Using shackles made in China?

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Van Beest

I ordered (2) 3/4 Van Beest shackles from Master-Pull, and I couldn't be happier. Van Beest makes an awesome product. I work around cranes, and there is a lot of Crosby being used, but Master-Pull offered me a deal I couldn't refuse........

java

Expedition Leader
my local boat rigging/supply place has CM's for dirt cheap. might be some place for others to look. mine were 6$ each iirc, they are stamped and everything.

dzzz

I picked up these 4x 10T WWL and I'm satisfied with the price for the size. I'll probably get a single 20T too, although I find it hard to conceive of breaking 1" shackles in any extraction. Sticking with American or European seems to be the way to go.

I don't like how some of the offroad vendors advertise shackles by average breaking strength. I suggest not buying from companies that do that.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
LOL You planning on recovering these?
vehicle_1.jpg

Another really excellent brand is PEWAG - made in Europe I believe. I personally would NEVER trust Chinese rigging components because you'll never know if they are good enough until you put them to the test - then BANG!! Poor rigging WILL KILL you and/or standbyers if it lets go. This is one area where you can't use too good a quality components for the job.

Good Luck w/your search.

KaiserM715

Adventurer
I bought some of the Warn shackles w/ a 7/8 pin (4-3/4 WLL) this week via the internet and they are made in China, too. Wish I had found this thread earlier.

chp-sk8

Adventurer
Spend the extra $$$

recovery gear falures are usually catistrophic, and release an amazing amout of energy when things go south. Substandard alloy's should be left on mall-crawlers and riding lawn mowers. my 2c.

fishEH

Explorer
I picked up these 4x 10T WWL and I'm satisfied with the price for the size. I'll probably get a single 20T too, although I find it hard to conceive of breaking 1" shackles in any extraction. Sticking with American or European seems to be the way to go.

I don't like how some of the offroad vendors advertise shackles by average breaking strength. I suggest not buying from companies that do that.

Holy Crap! You spent $200 on four shackles. Can I ask "WHY"? What are you driving and what are you recovering?
I just spent $32 for four 7T WLL shackles on ebay from a reputable seller on this board. Couldn't be happier.

AFSOC

Explorer
I had purchased some Warn shackles, saw that they were made in China and sent them back. I bought the same size CM units for a lower price than the Warns at usariggingsupply.com The Warns were rated for 4-3/4 tons and the CMs for 6-1/2 tons.
http://www.usariggingsupply.com/product/M652G

Not at all surprising. I am sure there are many acceptable shackles out there and I am sure it is well within Chinese manufactures capabilities to make a shackle you can count on but how can you really tell. Crosby and CM are not prohibitively expensive, pretty cheap insurance in my book. Heck, I only carry two anyway.

alexrex20

Explorer
Chinese are more than capable of producing a quality component. They build these shackles to American spec from American engineers, just with cheaper labor and cheaper overhead. I have a set of 3/4in shackles (WLL 7T) that are made in China. I paid $40 for a set of 5 on eBay, and though they are not galvanized or powdercoated or anything, they have held up to some hardcore pulls. And by hardcore, I mean full slack on a 30ft snatch strap, then full throttle in 4LO in my 3/4ton Duramax.

The strap will almost always break first, so as long as you're not using a shackle where you shouldn't be (to join two straps, for example), then I wouldn't get so bent out of shape if your shackle is stamped "China."

opie

Explorer
Made in the USA from materials made in the USA....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C8ZWRpUNPU"]YouTube - Amsteel Blue Rope Shackle operation[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke