Tent heaters. What do you use?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I use my 'Big Buddy' heater. I have a 20' hose I run from a 20# tank outside the tent.

It has a small built in fan (runs on 4 'D' cells) and a low oxygen cutoff.

I never run it all night, even in below freezing weather. I'm to afraid of a blanket or stuffed animal getting accidently tossed in front of it while we're sleeping.

If someone needs to get up, I can reach over and fire it up, takes just seconds to a minute or two depending on temp, to warm up the tent.

It has a Piezo igniter, and a standing pilot light position.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Lots of information on the site regarding heaters. I'm sure a search will pull up the threads.

Please note that a low oxygen sensor is not a CO detector. You can be dead a long time before that shuts off the heater.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I use a buddy heater and love it for small portable but last trip with the kids etc.. and our first longer one with our 18 month old
decided Martyn is going to be getting a call when I get some funds set aside for a new heater for our rig :)

I would say check out the adv trailer setup or the buddy heater on cheap does OK but decided the buddy heater is not keeping up with our family
and cold mornings dad has to get out start it up to get things warm for the wife and kids ;)
dad wants a thermostat and to sleep in longer

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Body friction.:sombrero:

JK

Good sleeping bags, nothing beats down. We use the Adam and Eve bags from Cabellas.

A small propane heater like the Buddy or Coleman Black Cat to heat the tent up in the morning while you get dressed is good too.

In general the smaller the tent the warmer you will sleep.

coastie kyle

Observer
Great info, thank you guys. So it seems the heater is only for use in short burst's, not for sleeping all night. I didnt know this because I never worried about a heater before when I was alone or with friends because we just had a big *** fire and individual tents and bags. But the girl is a little more sinsitive to cold and now I have a RTT. So things change. BUT at least she loves camping with me!

Honu

lost on the mainland
thats how we use ours in short bursts

but the problem comes when nights are cooler our little guy does not want to stay covered
our 6 year old needs to get up for potty etc..

so at least for us the idea of our trailer is to bring some comfort with us so a propane heater like AT offers or used on boats etc.. will be on my short list
this way I can keep the bite off of the real cold

XJCamper

SE Expedition Society
Little Buddy Heater in Burts when someone wakes up to cold. We heat up the tent before leaving the fire and goingto bed. Once the kids are out turn it off and pull up the bag. go to the local Military surplus place and buy a down military bag. You will never be cold again.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
just a question for yall. I go camping at 9800+ ft elevations and my LPG tent heater wont stay lit. do i have an alternate heater option for camping at this altitude?

Patman

Explorer
Wife, 2 year old daughter, 2 100+lb wolf/huskie hybrids, and an american bull pup!

Ok, just when camping in the back yard. Simple coleman for warming up the tent in the am while getting dressed on the trail.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
just a question for yall. I go camping at 9800+ ft elevations and my LPG tent heater wont stay lit. do i have an alternate heater option for camping at this altitude?

I always use LPG for stove fuel, and my stoves work great all the way up to 14k.

Is there a low O2 sensor on your heater? The O2 at high altitudes is probably just low enough to kick the heater off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles