Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

pkelly72

Adventurer
Last try:

It didn't need refrigerant. I got a bullit piercing valve and tried to charge it but it was full. When it first starts up the fan runs for about 10 seconds and then shuts off and the compressor may turn on but I'm unsure. When I switch the FF on and off it will do the same thing. So, coolant isn't the issue. Has anyone else had a similar problem or know what else I should check?

Thanks in advance

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Last try:

It didn't need refrigerant. I got a bullit piercing valve and tried to charge it but it was full. When it first starts up the fan runs for about 10 seconds and then shuts off and the compressor may turn on but I'm unsure. When I switch the FF on and off it will do the same thing. So, coolant isn't the issue. Has anyone else had a similar problem or know what else I should check?

Thanks in advance

Sorry I don't know. I had an issues as well but no answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crossfaced

Observer
I have a 12/120v 65 quart fridge that I use in my jeep for camping. It a Whynter 65 model reefer/freezer and I bought it last March. I used it on a month long trip and it worked great. Now, even on AC voltage, when I use it it works fine for 3 days then stops cooling, although it still is running.

Im hoping it may just have a leak somewhere and needs a refrigerant recharge and to find and repair the leak. Also I don't think returning under warranty is not an option because I modified electrically so it could run more efficiently on the jeeps battery.

Does this sound like a low refrigerant issue?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have a 12/120v 65 quart fridge that I use in my jeep for camping. It a Whynter 65 model reefer/freezer and I bought it last March. I used it on a month long trip and it worked great. Now, even on AC voltage, when I use it it works fine for 3 days then stops cooling, although it still is running.

Im hoping it may just have a leak somewhere and needs a refrigerant recharge and to find and repair the leak. Also I don't think returning under warranty is not an option because I modified electrically so it could run more efficiently on the jeeps battery.

Not if it runs good for 3days. Might be an overheated circuit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

teotwaki

Excelsior!

What sort of modifications?

MarcoPolo

Have you tried connecting a LED to the compressor controller to see diagnostic codes? Will have to look up which terminals to connect to.

mmbirtcher

Observer
The plastic handles broke on our last trip, so I looked into finding new ones that were (if possible) made for the Edgestar and would require little if any modifications. I found stainless steel handles made for the Whynter (spelling?) fridge which I had read was actually the same fridge. I had looked at local hardware stores and wasn't real happy with my options there, so I ordered these online.
9FD47CD0-4412-434A-B1FD-060C651423FE.jpg
The handles turned out to have a different bolt pattern, but when I removed the old plastic base, I found the cabinet had the holes cut for the Whynter stainless handle. Very interesting... but, they weren't threaded. Luckily I had just learned about rivnuts from a build thread by rezarf over on IH8Mud so I picked one up. I drilled out the holes with a 5/16 (the 1/4 was too small and I didn't have an 11/16 which may have been perfect.
E6A800B6-1524-492E-8AA5-0925E67723A0.jpeg
Here's the finished product. Simple fix, and now I can tie the fridge down much better.
ACC4C14C-14DC-438D-AA56-4B6AB69906CC.jpg

fire_strom

Adventurer
It actually turned out to be a bust. A day later they refunded my money and said it was no longer available.
-G(rrrr)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles