A Trip To Nowhere and Everywhere

After another night at Frontier Town, we pulled up stakes early and hit the back roads of New York on our way to Vermont. The bridge over Lake Champlain was out, so they had a free ferry service. After about a 30 minute wait, we were loaded onto the ferry and headed into Vermont.

001.JPG

Yukon wanted out so bad. I think she was ready to jump overboard as she just can't get enough of the water.

003.JPG

We continued east on Route 17, stopped for lunch and bought a tank of diesel. We entered the Green Mountains and immediately the road steepened. We were headed for Mount Abraham. We found ourselves a nice spot to camp for the night next to a crystal clear river. Yukon was able to swim in the rapids and it was a real blast watching her flow down the river, thankfully always making it back.

008-1.JPG

As night approached, it began to rain and got heavier throughout the night. I love the sound of the rain on the roof of the camper. It always reminds of sleeping in a cabin with a metal roof.

The next morning, the forecast was for violent storms, but I decided that we'd give it a go and hike up to the summit of Mount Abraham (4,006'). We made the summit, but on the way down it began to pour again with lots of thunder, but thankfully no lightning.

010-1.JPG

Unfortunately my cell phone got drenched, so after drying out a bit, we headed into Montpelier to look for a Verizon store. Unfortunately I had to purchase a new phone as mine was fried. We stayed in Montpelier last night and are headed into New Hampshire this morning.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you have a great adventure ahead of you. Looking forward to hearing how you like living out of the Bigfoot over the long haul.

We have a 1999 Bigfoot 2500 - similar to yours just a little older. We've been out for a week at a time, but never longer than that.

The Bigfoot camper is great. I spent nearly (5) months in it (2) years ago when I drove to Alaska. I've also had several multi-month trips in it as well.

Last night we crossed over the state line into Maine and will continue northeast today. The plan is to overnight at a Wal-Mart in Bangor and hopefully find some free wi-fi. I'm currently using a Sprint system for internet service which constantly tells me that roaming charges may apply.

So, hopefully more updates tonight on our past few days of travel.

Yes on the White Mountains. I've spent many years climbing in this area and
absolutely love it.

Thanks for the comments people as sometimes you wonder who reads this other than my buddy Ed who's back in Virginia...........

Well, we didn't make it to New Hampshire that next night as planned. I stopped in St. Johnsbury, Vermont to have a look at the old part of town. It's a pretty cool town so I decided to stay there for the night, and we drove to the outskirts of town, pulled over, and that was it for the day.

The next morning we left fairly early and I was feeling quite dirty so I was on the lookout for a lake or river. Soon enough we found a beautiful lake and we pulled in and had ourselves a swim. As I was getting out of the lake (2) state troopers pulled up and one of them decided to harass me for swimming in the boat launch area. It was ridiculous since there was only one boat in the entire lake. Oh well............

002.JPG

004.JPG

We entered New Hampshire and I was on the lookout for another mountain summit. I had noticed Mt. Waumbek (4,006') on the road map, so we stopped at a country store and got directions. I parked the camper, and took the Jeep to the trail head. It was a perfect day for a hike and we made it to the summit and back in about (3) hours (7.2 miles round trip). Not much in the way of views, but a very nice hike.

007.JPG

After wards a quick stop at the Gorham, New Hampshire McDonald's for a dinner out (a real rarity for me). Then we continued on and crossed the state line into Maine where we found yet another pull out along Route 2. We spent the night next to (3) overloaded semi trucks, one of which was (180') long (I paced it !!).

010.JPG

Toady we've continued along Route 2 bound for Canada. As usual, after a day of hiking, I was feeling pretty grungy, so we stopped along a river and went swimming and basked in the sun.

012.JPG

The weather couldn't possibly be better. We're now about (40) miles east of Bangor, Maine and I'm tired of driving for the day. Day (11) of our trip will soon come to a close.

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing your trip with us! It makes me yearn for a rambling, very loosely planned trip. I'll enjoy following this!

crosbike

Good to hear you are chugging along. I was wondering how you are updating everynite? Satellite internet or a smart phone or what? just curious. Keep up the adventure.

I'm not a well informed computer person, so to tell the truth, I don't know what I have for my computer connection. I purchased it from Sprint, it plugs into the computer, hooks me up to the internet, and it cost $60 per month.

I'll check my email for sure.

So, last night we stayed in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Wal-Mart is great about that, and over the years I've stayed in their lots all over the U.S.A. And last night was a typical night. Just as the sun was setting and dusk had arrived, I heard a car door close very near to the camper. I'm parked as far away from the store as possible. I eventually peer out the window to see a young couple having a wrestling match in the back seat.:Wow1: I took Yukon out for a short walk and noticed that the boy had lost as the young girl was on top and had him pinned. He seemed to have given up.:victory: They leave shortly after seeing me this time.

Around 10:00 p.m. a mini van pulls up and out jumps a family. The husband, the wife, (2) small children, and (2) dogs. They proceed to move all of their belongings from the rear of the van to the front of the van. Then they make their bed in the back and they all pile in for a night's sleep. So sad to see the suffering that some families are going through as our economy continues to struggle.

So, this is a typical night at a Wal_mart..........I've seen it so many times.

Tomorrow morning we'll be leaving Virginia and heading north for Canada. I'm not certain how long this trip will last, nor where we'll be going. There are no deadlines, and there are no destinations.

No deadlines, no set destinations... Hmmm. Tell you what. Why don't you send me a check for $30,000, and I'll PM you where to send that as well as my cell phone number so that we can text and meet up where you happen to be? I'd be willing to be your convoy partner (bringing my Honda CR-V). The money is for support for gas, food, and appropriate gear to get me started. This should last me for three years on the road.

Contact me as soon as you can.
Stephanie

Last edited:
No checks. Sorry.

We made it to Calais, Maine and I am sitting in the Visitor's Center looking across the river at Canada. Today was an uneventful day, mostly just driving slowly along Route 9, enjoying the scenery. We'll cross the border early tomorrow morning and continue north (assuming they let us in).

nctacoma

Observer
This sounds like a great adventure.
What sort of documentation do you need to bring the dog into Canada?
I am assuming a rabies vaccine, but what else?

Lance4me

Observer
If you bring a pet dog or cat at least three months old from the United States, you must have a certificate to show that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies within the last three years. The certificate has to be dated and signed by a veterinarian, and it must identify the animal by breed, age, sex, coloring, and any distinguishing marks. Animal tags are not acceptable in place of certificates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior