Ice vs dry ice.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
For the sake of argument no fridge and camping for say 4-5 days with a good boating marine cooler or ice chest. The pros and cons of using regular ice or Dry Ice. With normal use opening and closing a few times a day,in 90 degree weather which would do better and last longer. Say a 15lb block of each same test,which would last the longest,and any draw backs. Just throwing this one out there for comments. answers do not have to be high tec and do not read anything else it to this. Someone ask me this a few days ago which would be better.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Never have used dry ice for cooler/camping. Just for mucking about with. I like to make my own blocks and keep them in sealable containers (water bottles work well) to keep the melted ice (water) useable for later.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Dry ice will last far longer, simple as that. If it wasn't as good as normal ice why would the sell it? :D

When I can't take the fridge (RelicRun) we use dry ice, in fact we had dry ice in all our coolers and a bigger chunk in a cooler with other bags of crushed ice that we could use to refill drink coolers, etc.

And what is camping without a dry ice bomb :D

4xdog

Explorer
I think dry ice wins hands down. Water ice is at 32 F (0 C), and dry ice, or solid CO2, is at -109 F (-79 C).

Desert Dan

Explorer
I have never tried dry ice but would like to try it.
Maybe have 2 ice chests; one with dry ice and things frozen solid and the other with H20 ice?

Are there any issues with off gassing CO2 inside a vehicle? I doubt it with flow thru ventilation etc.

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
Professional opinion, I was an Ice Man in San Francisco, 1974-1979, Harold's Ice Inc. Dry Ice all the way.

Did a 10 day summer camp trip in No. Calif/Nevada and still had cold supplies at the end of the trip. Used a 25# block of Dry Ice in each of 2 Coleman Ice Chests. One Chest gets packed with frozen meats and foods and is to be opened only once each day. After removing things from the frozen chest, fill the space with crumpled newspaper. Air circulation is the enemy!

The other chest had consumables, soda, beer, etc. Again, try not to open too often and fill the void with crumpled newspaper.

How long before Gore has Dry Ice outlawed?

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Dont sleep in the same area as your cooler. CO2 is the silent odorless killer.

Also dont forget, when CO2 sublimates(solid to gas) it expands and your cooler will vent and some CO2 will come out. So be careful and make sure you aren't in a sealed environment.

Oh and naturally, keep the kids and your fingers away. Instant frostbite.
-Sam

rezdiver

Adventurer
i think dry ice loses 1 pound per 24 hour period from what i was told by the retailer. so 2 pounds lasts 2 days

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Excellent, seems like I produced an interesting thread. Off gassing would not be an issue cooler would be in the back of the tundra away from occupants. I thank everyone for the comments and ideas. Just trying to plan ahead for a trip on the mojove rd and JT.

Redsrover

My experience with dry ice has been good. Too good in fact. My local grocery store has a freezer for dry ice slabs, I think 10lbs each. In a 50qt igloo cooler I put a 10lb slab of dry ice in the bottom, covered by newspaper and a bath towel. On top of that goes a 2 inch layer of wet ice, then my frozen food items and more wet ice. You can expect the frozen stuff to stay frozen for 4 - 5 days which ended up defeating the whole purpose since I had to thaw my food items for cooking while in camp.

I've gone back to wet ice only, works fine for my camping trips which only last a maximum of 4 days.

dumolebob

Observer
Love that dry ice with frozen foods, drinkable water ice with the rest! My biggest problem has been cheap coolers with little or no insulation in the lid!

I believe most coolers are intended for picnics, not several days camping.
How about these YETI coolers? Any experience with them? Costing THAT much they must be good...:wings:

http://www.yeticoolers.com/

dumolebob

Observer
I should have run a search for YETI as there was a good thread only last year.

Watch out dry ice doesn't come in direct contact with most cooler surfaces as it will crack cheap bpicnic coolers. Wrap it in newspaper,. etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94