I joined the Cult

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Nice trailer,sounds like a few things to do to it,are your pictures from Cajon Pass?

Man, you have a good eye! The seller met me at the Cleghorn offramp.

The few things that I want to do won't stop me from using it right away. :bike_rider:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Congratz on a sweet trailer

Brake controller

Wiring Harness

I'm guessing your trailer axle drums can be gotten in a 6 on 5.5 "lug centric" pattern, so, in order to match your T4R, which I'm also guessing has "hub centric" rims...that means you will have to convert your new "lug centric" to "hub centric" so you'll need Spidertrax

good luck, Pat

p.s. what is the rack on the T4R if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the info and the tip in the Spidertrax! I need to call some of the trailer supply places to order the new drums. I think I found a deal on four of the OEM 4Runner rims with decent tires

The rack is an African Outback that Slee recently had on sale. Install thread is here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40925

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Smksignals, we share a city near the riff-raff in HB.

And Jim, I'd like to see it too!

I recommend a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. Ours has worked very well for our big ole camping trailer for 7 years now.

Do you need a shakedown trip to the Inyos? I think you do.

Riff-Raff? Riff RAFF?? Sir, I resemble that remark...

When I first saw Smokesignals' trailer he had to hose off my drool. We can PM phone numbers to set up a time.

Shakedown to the Inyos would be very interesting!

TitanPat57 also recommended that controller and even noted the harness to use for my Toyota.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Sweet Jim. Where's the first test run???

Hey, I always liked the Conquerer that you had! The timing was off for me to buy one because I had no space to spare back then. With my big Bronco now sold I was ready to try out a trailer.

Kevin was hinting at another Inyos campout. The spot in mind is in all of my Salt Tram reports and is at almost 9000 feet. It will be 15 to 20 degrees cooler than temps in Lone Pine.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
If those wheels are 5 on 4.5 and they are 17 inch wheels I may be interested in buying them from you.

Those are the exact same wheels I have on my Jeep and I really want to put a matching set on my trailer.

Wouldn't shipping to you be enormously expensive? I am in Southern California

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Yes, definitely. I would still like to see the Brown Monster and then head up the Swansea Grade. Let's talk dates!

Hmm. I'd be interested too. First week of Sept is out (Yosemite!), but relatively open after that, depending on kids school work load.

Regarding Spidertrax, you might find it preferable just replace the entire hub assembly. It costs about the same and keeps the tires within the wheelwells. Check out e-trailer.com for the hubs, controllers, and a whole lotta other stuff.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Congratulations, and welcome to the other side ...

Looks like a nice trailer. How was it towing behind your 4Runner?

It towed really well and I hardly knew it was there. I mainly stayed at 55MPH on the freeway. The Lock n Roll hitch was really quiet. When I pull the trailer I won't need to have the AO Rack on at the same time so it will help with gas mileage.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Hmm. I'd be interested too. First week of Sept is out (Yosemite!), but relatively open after that, depending on kids school work load.

Regarding Spidertrax, you might find it preferable just replace the entire hub assembly. It costs about the same and keeps the tires within the wheelwells. Check out e-trailer.com for the hubs, controllers, and a whole lotta other stuff.

I plan to call the place over in Mira Loma where the axle was ordered. I should be able to get new Dexter parts through them too. I just don't know enough to say that their hubs are compatible with Toyota rims without the Spidertrax spacers. I'll be glad to be helped by someone more knowledgeable.

DrMoab

Explorer
Wouldn't shipping to you be enormously expensive? I am in Southern California
I've got friends everywhere and I'm not in a hurry. If the price wa right I'm sure we can work something out. I'll get with you back channel later on if you are interested. I won't be redoing my trailer till this winter so I'm in no hurry.

kjp1969

Explorer

I'm out of pocket the first two weekends, but I'm liking late September or early October. :sombrero:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
It towed really well and I hardly knew it was there. I mainly stayed at 55MPH on the freeway. The Lock n Roll hitch was really quiet. When I pull the trailer I won't need to have the AO Rack on at the same time so it will help with gas mileage.

I agree, the Lock n Roll hitch is very quiet. We use locking hitch pins with ours, on both the FJ and the trailer. I have not pulled it with regular hitch pins, so truthfully I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but it's much quieter than any other trailer I've pulled.

It will be nice to be able to pull the roof rack off if that's easy to do. So far it looks like towing the Horizon costs me at least 3 mpg at freeway speeds, but I'm guessing your trailer may be lighter than a Horizon (base weight = 1100# + options).

And +2 or +3 on the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. It's been working well for me so far and it was a pretty easy install. The biggest challenge was finding a good location to mount it since it needs to be somewhat level. I think the spec was +/- 70 degrees, but you need to take steep descents into account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne