Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
b99a91a1c9305a96dddf5a5810393f30.png

Can I upgrade my 45g to this?

My display doesn't have the battery status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crossfaced

Observer
I'm going upgrade my wiring in my jeep and my fridge. The cord from the fridge get quite hot and occasionally shuts down. After reading this whole thread it seems the fix is to upgrade the wires.

I'm going to go directly from the battery from the (+) & (-) terminals to the rear of the jeep. For the connections in the back I'll probably go with the 45amp Anderson Powerpoles.

My questions....

Should I upgrade the 12v wiring all the to the power supply of the fridge, and if so what size wire should I use? I opened the fridge up and the wires are small...I'm guessing 16 gauge.

Thanks

Crossfaced

Observer
I decided on overkill. Got 10-3 SJOOW cord and went 10 gauge all the way to the power supply. I also got a 30 auto breaker and Anderson SB45 connector to disconnect when needed.

snowblind

Adventurer
My questions....

Should I upgrade the 12v wiring all the to the power supply of the fridge, and if so what size wire should I use? I opened the fridge up and the wires are small...I'm guessing 16 gauge.

I have a similar setup in my Suburban.

Since you're going to trouble of running the long wire maybe add a distribution/fuse/breaker box a couple of feet from the fridge. That way you power the fridge AND/OR something else like rear aux lights, air compressor, etc, etc.

The short fridge wire can be small gauge. I would hard wire this to 12v (no cig connect) and leave it in the vehicle full time. Buy another 12v cord if you need to move the fridge.

Matt

pkelly72

Adventurer
My 43q stopped cooling. The compressor will kick on only when first plugged in then shuts off. I'm guessing it's low on refrigerant. Does anybody have a link to a kit to refill it? Nothing to expensive.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
My 43q stopped cooling. The compressor will kick on only when first plugged in then shuts off. I'm guessing it's low on refrigerant. Does anybody have a link to a kit to refill it? Nothing to expensive.

It's a sealed system. If it's low than you have a leak. Yes it's recommended to recover old freon. Put system in a vacuum to check for leaks than rechsrge to spec.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
This seems to be the place to ask but I have a whynter fridge 45qt for a few years. Has always been plugged in. Set between 33-38. In use it will be in the truck on 12v and when not in use I leave it plugged in at the house on 110.
Just the other day I notice it was running for a long time and some how the temp set was at 00. No one has access to adjust it but me. I changed it back to 38 and it still ran but it seems like it was just the power supply fan and not compressor.
Now today it won't stop running. I adjusted it to the temp it was reading to see if it would stop and if just kept running. Like it doesn't know the internal temp or something. I had it at 38 and it ran it down to 30 till i unplugged it. Left it unplugged for an hour. Plugged it back in and I'm seeing what it will do now.

Anyone had a similar issue and no of the repairs ?? Thank you.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
So after having it unplugged it seems to bring it to the set temp. Well a few degree less which is normal and turns off but the power supply fan keeps running??

pkelly72

Adventurer
I tried to add 134 via the piercing valve and none would go in. My compressor isn't turning on. Any advice would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior