkLift steps and for the height of my camper I would need the four step. Those weigh in at 24 pounds. It would definitely be a weight savings, just not sure if it is worth loosing the hitch over.

I also like that the steps I have are independent of the ground, so uneven surfaces are not a worry with the steps. Also, I can have them out/down and still stealth camp. It would be hard to look stealthy with the TorkLift steps deployed.

Lots to consider.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke