Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

ab1985

Explorer
They also sell these at Lowes & Home Depot. Just look for "chest handles" in the aisle with the cabinet hardware.

Project510

Adventurer
Forgot to post mine with the actual mounts:

1187925823_e6Dh5-M.jpg

JamesDowning

Explorer
Not the greatest picture... but I found that a simple bungee cord between the handles makes for a great place to store paper towels.

Also... I didn't like the idea of using bungee cords or straps to hold the fridge down. So I took off the bottom fridge plates, and mounted some galvanized steel barstock on top of the U bends, using the feet mounting points. Then on the 1" section that sticks out both sides, there's a hole that matches with a corresponding hole and T nut in the platform. Then 4 bolts secure it down. Might add 30 seconds to the time it takes to secure it, but the hardware gives me peace of mind. I can get better pictures if anyone would like.

124.jpg

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
I really want to like my 63QT fridge, but I continue to have little problems with it. First the plug broke, now something went wrong with the cooling portion. Edgestar has responded quickly and sent parts, however it's still been a pain. This fridge is less than 6 months old.

magentawave

Adventurer
Have any of you experimented with creating a partition inside so one part of the Edgestar works as a refrigerator and the other part would be for keeping stuff frozen like ice cream?

4x4junkie

Explorer
Have any of you experimented with creating a partition inside so one part of the Edgestar works as a refrigerator and the other part would be for keeping stuff frozen like ice cream?
I had thought of trying that on mine, however the cooling coil runs around the entire perimeter at the top, which doesn't seem like it would leave much of an area to be cordoned off for a freezer compartment.

Here's my list of mods for mine:

Getting rid of the DC power socket for a simple polarized pigtail connector (my problem was I kept busting the plug apart on the cord because of how it sticks out the side. This took care of that)

Replaced the plastic side handles with metal chest handles (Lowes, Ace, Home Depot, etc.). I had done the exact same mod with the spring as theksmith so they wouldn't rattle.

Replaced the plastic lid hinges with metal ones (again, Lowes, Ace or Home Depot. For best aesthetics, I did a bit of metal fab on the hinges, I couldn't find any that didn't otherwise need small spacers or washers to clear the black plastic trim around the edge of the fridge).

Sealed up the gap around the condenser coil with some foam weatherstrip (lets the fan draw more cool air in from outside rather than some of the hot air recirculating around inside the cabinet). A couple small dabs of contact cement holds the foam in place.

Interior light (3 AAA cells, 2 standard-type Cree white LEDs, a 33 ohm resistor, and a tiny mercury bulb tilt switch + 3M Scotch bonding tape to secure it to the lid)
I would've preferred to incorporate the light into the lid itself, but there didn't appear to be a way to get the lid apart without destroying it.

Debating on painting the unit a bright white to reflect radiant heat better.

I also put a radio frequency suppression choke & capacitors on the DC input line inside the fridge (when running, these fridges do emit some RF interference that can affect reception on your CB/HAM radio gear. Those without radio gear need not apply).

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I finally picked up another Edgestar 43qt freezer fridge. I see a few nice mods in this thread here to add to it. Bolt under the handle Tie-down plates are on my short list. A little added efficiency too , by sealing around the condenser. :)
Mine will spend some time riding the front deck of the trailer, I suspect. Some added protection is a priority. Anyone using an Edgestar Transit Bag / Cover?
I finally found a reasonable price on one, I think? $109
Sure I could make something, but there is quite a bit to it with openings for the handles, controls and vents. A zipper and the velcro flap lid for access.
I may add a custom cover as an added level of protection for when it is not running.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Last edited:

magentawave

Adventurer
Since you have two of them now, will you use one as a fridge and one as a freezer?

I finally picked up another Edgestar 43qt freezer fridge. I see a few nice mods in this thread here to add to it. Bolt under the handle Tie-down plates are on my short list. A little added efficiency too , by sealing around the condenser. :)
Mine will spend some time riding the front deck of the trailer, I suspect. Some added protection is a priority. Anyone using an Edgestar Transit Bag / Cover?
I finally found a reasonable price on one, I think? $109
Sure I could make something, but there is quite a bit to it with openings for the handles, controls and vents. A zipper and the velcro flap lid for access.
I may add a custom cover as an added level of protection for when it is not running.

Thoughts? Ideas?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Since you have two of them now, will you use one as a fridge and one as a freezer?
No. Poor choice of words on my part. The last one I let go with my Offroad Trailer when I sold it. I kicked myself for that the past year. I finally picked up a "replacement" :)

koly

Observer
plug and socket source?

I'm thinking of a wiring modification and was wondering if anyone knew where to source the same type of plug/socket that is used on the fridge end of the wiring (plug pictured)?
plug.jpg

I'd like to duplicate that plug & socket on a panel in the vehicle rather than using the cigar lighter plug as the cigar version is too deep for the panel I'm thinking of installing into.

Xterabl

Adventurer
I spent months trying to make a separate freezer compartment...crazy things like rectangular ducting for cold air to foam box structures...even cutting through the aluminum "skin" in attempt to prevent thermal conduction thus isolating a partitioned freezer...and NO GO. Just could not work. Now, when the fridge cycles frequently, such as hot ambient environment of 80-100 degrees, there is good freezing. But in low-cycling conditions (50-70 degree ambient temp), the two compartments tend to become more equal in temp due to longer time between compressor cooling.
Heh, I even tried adding low-power PC fan(s) for moving coldest air to freezer compartment.
But the good news is that after all this abuse over the 2.5 years I've owned it, even after I've giving up on the freezer compartment idea, the fridge still works perfectly well for its intended purpose...rugged environment refrigeration.

Note: My aim was to set the thermostat to "fridge temperatures" such as 34-38 degrees, and try to capture/isolate the coldest air into a freezer compartment which would stay below around 20-25 degrees.
But, later...after my failure...I realized a more successful design/operating approach might be to set the thermostat to "freezer temperatures" (not sure here...perhaps 15 - 20 degrees?), and then isolate off a LARGER compartment that is most prone to leaking out to the ambient environment (such as upper parts of the box), which would passively maintain refrigeration temperatures while the freezer temp is controlled actively via the thermostat.
Not sure if I'll ever test this second approach, but just thought I'd mention it along with my other hard-learned lessons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles