Using shackles made in China?

herm

Adventurer
disregarding the lack of brain power or experence in the previous post.....

I am a certified crane operator and i used to run the rigging department in an 1100 seat theater. we riged things like Peter Pan, Miss Sigon... big just off broadway shows. We threw away every non-forged peice in the rigging cabnet from the previous rigger. cable clips, turn buckles, non-stamped shackles, unrated-no name sleeves... etc.

always use CM or Crosby for all of your rigging. Do not go to Home Depot or Ace and buy cheap, china made, diecast parts. They will fail, they will kill someone. I always zip-tie the 2 part shackles. 3 part are required where I work.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I grabbed a few Crosby shackles for $10 each from a fabrication shop that was going out of business. A couple of them look like they have never been used.

Someone mentioned earlier a counterfeit Crosby alert. It was apparently a hoax. From the Crosby Group's website.

Product Alerts

Over the years there have been numerous alerts issued concerning the authenticity of Crosby products. These alerts have resulted from an alert that was generated by a company other than Crosby. The content and photographs of the subsequent alerts are the same as found in the original alert with new titles or sponsoring companies. Crosby provided responses to the original alert at the time, resulting in a retraction from OSHA. The responses, which are still valid today, provided clarification as to the marking of Crosby shackles and issues concerning the reduction in the working load limit.

Click on the link below to view the original alert, subsequent alerts, the resulting Crosby response and accompanying retraction from OSHA.

http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/?tabid=188

Albin

Adventurer
disregarding the lack of brain power or experence in the previous post.....

I am a certified crane operator and i used to run the rigging department in an 1100 seat theater. we riged things like Peter Pan, Miss Sigon... big just off broadway shows. We threw away every non-forged peice in the rigging cabnet from the previous rigger. cable clips, turn buckles, non-stamped shackles, unrated-no name sleeves... etc.

always use CM or Crosby for all of your rigging. Do not go to Home Depot or Ace and buy cheap, china made, diecast parts. They will fail, they will kill someone. I always zip-tie the 2 part shackles. 3 part are required where I work.

What's a 2 part shackle vs. a three part? Screw, body and pin?

Thanks,

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
shackle hoop and pin = two parts

tie wraping the pin prevents it rotating out

3 part has a nut and a split pin for insuring it can't come apart

All offshore -oilfield rigging operations have to use 3 part shackles-

2 part
images

3 part
images

herm

Adventurer
good guess at my current industry. haha i am a field engineer for land based operations in Wyoming.

deepcqm1

WRONG rezdiver!!!

whatever shackles you buy make sure it has the manufacturer name on it and the safe working load. that in itself sets it apart from non certified brands. made in china is ok as long as it is properly stamped and certified.

you will notice on most china generic brands depending the company will either not have the manufacturer symbol or name, or will not have the safe work load. if its not stamped it has not been tested or rated.

also some generic china brands even with the markings will be rated differently. you may compare a china shackle that is 1 inch to a crosby shackle which is 3/4 inches and will have the same load rating. bigger shackle but same rating, they are using different steels and alloys which are not as good which down rates them..

for the most part certified shackles will have the same rating across the board according to the size, sometimes you may get a manufacturer like CM that has used better process and materials and will have a much higher rating for the same thing. you get what you pay for in this area.

also check the manufacturer to see what the safety rating on breaking strength is on that shackle. it may only be a 3:1 rating compared to a standard 5:1 and that is why it is cheaper

DO NOT TAKE THIS ADVICE!1 There is a reason you do not use shackles Made in China. The metals that China uses in the manufacturing of their shackles will the shackle to shatter upon failure causing injury or death. The metals used in shackles Made in USA causes the shackles to bend upon failure or break in two. Big difference in shatter and break.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Do you have data to support this? Metallurgy is a pretty exact science so there should be numbers to support. Otherwise this is just "China bad, USA good".

herm

Adventurer
Any data to support your theory? Not worth it for a few bucks for me, but I have high standards from working offshore.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Otherwise this is just "China bad, USA good".
Exactly. There are cheap as crap factories in the US too. Get stuff from reputable companies, ideally ones that have some oversight and testing by an organization that makes sure the gear is upto standard. That kind of factory could be anywhere in the world.

The only reason I'd recommend avoiding China for a US company is to help keep money in the community so their profits help maintain our roads instead of China's roads.

herm

Adventurer
I'll put money on the Chinese ones breaking first! but if we are just chucking them at each other ill take the Chinese ones. :sombrero:

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I bought some of the Warn shackles w/ a 7/8 pin (4-3/4 WLL) this week via the internet and they are made in China, too. Wish I had found this thread earlier.

All of our shackles are still top quality units, regardless of country of origin. All of them are forged—not cast. The coatings for the Epic Shackles are done in the U.S.

Overland Journal tested our Epic Shackles and rated them very highly. Ours had the highest WLL in the comparison. (Overland Journal - Gear 2017 issue)
Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94