I joined the Cult

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Jim,
If you put the AT can-holder in that position, will there be enough room to get the fuel can out? Or will it be trapped between the fender, can holder and trailer over-hang?

Just to revive an old but relevant question.... I am hung up on the mounting not because of getting the can in and out but because the retaining strap needs a lot of room to remove. I plan to play with it some more this weekend.
scepterholder.jpg

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
The garage floor home machine shop. No vanilla wafers this time.

That's turning out quite nice! Everything is looking real clean and professional, but how can you manage do do all that without vanilla wafers? I thought they were essential to the process...

teotwaki

Excelsior!
That's turning out quite nice! Everything is looking real clean and professional, but how can you manage do do all that without vanilla wafers? I thought they were essential to the process...

:sombrero: It was late and it was dark and I just know that the mountain lions would come and eat my vanilla wafers.....

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I had a quick 15 minutes that I could steal to finish one small thing for the nose box: an insulating cover for the batteries and their cables.

Before

After, with a simple 1/4" thick sheet of plastic held by two wing nuts on the threaded rods that the battery hold down bar is on.

I want to keep chipping away at the backlog although none of these would stop me from offroading:

1. solar panel bulkhead connector
  2. awning adapter plates
  3. swap in the stock Jeep YJ springs to lower the height (if possible). Need some bushings
  4. 5 Gallon gas can mounts
  5. antenna mast mount
  6. 2-way radio mount
  7. shorten the inverter's power cables
  8. connect the inverter's 150 A thermal breaker
  9. whatever else I forgot...

Last edited:

kjp1969

Explorer
Looks great Jim!
Could you attach a small action packer or similar plastic bin to the top of that plastic insulating cover? sized correctly, it would be snug to the lid of the nose box and would need no lid of its own, but still give you some additional storage without interfering with the electrics.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Looks great Jim!
Could you attach a small action packer or similar plastic bin to the top of that plastic insulating cover? sized correctly, it would be snug to the lid of the nose box and would need no lid of its own, but still give you some additional storage without interfering with the electrics.

I've been thinking a canvas bag to store trailer stuff like the wheel chocks, locks and so on. I need to make sure that whatever I do it won't bang into the electrical panel and chafe against or loosen things.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I had a request from for a schematic of the nose box so here is the first version. Please let me know if there are questions, omissions or mistakes!

EDIT: updated to Ver 1.1 today to correct grounding of inverter

Attachments

• trailer_schematic.pdf
    26 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Finally decided on an approach for the mounting of the awning to the adjustable height brackets. I had to drill one hole in the Fiamma for a bolt and the other two bolts went into the existing captive slot. I used some 2" by 1/8" flat aluminum but wish it was 1/4" thick. If I can find some I'll replace the current ones.

night time shots of the awning deployed. The driveway is sloped so the awning is also sloped where the support poles are.

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Whats the clear hgt under the awning?

I think that at full extension the awning legs are 6'4" and I set the trailer brackets higher to get some downslope. Let me grab some measurements for you later today if I take some daylight pictures.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Progress on the bucket list of non-critical mods.:

1. solar panel bulkhead connector awaiting installation
  2. awning adapter plates DONE!
  3. swap in the stock Jeep YJ springs to lower the height (if possible). May need some poly bushings
  4. 5 Gallon gas can mounts (decided it will require someone welding a base frame for me)
  5. 15 ft telescoping antenna mast mount DONE! Looks great. Will grab pictures in Death Valley this weekend.
  6. 2-way radio mount (radio tested and cabled for install)
  7. shorten the inverter's power cables or install as-is
  8. connect the inverter's 150 A thermal breaker
  9. spare tire mount?
  10. lid locks
  11. whatever else I forgot...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles