Looking at getting a MTB-help me decide.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I've been wanting to do more MTB for a while. My 94 Trek 870 is a bit out of it's league these days so I've been looking around. The terrain around here is mostly flat and swampy, there are often ravines and drops in the woods but no real long climbs. This is a pine forest area so there are always lots of roots and stumps mixed in with cypress knees and thick brush. I guess it would be described as technical. Being in NC I will also have hilly/rocky trails via a road trip/camping weekend.

Is dual suspention or a hard tail best for this type riding? I'd like to keep it around $1,500 (or less) so any suggestions would be great.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Honestly, if I were in your shooes, I'd get a singlespeed (SS) rigid bike. I currently have a SS steel bike (Vassago Jabberwocky) and I love it. And I've got more hills and rocks than you do. I like SS due to the simplicity (not too much to break), lighter weight and the challenge. You'd be surprised what you can do on one.

Check out Redline Monocog Flight, Raleigh XXIX (although 2011 models are belt-driven--which I have my reservations about at this point), Kona Unit, Surly Karate Monkey and GT Peace.

Out of those, the Monocog Flight is probably the best bang for buck, but one thing I do not like is the sliding dropouts--some have had no problems, but other have had slipping and creaking. I like the simplicity of track ends (like on the Surly Karate Monkey). You can get all of the bikes above for less than $1000 (except I'm not sure about the Raleigh XXIX). Good thing about Surly is that any bike shop can order that in. If they quote you over $1000 for the Surly, ask them to match this:

http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=16569

If you find the rigid front fork too much, you can always add on a suspension fork afterwards. Good luck.

michaels

Explorer
sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. i'm currently building this bad boy. just waiting on brakes and pedals now and to cut the fork tube. should be done tonight. the cost was right under your budget.
39984_1426662378970_1005090050_31190741_6289966_n.jpg

go to the "29er" thread i started and you'll see all the specs with pics of each part. i haven't ridden it yet, but can't wait!

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I was going to suggest building, but I assumed the OP wanted a complete.

Looks like your bike is coming along. A pink chain??!! :D

fairweather

Observer
If you are just getting into more serious MTB you do not want a SS, it is a quiver bike. There are enough SS wannabes out there that thought they wanted a SS so you can just borrow one that isn't getting used whenever you want, no need to buy one yourself.

Best bet would be to check out craigslist for a three year old geared bike that was the ****z when it first came out. Should be able to get a 3 year bike that was originally 3-4k for 1500$

A good example would be a 2008 Gary Fisher Superfly or an 07/08/09 Rocky Mtn Element or ETS that has had the frame replaced would probably go for 1500$.

If roots are it where you are at I would go with FS.

michaels

Explorer
I was going to suggest building, but I assumed the OP wanted a complete.

Looks like your bike is coming along. A pink chain??!! :D

haha. it's RED!! although i'm man enough to rock the pink chain. just gotta set up the brakes and cut the fork tube! i'll take it on it's maiden voyage tomorrow hopefully!

Wander

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the help, I like the 29er idea and I do see mostly FS around here so I guess that's the best set up for this area. Sure will beat a rigid 16 yr old Trek!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If you are just getting into more serious MTB you do not want a SS, it is a quiver bike.
Not in my little mountain bike town. I can think of at least 25-30 guys I ride with on a regular basis that have a SS as their full time, every day rig. All of my geared and geared FS bikes gathered dust for years before I cut them loose. I also have a hard time seeing my $3500 custom Spot as just a "when the mood hits" bike. I use it for everything from daily romps to 24 hour solo racing and even bikepacking.

Not saying it's for everyone. :bike_rider:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks for the help, I like the 29er idea and I do see mostly FS around here so I guess that's the best set up for this area. Sure will beat a rigid 16 yr old Trek!

That's because people automatically think FS is the best bike for any kind of terrain and riding style. (even the homeless) If you're taking up lifts and bombing downhill, then maybe a FS is the best bike. But from what you're describing, even a rigid SS bike would do. I'm actually from NC (hence my screen name) and know what the terrain is like through most of the state. A hardtail is what I'd recommend. And if you can sack up, a singlespeed. :D

Wander

Expedition Leader
Never tried a SS, sounds fun. I've built fixies and spent some time on the track so I get the one gear thing. Having a freewheel and brakes would be a bonus.

I'll have to check the spacing of the drop outs but building my trek as a SS might work-and save some $$. The steel frame is nice and comfy and stripping off the drivetrain would make it pretty light. I could add a fork but not disc's (well not easily). Hmmm, this has me thinking.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Good plan! I actually just bought a 1993 Specialized Rockhopper to turn into a singlespeed.

There are a few ways to tension the chain. Most expensive is an ENO rear hub or Forward Components EBB. Next is a dérailleur type tensioner, but I think they look ugly. The cheapest way is to find the magic gear ratio.

http://www.eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php

As far as brakes, I'm keeping the cantilever brakes on the Rockhopper, but maybe later on might go v brakes. Rim brakes work just fine.

You'll need a chainring (I prefer Surly), rear cog (again, Surly), and spacers for your hub. I went cheap and used a 1.5" PVC pipe. It must be cut with a table saw as it has to perfectly straight.

For tires, you'll eventually want a bigger volume tire up front, especially if running rigid. Fortunately, my Rockhopper will take 2.3" no problem and maybe even 2.5". But that can wait until you decide if SS is for you or not.

Good luck with your modification. Post up any questions you've got.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior