Using shackles made in China?

adrenaline503

Explorer
Hello,

I am looking to get some d-ring shackles but all the ones I have found are made in China. On the Coast Guard ship I worked on we were required (not sure if was official policy) to use shackles stamped "USA" because of concerns that the China shackles were cast incorrectly. Do you run China shackles or is this considered a legitimate concern?

Thanks

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Wouldn't be surprised if mine were made in china or somewhere foreign. Hut all my shackles have a WLL of 8tons or greater. They have held up fine to sustained hard pulls and multiple yanks with KERR.

I won't knowingly buy cheap junk. But if I can find a shackle from a well respected company for under $10, I'm ok with that. Even if it doesn't have warn or something stamped on it.

-Sam

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Last edited:

rezdiver

Adventurer
whatever shackles you buy make sure it has the manufacturer name on it and the safe working load. that in itself sets it apart from non certified brands. made in china is ok as long as it is properly stamped and certified.

you will notice on most china generic brands depending the company will either not have the manufacturer symbol or name, or will not have the safe work load. if its not stamped it has not been tested or rated.

also some generic china brands even with the markings will be rated differently. you may compare a china shackle that is 1 inch to a crosby shackle which is 3/4 inches and will have the same load rating. bigger shackle but same rating, they are using different steels and alloys which are not as good which down rates them..

for the most part certified shackles will have the same rating across the board according to the size, sometimes you may get a manufacturer like CM that has used better process and materials and will have a much higher rating for the same thing. you get what you pay for in this area.

also check the manufacturer to see what the safety rating on breaking strength is on that shackle. it may only be a 3:1 rating compared to a standard 5:1 and that is why it is cheaper

AndrewP

Explorer
Having been a rigger 25 years ago, I would recommend you use the USA shackles with the manufacturing numbers and high ratings. Columbus McKinnon or Crosby.

Admittedly, even a Chinese shackle is overkill for our applications but for $15 as opposed to $10 you don't have to wonder.

I got 5 3/4 rated shackles from Fastenal for a great price. They are the genuine article CM made in USA rated shackle and were a good price to boot. That was a deal here through the Portal-you might search and see if that is still available.

Under no circumstances should you use a shackle without a rating. I saw a bunch of "Smittybuilt" shackles at 4WheelParts. No rating! That says a lot about both Smittybuilt and 4WheelParts.

adrenaline503

Explorer
Thanks for everyone's opinion. I believe where this all started is that on my ship we have 5 cranes and are always doing A LOT of rigging with multi-million dollar science packages. We always used the CM brand when available. It was actually a trip to the four wheel parts store where I saw a ton of shackles that only said "China", not rating. I tried to go to Fastenel this afternoon but they were closed for an emergency.

Albin

Adventurer
Fastenal for me.

Talk is cheap for me though since I pass it on the way home every day, the manager and I know each other by name and I get the 15-40% Boring discount.

I *think* the Tractor Supply versions are made in India, but that's old information since it's been a couple years I've been in there.

Good luck.

Al

mrchips

Adventurer
I have used these, good quality, if you can buy American.

://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=148

timmer2008

Adventurer
I use crosby they are proof tested and Made in USA. they are of industrial quality and used my many industry professionals. if one breaks resulting in injury they will investagate the rig and tackle.

I am a certified rigger in the consruction industry and have seen these used right and wrong on many heavy lifts. I have never seen one fail catastrophically even when brutally side loaded.

It is true I have some others in my box but when the rigging is critical or the load is Heavy I reach for the crosby's

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
American made shackles aren't always the best quality. We use Van Beest shackles that have the green pin, they are also stamped with the WLL. All shackles that are higher quality pieces have the WLL stamped on them generally.

-Alex

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
American made shackles aren't always the best quality.
I don't think anyone was suggesting "Just buy American and you're good to go."
I haven't gone back through the whole thread, but if I'm not mistaken people were suggesting CM or Crosby. That's what we used when I was a rigger, where someone's life literally depended on them not failing.
You learn to not put yourself in harm's way if possible, but one never really knows where a 100ton piece of steel is going to end up if it's rigging fails 200 feet up in the air.

CM and Crosby are what I still use today.

Van Beest are also good, but I wouldn't suggest people just look for a green pin. I have no doubt there is some china crap that has green pins. That's why I didn't mention the orange pin in CM shackles.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
I don't think anyone was suggesting "Just buy American and you're good to go."

Van Beest are also good, but I wouldn't suggest people just look for a green pin. I have no doubt there is some china crap that has green pins. That's why I didn't mention the orange pin in CM shackles.

You are correct, I am currently on a less then stable internet connection in the Swiss country side trying to read through everything, I miss stuff sometimes.:)

-Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz